THE KATO is finally here
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #46 of 90
Never owned a moondrop product. Might pull the trigger. How is their DD tuning for metal and other fast genres? I'm looking at this or the 7hz timeless, and bqeyz summer.
Yeah, I ordered the 7Hz Timeless a couple of nights ago. I'm back and forth on these. I really dont need another set of IEMS but I am curious. Can anyone here comment on the fit of the KXXS? Are they flush? Jut out? Sleepable. I've got a set of Xelentos that fit the single DD slot and and are super diminutive wile sounding great. But for $200 I am tempted as I've never heard anything from Moondrop. Comments welcome.

Sep 10, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #47 of 90
Yeah, I ordered the 7Hz Timeless a couple of nights ago. I'm back and forth on these. I really dont need another set of IEMS but I am curious. Can anyone here comment on the fit of the KXXS? Are they flush? Jut out? Sleepable. I've got a set of Xelentos that fit the single DD slot and and are super diminutive wile sounding great. But for $200 I am tempted as I've never heard anything from Moondrop. Comments welcome.
Man, I want an xelento so bad. My dailies are the RHA CL2. They are fantastic with some EQ. What do you listen to on the xelento? How are they for rock or metal if you listen to them.

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #48 of 90
I have my timeless in hands and they fit my ears well. kxxs is ok with me, Kbear Aurora is better than kxxs in many ways, timeless has a good timbre of planar.

P10908-190729.jpg
P10908-191016.jpg
P10908-191220.jpg

I read from the FR that KATO will have more bass than kxxs, maybe because many people like Aria, Aria has more bass than kxxs and better tasting

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #49 of 90
I'm heavy into rock, southern rock, prog rock, jazz, acid jazz, blues, funk and a bit of classical sprinkled in. It all sounds good on the Xelento. The Xelentos are a little warm with thick bass, present mids and good treble response. I'd call them an intimate presentation. Not particularly wide or high but they have depth and present with musicality. They really do make a good all rounder but they probably get the least amount of use now as I spend a lot of time with my RAH's and Fusions both of which are wider, taller, deeper and have better extension & sparkle up top. Frankly, I'm looking for a Mega Value chifi that I can sleep with when I travel. That's why I ask about the fit of the KXXS, I figure the KATO will have similar profile and perhaps improved. If you can sleep with the KXXS inserted, good chance it's possible with the KATO as well. But truth be told, I could be happy with anything I've got at present and just stop buying, alas I keep reading these threads and keep getting sucked in.....

Sep 11, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #50 of 90
I'm heavy into rock, southern rock, prog rock, jazz, acid jazz, blues, funk and a bit of classical sprinkled in. It all sounds good on the Xelento. The Xelentos are a little warm with thick bass, present mids and good treble response. I'd call them an intimate presentation. Not particularly wide or high but they have depth and present with musicality. They really do make a good all rounder but they probably get the least amount of use now as I spend a lot of time with my RAH's and Fusions both of which are wider, taller, deeper and have better extension & sparkle up top. Frankly, I'm looking for a Mega Value chifi that I can sleep with when I travel. That's why I ask about the fit of the KXXS, I figure the KATO will have similar profile and perhaps improved. If you can sleep with the KXXS inserted, good chance it's possible with the KATO as well. But truth be told, I could be happy with anything I've got at present and just stop buying, alas I keep reading these threads and keep getting sucked in.....
Thanks for the feedback.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #54 of 90
I was reading some reviews stating the kxxs sounds just like the starfield. Will the kato differ?
Not much. It still follows Moondrop's house sound so it won't be that different from earlier offerings. It is supposed to be 2021 version of KXXS so if you fancy that type of sound then you're fine else you might have something more of what you already have

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #55 of 90
I was reading some reviews stating the kxxs sounds just like the starfield. Will the kato differ?
There are differences between the Aria/Starfield/KXXS. I can distinctly hear differences between the Starfield and Aria. IEMs I own. You don't see big differences on a graph, but there are differences in textures throughout the range, soundstage, etc.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #56 of 90
Can anyone comment on general weight of the KXXS? I'll be using KATO at the gym and suspect the weight COULD pose an issue. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #57 of 90
I feel like Moondrop understood what they had when they moved from the Kxxs DLC driver to the Starfield's nanotube driver, hence they dropped the price. That's carried through with the Aria being priced where it is. I'm personally looking forward to seeing what Moondrop does with the Kato now that they have so much R&D experience under their belts.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #59 of 90
My best friend ordered the Kato, but it will take a while to ship. he said he will send it to me, a brief review and compare with single DD: my kbear believe
P10916-144732.jpg

Sep 22, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #60 of 90
Moondrop Stay updated on Moondrop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.moondroplab.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back