The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 10, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,852 of 3,535
Has anyone in the USA tried to have JVC woodies (any model) repaired? The nozzles and plastic part just before the wood body were chewed by my ****ING cat and now they are unusable.

I contacted JVC USA but they can't help. Tried to contact JVC Japan support but it requires a Japan mailing address to even fill out the contact form.

My favorite IEMs... Seemingly could be easily fixed with new plastic nozzle pieces, but so far it seems I'm SOL. Any suggestions?

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #2,853 of 3,535
Has anyone in the USA tried to have JVC woodies (any model) repaired? The nozzles and plastic part just before the wood body were chewed by my ****ING cat and now they are unusable.

I contacted JVC USA but they can't help. Tried to contact JVC Japan support but it requires a Japan mailing address to even fill out the contact form.

My favorite IEMs... Seemingly could be easily fixed with new plastic nozzle pieces, but so far it seems I'm SOL. Any suggestions?

Man, that sucks... My cat ate my Sony MDR-EX500's once. That Schiit hurts.

Where did you buy them? Because that's probably the route to take. Unless they were second hand..?

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,854 of 3,535

Hope it goes well but I've a feeling you are out of luck on this one...

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,855 of 3,535

It's probably cheaper to buy FX650 and use the parts then fix it locally.

Mar 11, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #2,856 of 3,535
Thanks guys for the replies. I was able to pick up a slightly used pair on head fi to replace them. And I may take vladzakhar's idea and try using the plastic piece with nozzle off of a cheaper pair of woodies to repair the broken set. Unfortunately I'm not a gal who is good at fixing stuff :) I'm also not really a cat person (even less so now!), but came to own one because I'm a sucker for animals.

Incidentally I read that cats like ear wax (gross I know) which explains why he loves my IEMs. Shouldve realized it when he ate my 1st pair of spiral dots.

Mar 11, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,857 of 3,535
@howdy
If you're hoping that a new cable will alter the sound to your preferences, then you'll be disappointed.

Modding and EQ will have real, tunable impact.
Adding a cable will simply remove money from your wallet.
Now, if you want a custom cable for mechanical functionality, durability or style preference, then I say go for it.
Simply put, a cable should not affect the sound unless there is a change in resistance. Even then it's very minimal, and you cannot control exactly how it will affect the sound.
Remember that expensive =/= better.

So if you want the moon audio cable for its durability, go for it but don't expect it to balance out the 850 because it won't.

I know I'm late to reply, but even so. You're almost right, resistance change does make a difference but it's more dramatic the lower the impedance of the headphone - in-ears usually have impedance values around 16 ohms, so a cable that's 2 ohms vs one that's 4 ohms can make a subtle difference, and electricity isn't as simple as it seems, different metals have different impedance characteristics which can react differently to certain frequencies and impulse responses which is not to say exotic materials are best, or expensive but they're all slightly difference. Silver is the most conductive metal, but gold has the least contact resistance and copper oxide isn't very conductive whereas silver oxide is and gold isn't very reactive so its least susceptible to corrosion. Not to mention stress and strain can effect a cables performance over time and things such as single core vs multiple strands can change the behavior of the electrical a bit. Shielding can also play a roll since many electronics in our daily life carelessly emit radio waves (amps too). I'm not an expert by any means, my knowledge is very limited but I'm pretty sure all these things play a very small role but can be noticeable. I think if we should generalize it should be to say that lower impedance cables are better, and if possible single core cables are better and silver has the least resistance. I think the most perceivable differences would be impedance ones though, the lowest and highest frequencies tend to be harder to reproduce.

Mar 11, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,858 of 3,535
@LaPierre

I agree with what you're saying. Had I cared enough, I'd have written something very similar to what you just did: However, if you were to make a number of cables with those differences for testing, I believe that you'd likely not be able to hear an audible difference after volume matching. Every single cable I've made has been around 1ohm or less. I think you'd have to purposefully implement a higher resistance. So, the rest of the variables are just changing materials. Most of those materials simply alter the level of conductivity. That is only going to change the volume level. Sure, cables can degrade over time depending on material corrosion or breaking, but we were discussing the idea of new cables using "quality" (as he put it) materials vs industry standard materials. Finally, shielding is a non-issue for the vast majority of average headphone users outside of a studio environment. In this case, we are talking about 1.2m iem, single-ended TRS cables being used at home or on the go. Some places could possibly cause an issue, but I've yet to encounter one. Your portable amp will likely add quite a bit more noise from cellphone interference than your cable will. 

So in the end, I agree that that the most perceivable differences would come from impedance, but there would only be such a difference between cables if it was intended that way during the building. After volume matching, I highly doubt there would be significant perceivable differences - I'd put money on it. 
I've built many, many cables for both headphones, iems, ciems, etc. I've played with various materials and configurations. I've made cables that cost a total of $9, up to a total of $280. I've compared a stock cables vs $800 rectangular geometry, solid-core, pure-silver and most everything in between. I'd still pair a $250 pure silver +gold cable against a $15 mogami cable, volume matched, any day of the week. 

Obviously, people are entitled to their opinions. I can respect that those opinions can and will differ. When it comes to cables, I think that sometimes people heavily exaggerate without understanding the reasons behind a perceived change. There are so many other factors at play. Hell, we have threads dedicated to them. 

I myself made a cable for the JVC FX850 that I previously posted. See below. Does it sound better than the stock cable? I'd say no. Was it made of "quality" materials? I'd say yes.  

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #2,859 of 3,535
Just received my pair today and boy are they beautiful 
eek.gif
 and they sound just as good as they look!
However, none of the tips seem to be the correct size for my always problematic ears. 
I have pretty small ears and the smallest tip usually works with other headphones but because the housing is so large, the tip is unable to support the weight and hold in my ear.
Anybody have a good recommendation for longer narrow tips to use with the FX850?
I just ordered some Copmly T400 to see if those works as they are longer but I would prefer silicone tips. 
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,860 of 3,535
  Just received my pair today and boy are they beautiful 
eek.gif
 and they sound just as good as they look!
However, none of the tips seem to be the correct size for my always problematic ears. 
I have pretty small ears and the smallest tip usually works with other headphones but because the housing is so large, the tip is unable to support the weight and hold in my ear.
Anybody have a good recommendation for longer narrow tips to use with the FX850?
I just ordered some Copmly T400 to see if those works as they are longer but I would prefer silicone tips. 
frown.gif

You definitely need Spinfits.  PM me if you want to try some: 

Mar 12, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #2,861 of 3,535

You definitely need Spinfits.  PM me if you want to try some: 

Woah! Those are definitely what I need. They look like they extend much more than the stock silicon tips do.
eek.gif

Also, very nice picture! That AK with croc skin looks gorgeous, and of course, the FX850 as well 
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #2,863 of 3,535

first i hear of them... they look very interesting

Spinfits have been game-changing, game-ENDING for me.  They have a very simple feature : a flexible joint at the base of the silicon bell that allows the whole structure to rotate around the end of the IEM nozzle.  They fit a little deeper and seal better than any other tip I`ve tried.  Check this pic:  

From L to R is a Spinfit, a Spiraldot and an Ortofon.  The entire `head` of the spinfit can bobble in any direction, so it can conform to the bend of the ear canal.  Also, the silicon used (at least in the Japanese versions I have) is extremely `high quality` (not sure what that means other than it seals well, comfortably and long)...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back