The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #2,206 of 3,535
Here in Tokyo.  And I bought the wrong size; I can`t get a good seal with them, should have bought large.  They weren`t cheap : 840¥ for 4...  About 7 dollars.  

The blue silicons in the pics are from Panasonic, my faves from my fxz200. 

Ill buy if youre let me so :)

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #2,207 of 3,535
Man I've been trying to source some of those for forever now. Hope Musica or someone else will start carrying them soon. Do you find the size to be comparable to Ortofons? Where a L = a standard M?

Interesting.  I`m swimming in silicon tips here, so I`ve long since forgotten which tips are from my ortofons.  In the shop yesterday,  I visually matched the blue Panasonic tip (in my pics above, which are Large) to the Large and Medium SpinFits, and it seemed like the Medium SpinFit was closest to the Large Panasonic.  Here they are now: 

So for whatever reason, this size Panasonic provides the perfect seal, while the SpinFit does not.  They are cool, though.  I`ll go back and buy the Large . .    

If you`re really keen, you can Paypal me and I`ll send you some. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #2,208 of 3,535
Interesting. Just so I'm getting this right, are the Panasonics comparable in size to Sony hybrids? Cause I typically wear a medium with the Sony. I'm getting the sense that the Spinfit tips are one size larger than average? So perhaps a small Spinfit = medium Sony? And I appreciate the offer. I'll probably take you up on it once I nail down the appropriate sizing.

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #2,209 of 3,535
Yikes - I really couldn`t say.  I`ve never tried the Sony tips.  I use large AudioTechnica FineFit silicons with my se846... 
The Large Panasonics (blue) are smaller than the Large JVC tips that came with the fx850 :

Check this out: 

Large and Medium JVC tips in black; Medium SpinFit in white

Medium SpinFit on fx8500

One thing I am suspicious of is that the SpinFits are in Japanese packaging.  It makes me wonder if the distributor has labeled smalls as mediums, and mediums as large.  The shop only has M and L sizes; I didn`t see any S, which would make sense if the S were actually labeled as M....  Sounds wonky but they do that all the time with imports in Japan, clothes, beds, etc.  Everything is one size off.    

Confused yet ? 

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #2,210 of 3,535
Actually, scratch that. They do have smalls.  

I guess I forgot to point out that the reason I cannot get a seal with the SpinFit Mediums is because they are TOO SMALL, compared to the Panasonic Larges, even thought they are visually similar.  

d

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #2,212 of 3,535
  Actually, scratch that. They do have smalls.  

I guess I forgot to point out that the reason I cannot get a seal with the SpinFit Mediums is because they are TOO SMALL, compared to the Panasonic Larges, even thought they are visually similar.  

d

Does tips change the sound as well ? like the cable.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #2,213 of 3,535
Hi, my girlfriend from Japan is coming to visit me over the winter and I wanted to make use of that and make her bring a FX850 with her!

So, my question is, where can I get the cheapest FX850 online in Japan please? I heard there were some going at 20000 Yen!

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2,214 of 3,535
  Hi, my girlfriend from Japan is coming to visit me over the winter and I wanted to make use of that and make her bring a FX850 with her!

So, my question is, where can I get the cheapest FX850 online in Japan please? I heard there were some going at 20000 Yen!

You won`t find the cheapest deals online.  Some of the specialty shops have in-store sales, selling gear at prices that are below what the distributors allow, I believe.  I see this all the time : the shop`s webpage shows a price; go in and there`s a handmade sign on a scrap of paper showing 0.9 or 0.75 of the online price.   There are also a lot of `open box` deals here.  

Is your girl in Tokyo or Osaka ? 

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #2,215 of 3,535

You won`t find the cheapest deals online.  Some of the specialty shops have in-store sales, selling gear at prices that are below what the distributors allow, I believe.  I see this all the time : the shop`s webpage shows a price; go in and there`s a handmade sign on a scrap of paper showing 0.9 or 0.75 of the online price.   There are also a lot of `open box` deals here.  

Is your girl in Tokyo or Osaka ? 

Damn, wish I didn't hear that. I guess the Amazon deal for 25000 yen will have to do then!

She is in the countryside so kind of far from both Tokyo and Osaka. Thanks for the reply though!

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #2,216 of 3,535
Just out of curiosity, did you notice a difference in sound from the jvc tips and Panasonics? I ask because to me the woodies sound a lot better with the silicone tips than the foams they came with. I attributed it to the larger bore size

And I'm another one looking for those crazy spinfit tips.
Isn`t it nuts ?  Japan often has these crazy low prices, I guess because shops stock such huge numbers of these kinds of things.  My AK120ii was also nuttily cheap (same shop).  

I didn`t try the Shure cable because my se846 is for sale and it`s boxed up ready to go.   

I really want to try the balanced out from my AK...  

I`ve been listening to the 850 all morning and they . . . are . . . 

... A M A Z I N G 

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:59 AM Post #2,219 of 3,535
Just out of curiosity, did you notice a difference in sound from the jvc tips and Panasonics? I ask because to me the woodies sound a lot better with the silicone tips than the foams they came with. I attributed it to the larger bore size

And I'm another one looking for those crazy spinfit tips.

I only use silicons, and can`t stand the whole foam hassle/filth factors.  And I`ve found that different silicons can influence SQ significantly.  Insertion depth, seal, bore diameter, etc, all impact sound, in my opinion.  Paramount, however, is getting a good seal, and I found that like the rest of my body, my ear canals are asymmetrical.  The blue Panasonics in my pics above are actually only for my left ear; for my right I use a slightly smaller black tip and I`m not sure of the maker.  With this combo, the seals are perfect. 

I still haven`t tried the Large spinfits; the mediums are too small to get any seal at all . . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back