The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Sep 22, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,981 of 3,535
They come with foamy tips that are similar to Comply Tips. I think the FX850 has too much bass with the foamy tips; they also lose that fantastic open and airy soundstage.

Inserting the FX850 deeply (e.g. opening one's mouth while inserting the plugs into the ears), bass is just too much, with even the standard rubber tips.

I quite like the FX850 and find the bass just slightly overdone. So I use the rubber tips and don't insert them deeply into the ears. Sound correct and quite enjoyable that way.

The extra bass makes this a good for walking around. And no noise from the cable whatsoever. Just be careful of traffic!

I find the insertion pretty shallow hence if comply tips can allow for a deeper placement in the canals. Been using the stock spiral dot tips, which do work although they feel like they are coming loose at times.

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,982 of 3,535
  It kind of looks like the HE-400 FR graph... I decided I was selling the HE-400 within a month of owning them if for nothing but that dip in the upper midrange, even though they were my first serious pair. The sparkle or sibilance in the highs didn't ever really bother me that much, but that dip in the upper midrange just sapped music of a natural feeling. Do these have that same sort of sound? If so these definitely wouldn't be for me... (EDIT: For reference I'm a big fan of things like Carbo Tenores, Fostex TE-05, KSC75, LCD2.2 and such)

I just love the Carbo Tenore despite lacking somewhat in overall energy/punch. It is my favorite phone and I have a few other phones to compare with (see my profile). Had the FX850 for a few days before I realized it suffered from channel imbalance so it's now on warranty repair at JVC in Japan (I live in Sweden, i.e., on the other side of the world, lol). Anyway, the FX850 has a different signature compared to the Tenore, but still shares quite a bit of similarity with the Tenore . Simply and slightly carelessly put; like a Tenore on steroids. You'll be blown away by the energy this phone can project with for example drums and a symphony orchestra at full blast. Haven't heard anything else that comes near, not even my only full size phone Sennheiser HD 650. I really don't think you'd be disappointed, on the contrary!

I suspect that the FX850 will become my favorite phone once I get enough time with it. The channel imbalance was pretty annoying and despite compensating for it by using a parametric EQ I didn't quite trust the sound because of this defect.

Just get it, you know you want to! 
wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention; I did apply james444's ingenious "j444 mod" as I felt the bass was too much for my taste! I even use this mod on the Tenore to get closer to a reference signature.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,983 of 3,535
  I just love the Carbo Tenore despite lacking somewhat in overall energy/punch. It is my favorite phone and I have a few other phones to compare with (see my profile). Had the FX850 for a few days before I realized it suffered from channel imbalance so it's now on warranty repair at JVC in Japan (I live in Sweden, i.e., on the other side of the world, lol). Anyway, the FX850 has a different signature compared to the Tenore, but still shares quite a bit of similarity with the Tenore . Simply and slightly carelessly put; like a Tenore on steroids. You'll be blown away by the energy this phone can project with for example drums and a symphony orchestra at full blast. Haven't heard anything else that comes near, not even my only full size phone Sennheiser HD 650. I really don't think you'd be disappointed, on the contrary!

I suspect that the FX850 will become my favorite phone once I get enough time with it. The channel imbalance was pretty annoying and despite compensating for it by using a parametric EQ I didn't quite trust the sound because of this defect.

wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention; I did apply james444's ingenious "j444 mod" as I felt the bass was too much for my taste! I even use this mod on the Tenore to get closer to a reference signature.

Thanks for that hah. I like the Tenores sound a lot. I actually think they have plenty of punch because of the lack of sub-bass roll-off, but it's a weird sort of punch. My biggest problem with them is that the highs are kinda dry and don't extend that well... still punching way above their price range, though.

I totally do just say screw it and buy a pair of FX850 but I'm broke right now. What I really want a chance to listen to a pair, but I don't think that's going to happen without taking advantage of someone's returns policy... anyway, it's something to look forward to

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #1,984 of 3,535

wink.gif

Thanks for that hah. I like the Tenores sound a lot. I actually think they have plenty of punch because of the lack of sub-bass roll-off, but it's a weird sort of punch. My biggest problem with them is that the highs are kinda dry and don't extend that well... still punching way above their price range, though.

I totally do just say screw it and buy a pair of FX850 but I'm broke right now. What I really want a chance to listen to a pair, but I don't think that's going to happen without taking advantage of someone's returns policy... anyway, it's something to look forward to

Well, if you can't afford it, don't order it, as you'll probably rather starve than return it!
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, if I could only afford the Tenore I'd still be very, very happy.
Once you do get the FX850 though, don't forget to let us know what you think!

BTW, I couldn't really tell about the treble extension of the Tenore as my hearing doesn't go any further that about 11 kHz. To me it just sounds more or less perfect. It is the graces of old age I guess!
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,985 of 3,535
I find the insertion pretty shallow hence if comply tips can allow for a deeper placement in the canals. Been using the stock spiral dot tips, which do work although they feel like they are coming loose at times.

Yeah it's that loose fit that I hate.  But the sound is sooooooooooo damn good.  I'm currently on my second go around with the hd650 and while it's better this time as I am using a solid state amp, it still doesn't have the punch and quality of bass that the fx850 has.  Maybe I'll sell it if I can scrape up the money for a th900.  

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,986 of 3,535
  Well, if you can't afford it, don't order it, as you'll probably rather starve than return it!
evil_smiley.gif

BTW, I couldn't really tell about the treble extension of the Tenore as my hearing doesn't go any further that about 11 kHz. To me it just sounds more or less perfect. It is the graces of old age I guess!
rolleyes.gif

Definitely will let y'all know when I finally get my hands on 'em... I gotta unsubscribe from this thread now though otherwise I fear my credit card might do something stupid while I'm not looking. In the mean time I have the Westone 2 which are actually quite spectacular in their own right, very natural and realistic sound with the right tips.

These are now #2 on my list... #1 is trying to trade my Senn HD650 for some HE-400i. But that's a topic for another thread....

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #1,988 of 3,535

evil_smiley.gif

rolleyes.gif

Definitely will let y'all know when I finally get my hands on 'em... I gotta unsubscribe from this thread now though otherwise I fear my credit card might do something stupid while I'm not looking. In the mean time I have the Westone 2 which are actually quite spectacular in their own right, very natural and realistic sound with the right tips.

These are now #2 on my list... #1 is trying to trade my Senn HD650 for some HE-400i. But that's a topic for another thread....

All phones have their pros and cons. I don't believe in perfect sound reproduction more than I believe in peace in the middle east. Each phone has it distinct characteristics, much like wine. And just as there is good wine and poor wine and an awful lot in between, the same is true for IEMs. Haven't heard the Westone 2 but I'm sure it's a good phone. I have the Sennheiser HD 650 and I really think the FX850 is way better and way more enjoyable. Haven't heard the HE-400i either, but the FX850 is so good I wouldn't be surprised if you'd prefer it over the HE-400i. Oh well, I'm sure someone else can give you better input on that. Anyway, good luck!

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,989 of 3,535
Ok, I'm feeling lazy... Can't be arsed looking through all the thread... How do these sound with the lowly iPod Classic?:p

You really don't have to look through the entire thread, instead you can "Search This Thread":

You'll soon find out that there are four posts containing "iPod Classic" in this thread, but unfortunately non of them answer your question.

I have the iPod Classic but haven't tried it with my FX850. The reason being that I'm waiting for my FX850 to return from Japan after warranty repair (channel imbalance, only had it for a few days). I guess it will take a couple of weeks or so before I get it back, but once I do I'll try the combination and will let you know what I think.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,990 of 3,535
I've had the 750's for a bit of time now, they were replacements for my TDK BA-200's (My daily drivers at the time) they've been fun to listen to (pair very well with my desktop setup) but don't know if I'm looking for the dual BA sound more.

Also has anyone dealt with the overseas warranty (I assume in Japan) as I think there is some issue with the right side, might just be something on my portable setup though.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,991 of 3,535
  I've had the 750's for a bit of time now, they were replacements for my TDK BA-200's (My daily drivers at the time) they've been fun to listen to (pair very well with my desktop setup) but don't know if I'm looking for the dual BA sound more.

Also has anyone dealt with the overseas warranty (I assume in Japan) as I think there is some issue with the right side, might just be something on my portable setup though.

What issue? I had channel imbalance in my FX850, sent it back to my Japanese eBay seller and it's now on repair or replacement. The left right earpiece was sounding a lot louder than the right left earpiece (4 to 6 dB louder).

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,992 of 3,535
  What issue? I had channel imbalance in my FX850, sent it back to my Japanese eBay seller and it's now on repair or replacement. The left right earpiece was sounding a lot louder than the right left earpiece (4 to 6 dB louder).

Bit of the same with the left, it sounds scratchy in the right at times and getting some odd feedback. I bought directly from Amazon Japan. 

Might be an imbalance issues like yours.

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,994 of 3,535

Bit of the same with the left, it sounds scratchy in the right at times and getting some odd feedback. I bought directly from Amazon Japan. 

Might be an imbalance issues like yours.

I thought I had an imbalance issue too as my left was louder too, but put it down to the fact I was running beta software on my iPhone. It's fine now though, so not sure?

So, maybe we're on to something here?! Channel imbalance isn't always obvious. It takes quite a bit of focus and experimenting to really detect - especially when one is used to it and haven't questioned it -, as well as a balanced track you can really trust (white noise in stereo or a perfectly balanced voice). So to those of you who own the FX850; just how sure are you your phone doesn't suffer from channel imbalance?

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,995 of 3,535

So, maybe we're on to something here?! Channel imbalance isn't always obvious. It takes quite a bit of focus and experimenting to really detect - especially when one is used to it and haven't questioned it -, as well as a balanced track you can really trust (white noise in stereo or a perfectly balanced voice). So to those of you who own the FX850; just how sure are you your phone doesn't suffer from channel imbalance?

a lot of times the channel imbalance is due to dirt/dust at the cable connector. plug out and use a blower to blow of the dirt/dust( even if you dont see them, its smaller than you think)

one way to test if it is imbalance due to dust is this:

listen it via a powerful amp and increase the gain, most of the time the channel imbalance will be gone as the higher somehow can 'push' the signal thru.

my fx850 had channel imbalance once. i realised it only happened when i use them with handphone. when amped, the problem is gone. so i when down by the shop i got it and the guy just plug out the cable and use a blower to clear the dust and everything is back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back