The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Sep 5, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,906 of 3,535
On the stock cable the speed and PRaT does seems a lil lacking compared to his BA counterparts in the performance tier.

Thats why when I swapped back to the stock cable from the 93spec its just like what you said - Steering away from a cleaner bass iem.

The headroom increased overall especially in the low regions being cleaned up and hastened, fully untapped treble potential for shining yet unfatiguing treble sparkle.

In fact one of my ex-colleagues found my pairing of the 850's performance unbelivably close to ToTL BA Universals when it comes to overall merits on Imaging, Mids and Highs with Clean Bass Texture.

(which both of us used to be working for a headphone boutique store in Singapore)

He listened a great deal to the stock FX850 demo but found imaging to be lacking for his taste; but never found it so with my cable on DX90 Headphone-Out and was actually amazed by how imaging of the FX850 can go from slight negative to a big positive in his books.

While I don't feel that the FX850 did anywhere bad in imaging at all on stock cable, I always appreciate more third person opinions on these.

(P.S. And @Leo888 haven't look me up and try it yet, would be good to have his thoughts on these too..)

Haven't been doing much listening lately having gone thru weeks of intense events. Do still read the thread and did some purchasing but not much listening. Still waiting on the Hydra V2 cable due to some issues and will be delayed. Will be in touch again when I get those things behind me. Sorry for the wait though.

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #1,907 of 3,535
  Haven't been doing much listening lately having gone thru weeks of intense events. Do still read the thread and did some purchasing but not much listening. Still waiting on the Hydra V2 cable due to some issues and will be delayed. Will be in touch again when I get those things behind me. Sorry for the wait though.

I hope my hydra gets here in 2 to 3 weeks too.  We're in the same boat it seems as I've seen you and others in the nocaudio/treeo lack of communication and delays thread.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #1,908 of 3,535
850 react to source strong and are able to deliver amazing highs with clean bass or can give lows and mids which enrich the sound and focus on a more natural type sound reproduction,losing a bit of clarity, but the beauty is they can really give you just a little of everything you do or don't want, Versatile. And they sound very good without ampimg on different sources

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #1,909 of 3,535
Can't wait to try with some nice cables, and better amp along with my dunu 1000s I'm a happy camper

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,910 of 3,535
Can't wait to try with some nice cables, and better amp along with my dunu 1000s I'm a happy camper

was using a rsa tomahawk w 850. It sounded great w deep lows n extended highs. Just got a cayin c5. While maintaining e lows n highs, e vocal is one step back w clearer separation. Has more air around it n a wider n deeper sounstage. lovedit

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,911 of 3,535
was using a rsa tomahawk w 850. It sounded great w deep lows n extended highs. Just got a cayin c5. While maintaining e lows n highs, e vocal is one step back w clearer separation. Has more air around it n a wider n deeper sounstage. lovedit

I've been looking at this amp too, sounds like a good one. Might get one for some experiment.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #1,912 of 3,535
850 react to source strong and are able to deliver amazing highs with clean bass or can give lows and mids which enrich the sound and focus on a more natural type sound reproduction,losing a bit of clarity, but the beauty is they can really give you just a little of everything you do or don't want, Versatile. And they sound very good without ampimg on different sources

Totally agree with this.  While they don't have a bass tuning port like the IE80s, they can definitely put out enough bass or treble or whatever you want with slight EQing.

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,914 of 3,535
Just a shout-out to Dsnuts , I just bought ifi audio's flagship, Micro iDSD, I shall cook it up for at least 24 hours as instructed, hope to be able to report back how the 850s pair up with it. (Short session with it at the store was positive by the way!)

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,915 of 3,535
Ok so, I think that:

a) I am getting used the sig of these
b) the burn in is starting settle them down
c) all of the above.

Not getting the negative feelings I was last week when I first got them.
While on some heavier tracks I still find the treble a little strident, its definately manageable and probably completely normal. (I am not a treble head).

Just listened to Foo Fighters - My Hero (Skin and Bones Live track) through my DX90 - GoVibe Portatube and I got lost in it.
It was amazing.

So yeah while I still have some small issues with them, they still blow me away on some tracks and I am progressively liking them more and more overall.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,916 of 3,535
Just a shout-out to @Dsnuts , I just bought ifi audio's flagship, Micro iDSD, I shall cook it up for at least 24 hours as instructed, hope to be able to report back how the 850s pair up with it. (Short session with it at the store was positive by the way!)

Oh yea that little item there got my interest as well. You should be good for a source for a while with that. I was tempted to grab one but invested on some geek products that I am eagerly waiting on. Let us know how that jives with your FX850. I bet it will sound stellar.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #1,917 of 3,535
  Ok so, I think that:

a) I am getting used the sig of these
b) the burn in is starting settle them down
c) all of the above.

Not getting the negative feelings I was last week when I first got them.
While on some heavier tracks I still find the treble a little strident, its definately manageable and probably completely normal. (I am not a treble head).

Just listened to Foo Fighters - My Hero (Skin and Bones Live track) through my DX90 - GoVibe Portatube and I got lost in it.
It was amazing.

So yeah while I still have some small issues with them, they still blow me away on some tracks and I am progressively liking them more and more overall.

You should give them a real good burn in. It changes the sound for the much better. I would go for a week straight to see what happens. Your just starting to probably hear a bit of change with some use but a serious beat down on the drivers will bring out the butterfly of the caterpillar that is the open box FX850.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #1,919 of 3,535
These are the best IEM I've ever owend, but I really don't like how they feel  because of the short insertion and the weight always makes it feel like it's ready to fall out.  And I'm in between a M and L and am always flipping between both hoping that I can settle on a size that feels good.  I almost want to go back to full sized cans, but I know that the sound of the fx850 is better than some headphones that I've owned. Even better than the beyerdynamic T1. I guess I do like the bass too much on these.

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,920 of 3,535
  These are the best IEM I've ever owend, but I really don't like how they feel  because of the short insertion and the weight always makes it feel like it's ready to fall out.  And I'm in between a M and L and am always flipping between both hoping that I can settle on a size that feels good.  I almost want to go back to full sized cans, but I know that the sound of the fx850 is better than some headphones that I've owned. Even better than the beyerdynamic T1. I guess I do like the bass too much on these.

A few suggestions:
1. Try wearing them over the ears instead of just straight.
2. Try comply foamies.  I didn't like any of the tips but the comply foamies are much better for long term use.  The included foamies hurt my ears after fairly short periods to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back