The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Sep 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #1,892 of 3,535
It is so precious I bubble wrapped the woods,b4 keeping them in a hardpouch :)
Off my Asus FonePad it just sounds right...textured, deep, mellow, comfy.

Sep 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #1,893 of 3,535
Hey guys, with great sadness I'm probably going to have to sell my 2 week old FX850's. They've only been used the past week commuting to work, the first week I was off so burned them in for 150 hours.

DM if interested, I'm in the UK.

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,895 of 3,535
I picked up a pair of these yesterday
I must say from my initial impressions, these sound fantastic with the right music, but seem to punish me with other genres that it does not seem to excel at.

Using my DX90 - Portatube into these, I got completely lost in Eric Clapton - Unplugged, Alice in Chains Unplugged.  I was in heaven.

Next I put on some Disturbed and Black Sabbath and I really was unimpressed in its ability to "keep up" with the music.
And these aren't exactly fast, but it just seemed to get very laboured and splashy/thrashy.

I will admit, I have not read through this entire thread just yet, so this may be just the character of these iem's, burn in may help or I may need to play with tips some more.

In any case, I am incredibly impressed with these with the right music, very impressed.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,896 of 3,535
Just got these today - I'm in heaven.   Had the JVC fx500s and loved them but the cable broke just after a year, meaning that they were binned.  After that I vowed never to buy another set without a replaceable cable.  So when the IE800s came out I passed.  This policy has served me well - my TF10s have been through several cables and a set of Sennheiser IE80s are on their 3rd.  But I still wanted real woodies from JVC so when I saw these I knew I was getting them.

Because I just got them about 12 hours ago I'll keep impressions short.  Here are the key points:

- Blew me away right out of the box and from my Galaxy Note 3.  These are not unforgiving phones that require an audiophile setup to enjoy.

- Compared to the IE80s they are more forward sounding.  Less bass than the IE80s at max bass but gets very, very low (per the specs), though the IE80s do as well.  I tested this with several tracks such as the woofer cooker to ensure that no sub-bass was getting missed and they passed with flying colors.  Like the IE80s they still manage to have a huge soundstage.  Also like the IE80s they sound more like speakers rather than headphones/IEMs, which I love.  I feel like they're more natural sounding than the IE80s - something I attribute to the wood.  The IE80s do win in terms of isolation and if I'm on public transport I'll pick them.  The other thing to note is that they're huge and stick out of the ears far more than the IE80s.  Remind me of the UE TF10s that way.  More on the sound compared to the IE80s: mids are more forward.  While it still has a bit of a V shaped sound, it seems to be flatter by default than the IE80s.  That said, EQ the bass or treble and it will respond perfectly.  That is the beauty of these ultra-wide frequency drivers - you don't get fall off at the extremities.  This isn't to say that I hate my IE80s after them, but I do feel that the fx850s are the objectively superior headphones.  They sound about like what I would have expected the IE800 to sound like when compared to the IE80s.

- Some IEMs are great for audiophiles but "normal" people don't get it.  My TF10s were that way.  Etys are like that too.  The second my wife (who generally doesn't understand my headphone fetish) put these on she was blown away.  

- They are made of wood and are beautiful.  That said, wood isn't the most durable material, so I would plan on babying them.  I take my IE80s to the gym but I wouldn't do that with these.  Especially given that they are "semi-open", they are primarily for home enjoyment.  Again, if you're looking for something to listen to as you ride on public transportation I would pass on these.

- From a strengths/weaknesses perspective, I would say that they're definitely all-arounders.  They do everything very well.  Assuming one is ok with the size and the fact that they are semi-open, I can't imagine hating them.  However, the crowd that loves Etys and the relatively bass shy hyper-detail that comes with them is not really the target audience.  

- Price wise I got mine shipped for $318 and I consider them very fairly priced.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bargain given that I have seen people comparing them favorably to far more expensive IEMs.

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,898 of 3,535
Hey guys, with great sadness I'm probably going to have to sell my 2 week old FX850's. They've only been used the past week commuting to work, the first week I was off so burned them in for 150 hours.

DM if interested, I'm in the UK.

attachment.php

:grin:

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #1,900 of 3,535
I picked up a pair of these yesterday
I must say from my initial impressions, these sound fantastic with the right music, but seem to punish me with other genres that it does not seem to excel at.

Using my DX90 - Portatube into these, I got completely lost in Eric Clapton - Unplugged, Alice in Chains Unplugged.  I was in heaven.

Next I put on some Disturbed and Black Sabbath and I really was unimpressed in its ability to "keep up" with the music.
And these aren't exactly fast, but it just seemed to get very laboured and splashy/thrashy.

I will admit, I have not read through this entire thread just yet, so this may be just the character of these iem's, burn in may help or I may need to play with tips some more.

In any case, I am incredibly impressed with these with the right music, very impressed.

If you need more speed and edginess, I recommend you to try them out with a TWag cable! =)

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,901 of 3,535
Just got these today - I'm in heaven.   Had the JVC fx500s and loved them but the cable broke just after a year, meaning that they were binned.  After that I vowed never to buy another set without a replaceable cable.  So when the IE800s came out I passed.  This policy has served me well - my TF10s have been through several cables and a set of Sennheiser IE80s are on their 3rd.  But I still wanted real woodies from JVC so when I saw these I knew I was getting them.

Because I just got them about 12 hours ago I'll keep impressions short.  Here are the key points:

- Blew me away right out of the box and from my Galaxy Note 3.  These are not unforgiving phones that require an audiophile setup to enjoy.

- Compared to the IE80s they are more forward sounding.  Less bass than the IE80s at max bass but gets very, very low (per the specs), though the IE80s do as well.  I tested this with several tracks such as the woofer cooker to ensure that no sub-bass was getting missed and they passed with flying colors.  Like the IE80s they still manage to have a huge soundstage.  Also like the IE80s they sound more like speakers rather than headphones/IEMs, which I love.  I feel like they're more natural sounding than the IE80s - something I attribute to the wood.  The IE80s do win in terms of isolation and if I'm on public transport I'll pick them.  The other thing to note is that they're huge and stick out of the ears far more than the IE80s.  Remind me of the UE TF10s that way.  More on the sound compared to the IE80s: mids are more forward.  While it still has a bit of a V shaped sound, it seems to be flatter by default than the IE80s.  That said, EQ the bass or treble and it will respond perfectly.  That is the beauty of these ultra-wide frequency drivers - you don't get fall off at the extremities.  This isn't to say that I hate my IE80s after them, but I do feel that the fx850s are the objectively superior headphones.  They sound about like what I would have expected the IE800 to sound like when compared to the IE80s.

- Some IEMs are great for audiophiles but "normal" people don't get it.  My TF10s were that way.  Etys are like that too.  The second my wife (who generally doesn't understand my headphone fetish) put these on she was blown away.  

- They are made of wood and are beautiful.  That said, wood isn't the most durable material, so I would plan on babying them.  I take my IE80s to the gym but I wouldn't do that with these.  Especially given that they are "semi-open", they are primarily for home enjoyment.  Again, if you're looking for something to listen to as you ride on public transportation I would pass on these.

- From a strengths/weaknesses perspective, I would say that they're definitely all-arounders.  They do everything very well.  Assuming one is ok with the size and the fact that they are semi-open, I can't imagine hating them.  However, the crowd that loves Etys and the relatively bass shy hyper-detail that comes with them is not really the target audience.  

- Price wise I got mine shipped for $318 and I consider them very fairly priced.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're a bargain given that I have seen people comparing them favorably to far more expensive IEMs.

Glad you love them! Sound-customize wise the woodies responds well positively to every cable (albeit not a lot) I have tried with it.

It reacts to different cables well but sounds great on its own, making it really versatile! =)

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,902 of 3,535
If you need more speed and edginess, I recommend you to try them out with a TWag cable! =)

Yeah it is odd. It almost feels slow, yet harsh and shrill.
But with other genres it sounds amazing.
These are all quality flac recordings too.
Going to try some comply to see if that tame it a little.
Failing that I might try move them on for something more to my tastes overall.

I am not denying they are great. Perhaps just not for me?

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,903 of 3,535
Yeah it is odd. It almost feels slow, yet harsh and shrill.
But with other genres it sounds amazing.
These are all quality flac recordings too.
Going to try some comply to see if that tame it a little.
Failing that I might try move them on for something more to my tastes overall.

I am not denying they are great. Perhaps just not for me?

Try burning them in. The bass is slow and sloppy when it's right out of the box, but it tightens up very well after 50+.

Ask Dsnuts or any of others whos had it for awhile. If it's still too slow after the 50hr mark then you can decide

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #1,904 of 3,535
Nah tonality is a flaw of this IEM, that's just an example of adapting to it's sound. Go back to a cleaner bass IEM and it still sounds slow and sloppy no matter how many hours you got on it. It's got unique strengths, but I wish the bass were better. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,905 of 3,535
Nah tonality is a flaw of this IEM, that's just an example of adapting to it's sound. Go back to a cleaner bass IEM and it still sounds slow and sloppy no matter how many hours you got on it. It's got unique strengths, but I wish the bass were better. 

On the stock cable the speed and PRaT does seems a lil lacking compared to his BA counterparts in the performance tier.

Thats why when I swapped back to the stock cable from the 93spec its just like what you said - Steering away from a cleaner bass iem.

The headroom increased overall especially in the low regions being cleaned up and hastened, fully untapped treble potential for shining yet unfatiguing treble sparkle.

In fact one of my ex-colleagues found my pairing of the 850's performance unbelivably close to ToTL BA Universals when it comes to overall merits on Imaging, Mids and Highs with Clean Bass Texture.

(which both of us used to be working for a headphone boutique store in Singapore)

He listened a great deal to the stock FX850 demo but found imaging to be lacking for his taste; but never found it so with my cable on DX90 Headphone-Out and was actually amazed by how imaging of the FX850 can go from slight negative to a big positive in his books.

While I don't feel that the FX850 did anywhere bad in imaging at all on stock cable, I always appreciate more third person opinions on these.

(P.S. And Leo888 haven't look me up and try it yet, would be good to have his thoughts on these too..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back