The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Aug 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,831 of 3,535
I have both the Heaven V and the JVC's, haven't listened to the Heavens for a while (not because I don't like them, just too much new stuff, too fast, too much office work, etc). When I get a chance, (hopefully next day or 2) could pull them out and compare if you'd like

That would be wonderful!
For me as college student spending so much money on a single IEM is huge investment and any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm a college kid too, so deciding on this IEM took me a while. I don't understand how people can just buy headphone after headphone! :p If you're a vocals guy then it seems like the Heaven V is gonna be the one for you. I don't own either, but I've done a lot of research on the two because I was originally going to purchase the Heaven V.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #1,832 of 3,535
I'm a college kid too, so deciding on this IEM took me a while. I don't understand how people can just buy headphone after headphone! :p If you're a vocals guy then it seems like the Heaven V is gonna be the one for you. I don't own either, but I've done a lot of research on the two because I was originally going to purchase the Heaven V.

Once you start working and have extra cash to buy stuff you'll find something to blow it on unless you have kids or a gf that wants a lot of stuff.  For me, headphones aren't a top priority but my car is.  Never ever get into tracking a car.  It is a far more expensive hobby than this.  And if I had enough money left over for more audio stuff, I'd probably go nuts on a noble k10 and chord hugo but these FX850 are plenty good for me.  I just need to get another amp/dac that fits on my desk instead of the one that I have now.

I'm still waiting for my 8 wire hybrid from  Nocturnal Audio via the treoo site to pair with these.  I really really hate treoo.  They are late to respond to emails even though their site says that they respond within hours (more like a few days) but the cable is too much of a deal to pass up.  

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #1,833 of 3,535
Once you start working and have extra cash to buy stuff you'll find something to blow it on unless you have kids or a gf that wants a lot of stuff.  For me, headphones aren't a top priority but my car is.  Never ever get into tracking a car.  It is a far more expensive hobby than this.  And if I had enough money left over for more audio stuff, I'd probably go nuts on a noble k10 and chord hugo but these FX850 are plenty good for me.  I just need to get another amp/dac that fits on my desk instead of the one that I have now.

I'm still waiting for my 8 wire hybrid from  Nocturnal Audio via the treoo site to pair with these.  I really really hate treoo.  They are late to respond to emails even though their site says that they respond within hours (more like a few days) but the cable is too much of a deal to pass up.  

Well unless you happen to stay in Singapore like me and Leo do, I would probably stay my hands off them and just preferably get from the Nocturnal guys directly. (Treoo is still one of the good websites for me to check MSRP updates though)

I only dealed with them over the Hisoundaudio Studio 3rd ANV and iBasso DX50 which took me a week or so before going down to collect from them in person.

I did have an unpleasant experience over the Tralucent Portable Amp namely slow updates and delays which only led to them notifying of a halt to their partnership.

Apart from that, those staying right in Singapore should be fine, cant assure its the same for those staying outside of Singapore, unfortunately.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,834 of 3,535
I have both the Heaven V and the JVC's, haven't listened to the Heavens for a while (not because I don't like them, just too much new stuff, too fast, too much office work, etc). When I get a chance, (hopefully next day or 2) could pull them out and compare if you'd like

That would be wonderful!
For me as college student spending so much money on a single IEM is huge investment and any help is greatly appreciated!

OK, quickie comparison, came home late tonight from work, didn't feel like doing anything but listening to headphones, figured I'd do the comparison. Pulled out the DX90, Line out to ALO National, listened to Alex McMurray "That Train" and "Mr Weitz" from "How to Be A Cannonball", Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" from "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", Mozart'sViolin Concerto, Marianne Thorsen/Trondheim from a HDTracks Sampler, All Time Low "Somewhere in Neverland" from "Don't Panic", The Band "The River Hymn" from "Cahoots", Mavis Staples, "Can You Get to That", from "One True Vine", Sonny Rollins "St. Thomas" from "Saxaphone Collossus", and some other assorted tunes, all uncompressed, some Hi Rez (I know, I suffered to do this, but I'm just that kind of guy).
First order of business...Whichever pair I had in at any time was great...wasn't a moment I didn't enjoy the listening, and don't think you can go wrong with either. They don't sound AT ALL alike, though, quite different beasts. I'll start with bass. The JVC has more, period. If that is your main criteria, no contest. It's more in volume, more intense/present, tends to drive the music with a real intensity. FAD's bass isn't missing, it's tight, controlled, has bounce, but there's less of it (not a bad amount for a single BA design, though). Mids-FAD takes it here, these are definitely mid-centric, or even balanced across the frequencies. Vocals are more up front...the JVC's are a bit V in frequency response. Words easier to understand on the FAD. They both do great highs, JVC has bit more energy here, but not to the point of bothering me (but I'm older than many of you, may not be as sensitive to highs, though I do notice when they are tizzy). Both give you good color of cymbals, maybe a bit more differentiation on the FAD, but it's really close. Where I find the biggest differences are in overall presentation. The FAD's have a wide open soundstage, great detail, great rendition of the space between instruments, and, as they say on the FAD thread, manage to keep everything in an organic whole, with details being there, but separated cleanly, in a clean, real sounding presentation. The JVC's, while they do the soundstage thing well, fairly wide, doesn't go out as much, by comparison things sound a bit congealed. On the other hand, if the FAD is a clean picture on the recording, the JVC is a technicolor rendering. Everything is rich, tone color saturated, like a photo that slightly overemphasizes some colors, to gorgeous effect. Still, details/space/harmonies are not as cleanly delineated on the JVC as the FAD.
So, reading the above, you'd guess I'd give the nod to the Heaven V, and you'd be right, but I like them both so much glad I have them both. Sometimes nothing does it like a driving bass, y'know. (while I'm typing, listening th hi-rez "Truckin" by the Dead, same conclusion).
Didn't comment on fit...both not the easiest in my ears. FAD is a tube/bullet design, which I usually do well with, but find myself having to fidget with it a lot to keep that seal, which, when you lose it, you really lose the bass. The JVC has one of these chambers that sticks out, which I usually do very bad with-I'm generally a tough fit-but, for this style, surprisingly OK seal, still have to fidget some, oh well.)

(I know I'm going to get flac for this from the JVC crowd, which I actually consider myself one of...you can send any jazz FLAC, hi rez, will do, send it to me any time...)

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,835 of 3,535
My 20 year old daughter, who loves music but (like the rest of my family) humors me when it comes to all this gear, was around while I was doing the comparisons, so I had her listen to the JVC and FAD without telling her anything (All Time Low track)...she knows I like stuff that sounds good, but was shocked at how different the presentation of the 2 were, and, without any prompting from me, described the same differences, and also preferred the FAD. :)

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,836 of 3,535
My 20 year old daughter, who loves music but (like the rest of my family) humors me when it comes to all this gear, was around while I was doing the comparisons, so I had her listen to the JVC and FAD without telling her anything (All Time Low track)...she knows I like stuff that sounds good, but was shocked at how different the presentation of the 2 were, and, without any prompting from me, described the same differences, and also preferred the FAD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you a for taking your time to do this comparison!
I still have some general question though if you would be so kind to answer them.

1. Which of the IEM's is warmer/smoother/less fatiguing to hear overall?
2. You said that the sound-stage is very wide and expanded on the FAD. Does this affect the sound that it makes it distant/thin? I love hearing a lush, but balanced sounding IEM.
3. Can both of these IEM's described as All-rounder? Beside metal, I love hearing all kinds of music.

Again I must thank you for taking the trouble to do this 
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,837 of 3,535
Nice comparo DR JAzz. I agree with your take on the two but for me it isn't that the FX850 mids are V shape it is more that the FADs are forward in sound signature in comparison. Compare the FADs to any phone and they all will be V or U shape in comparison is my point. The smoothness and fullness of the FADs are commendable and don't sound like your traditional BA phone. The only aspect I didn't like on the FAD V, VI is that the treble does not have enough bite for me. In fact for rock n metal the FAD is not recommended. Guitar bite or the lack there of is a weakness on the FAD phones. Otherwise for vocal orchestral, slower music it does have a nice lush forward presentation. The bass obviously drops off in quantity and quality when comparing it to the FX850 but the mids are very nice on the FADs..I find the treble and low bass to be a bit soft on the FADs. which is not a bad thing, depending on your preference in sound. If vocal performance is your thing must try out a FAD. 

Also for guys that like this type of full forward type sound presentation. I would look into the ATH-CKR10. Probably the only earphone that I can say does one better than the FADs for vocals though it can easily be a toss up here.. Will also give the FX850 a run for bass as well.  

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,838 of 3,535
My 20 year old daughter, who loves music but (like the rest of my family) humors me when it comes to all this gear, was around while I was doing the comparisons, so I had her listen to the JVC and FAD without telling her anything (All Time Low track)...she knows I like stuff that sounds good, but was shocked at how different the presentation of the 2 were, and, without any prompting from me, described the same differences, and also preferred the FAD. :)

Thank you a for taking your time to do this comparison!
I still have some general question though if you would be so kind to answer them.

1. Which of the IEM's is warmer/smoother/less fatiguing to hear overall?
2. You said that the sound-stage is very wide and expanded on the FAD. Does this affect the sound that it makes it distant/thin? I love hearing a lush, but balanced sounding IEM.
3. Can both of these IEM's described as All-rounder? Beside metal, I love hearing all kinds of music.

Again I must thank you for taking the trouble to do this :p  

Pretty much agree with what DS had to say, the bass on the JVC's does lend drive to rhythmic music, rock, dance music, etc, and the hyper-texture gives it a certain "wow" factor, that hits you immediately.. I'm not sure about the reverse V on the FAD's, have to give them a closer listen...I guess by definition if the bass drops off, it is very mid centric. I did think the JVC had more energy in the treble region, but I felt the treble was cleaner and had more definition on the FAD, with the fine touch and subtle accents of jazz drummers all there if you listen for them, more than the JVC, even though the quantity on the JVC is more. I'd agree that the drive, as I said, grabs you immediately on the JVC's, though when I switched to the FAD, didn't find it boring with stuff like the Dead, or All Time Low (though I do wish for more bass sometimes).
as for the questions...
1)I'd have to say the JVC is "warmer", though, as I mentioned, it is a bit hyper-real, bigger than life in that regards. Don't find the FAD to be at all lacking in that area, more spot on, as opposed to exaggerated some on the JVC. I found the FAD less fatiguing in my even short comparison time.
2)No, the wide soundstage didn't make it distant or thin at all, that's the magic of the FAD. I have found the Tenores, which are known for the wide soundstage, to thin textures out some (sort of the "anti-JVC" in that way), and disliked that aspect of the sound. Textures on the FAD are like the 3 bears said, not too thick, not too thin, juuuuuusssst right!
3)As I said, I think either will work as all rounders, though, as DS said, their strengths may flatter one type of music or another more. Vocals are to die for on the FAD. But I never found listening to any style on either one fatiguing, lacking enjoyment or involvement (again, this was a quick A-B...I'm in the middle of a software turnover in my office, that has slowed things to a crawl, and has me home late most nights. Doing the comparison was fun, though, kind of therapy:)) So, while I give the nod to the FAD, I don't think you'll go wrong with either, and, when I'm not doing heac-to -head comparisons, I enjoy listening to the JVC just fine.
Heck, that's why I have both :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #1,839 of 3,535
Pretty much agree with what DS had to say, the bass on the JVC's does lend drive to rhythmic music, rock, dance music, etc, and the hyper-texture gives it a certain "wow" factor, that hits you immediately.. I'm not sure about the reverse V on the FAD's, have to give them a closer listen...I guess by definition if the bass drops off, it is very mid centric. I did think the JVC had more energy in the treble region, but I felt the treble was cleaner and had more definition on the FAD, with the fine touch and subtle accents of jazz drummers all there if you listen for them, more than the JVC, even though the quantity on the JVC is more. I'd agree that the drive, as I said, grabs you immediately on the JVC's, though when I switched to the FAD, didn't find it boring with stuff like the Dead, or All Time Low (though I do wish for more bass sometimes).
as for the questions...
1)I'd have to say the JVC is "warmer", though, as I mentioned, it is a bit hyper-real, bigger than life in that regards. Don't find the FAD to be at all lacking in that area, more spot on, as opposed to exaggerated some on the JVC. I found the FAD less fatiguing in my even short comparison time.
2)No, the wide soundstage didn't make it distant or thin at all, that's the magic of the FAD. I have found the Tenores, which are known for the wide soundstage, to thin textures out some (sort of the "anti-JVC" in that way), and disliked that aspect of the sound. Textures on the FAD are like the 3 bears said, not too thick, not too thin, juuuuuusssst right!
3)As I said, I think either will work as all rounders, though, as DS said, their strengths may flatter one type of music or another more. Vocals are to die for on the FAD. But I never found listening to any style on either one fatiguing, lacking enjoyment or involvement (again, this was a quick A-B...I'm in the middle of a software turnover in my office, that has slowed things to a crawl, and has me home late most nights. Doing the comparison was fun, though, kind of therapy:)) So, while I give the nod to the FAD, I don't think you'll go wrong with either, and, when I'm not doing heac-to -head comparisons, I enjoy listening to the JVC just fine.
Heck, that's why I have both
smily_headphones1.gif

perfect answer! you helped me a lot. I am gonna go for The FAD VI, which should give me a little more Bass on top of the qualities of the FAD V.
I share your opinion on the Tenores and that made me excited to hear how the FAD VI sounds like. The JVC are still very,very interesting though, but I decided on my gut feeling. Also I like the looks of the FAD more ;D
Much appreciation!

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #1,840 of 3,535
Walked into a shop selling the latest westones, shures, Akg iems etc...
The salesman trying to interest me to test out some.
Pulled out my fx850 n let the salesman listen to it,
He went ecstatic...said " wow wee wats this, sound so huge, 3D surround.."
His arms went up gesturing in the air, trying to express what he heard.:)

Fx850 truly has a special sound...v diff from many other ofthesame iems .

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #1,841 of 3,535

as for the questions...

Heck, that's why I have both :)

perfect answer! you helped me a lot. I am gonna go for The FAD VI, which should give me a little more Bass on top of the qualities of the FAD V.
I share your opinion on the Tenores and that made me excited to hear how the FAD VI sounds like. The JVC are still very,very interesting though, but I decided on my gut feeling. Also I like the looks of the FAD more ;D
Much appreciation!

:beerchug:

Cool...haven't heard the Heaven VI or even read much about it, if it is the V + bass, may have to put it on the WANTED LIST! (It;s a pretty long list, and the items on it are getting more expensive all the time :biggrin: Let me know what you think when you get them. Enjoy!

Aug 14, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,842 of 3,535
beerchug.gif

Cool...haven't heard the Heaven VI or even read much about it, if it is the V + bass, may have to put it on the WANTED LIST! (It;s a pretty long list, and the items on it are getting more expensive all the time
biggrin.gif
Let me know what you think when you get them. Enjoy!

Actually they should be quite similar in most aspects. The VI has a slightly more bass presence/punch and sound more lush overall.(according to user opinions)
You might as well put the FAD Lab 1 instead on your list, people on the FAD thread are praising them like it's the 2nd coming of Jesus. 
biggrin.gif

The only downfall is the slightly expensive price-tag ;D 

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,843 of 3,535
Dropping by Osaka next week, wondering if I should pick-up the FX850. I am wondering how would they compare with the Zero Audio Carbo Doppio which is half the price. Would I be blown away or are they close to the doppios. Not sure what to expect, perhaps someone with both could chime in.

On a side note I was thinking of picking up the JVC SZ2000 as well just to hear what the hype is all about. Stuff I own and can refer to are Klipsch Image X10, UE Triple.Fi, Etymotic ER-4P, HD650, AKG K551, Denon D600 & Philips Fidelio L2.

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #1,844 of 3,535
Dropping by Osaka next week, wondering if I should pick-up the FX850. I am wondering how would they compare with the Zero Audio Carbo Doppio which is half the price. Would I be blown away or are they close to the doppios. Not sure what to expect, perhaps someone with both could chime in.

On a side note I was thinking of picking up the JVC SZ2000 as well just to hear what the hype is all about. Stuff I own and can refer to are Klipsch Image X10, UE Triple.Fi, Etymotic ER-4P, HD650, AKG K551, Denon D600 & Philips Fidelio L2.

If you have the 551s and the L2,and you like their sound, you wouldn't like the SZ2000. If you read the thread, you'd find heavy EQ is required to make them sound "good". And speaking from expecting them tbh, for the money, you could get better basshead cans.

The FX850s are better. The timbre and soundstage is bigger and better than the Doppios, mids I'd give to the Doppios, if only for its slightly forward presentation.

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #1,845 of 3,535
For the FX850, are they worth twice the money from the Doppios. I rarely use IEMs anymore cos I still prefer the sound of full size cans,  but the FX850s are so handsome and its only 270usd in Japan. The Doppio is only 105usd though.

As for the SZ2000, just curious to hear how low they can go, perhaps will test them out first. I do like the k551s for general music but tend to gravitate back to the hd650. So was thinking of getting something different for gaming, movies & EDM perhaps. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back