The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Jul 14, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #1,591 of 3,535
Oh yeah, I was just saying myself that exceptions can definitely exists. They're just unlikely, in comparison to misunderstandings. But yeah, it'd be pretty sweet to be able to hear down to 10 hertz or lower. 
o2smile.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,592 of 3,535
That's an interesting answer because technically that is how we hear in general. The vibrations on the hair cells in the cochlea's Organ. Which in turn is relayed to the brain. It is all perception.

Well, the "vibrations", (actually waves in fluid), in the cochlea are the result of a mechanical event before it. IE tempanic membrane -> ossicles -> oval window(of cochlea) -> inner ear fluids -> hairs on Organ of corti -> vestibulocochlear nerve -> brain. The chain when compared to audio gear goes source -> amp -> dac > cable -> sound. Pretty similar to the way our chains are setup.

The tympanic membrane, "eardrum" is amplifying/transferring the energy that hits it.

So air movement will transfer energy to the eardrum to be amplified and create the waves in the inner ear that will perceived as sound. At such low frequencies below 20Hz, perceiving the difference is pretty much super human.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,593 of 3,535
Well, the "vibrations", (actually waves in fluid), in the cochlea are the result of a mechanical event before it. IE tempanic membrane -> ossicles -> oval window(of cochlea) -> inner ear fluids -> hairs on Organ of corti -> vestibulocochlear nerve -> brain. The chain when compared to audio gear goes source -> amp -> dac > cable -> sound. Pretty similar to the way our chains are setup.

The tympanic membrane, "eardrum" is amplifying/transferring the energy that hits it.

So air movement will transfer energy to the eardrum to be amplified and create the waves in the inner ear that will perceived as sound. At such low frequencies below 20Hz, perceiving the difference is pretty much super human.

You seem read up, that's definitely a far better explanation than I could've offered. 
biggrin.gif
 I wasn't sure why exactly different frequencies were more or less sensitive to our hearing, so my explanation was lacking.

Jul 14, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #1,594 of 3,535
That's the very simplfied macro level description. Things quickly get confusing when you move to the cellular level, let alone the molecular level.

Luckily it really doesn't matter.
What does?
I put the JVC850s in my ears and they sound great. Good enough for me.

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #1,596 of 3,535
I've got a pair of these coming from the US. I hope from what I've read it lives up to expectation. I'm a bit of a bass head and I really only listen to Kpop, Mainstream Pop, Pop Rock, Uplifting Electronic and Pop Punk. 90% of my collection is female vocalist/girl groups. 

My only other headphone are Philips X1 - Run from a Fiio X3. I don't use a home set up at all as I'm constantly moving around the home.

Jul 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,598 of 3,535
Mine is coming today since I purchased it from hatry here for a great great price. Let's see what's the hype about. I used to own Shure SE535, Sennheiser IE8, ATH CKS77, and Atrio MG7 for IEMs. Now I just have the Ultrasone Pro 900 cans, so yea you can see that I'm a basshead, but at the same time looking for non muddy bass so that it wouldnt cover up the vocals. I listen to EDM, mainly hardstyle, hard trance, handsup, uplifting trance, and happy hardcore, which means i like hard punchy kick drums (not like the soft mainstream house cheesy music). Also listen to JPop/JRock since I like electric guitars and chill downtempo stuff to sleep with. Fiio's silver cable so it'll be my first experience to witness whether a change of cable can change the sound. Can't wait to share my experience with them soon!

Jul 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,599 of 3,535
Mine is coming today since I purchased it from hatry here for a great great price. Let's see what's the hype about. I used to own Shure SE535, Sennheiser IE8, ATH CKS77, and Atrio MG7 for IEMs. Now I just have the Ultrasone Pro 900 cans, so yea you can see that I'm a basshead, but at the same time looking for non muddy bass so that it wouldnt cover up the vocals. I listen to EDM, mainly hardstyle, hard trance, handsup, uplifting trance, and happy hardcore, which means i like hard punchy kick drums (not like the soft mainstream house cheesy music). Also listen to JPop/JRock since I like electric guitars and chill downtempo stuff to sleep with. Fiio's silver cable so it'll be my first experience to witness whether a change of cable can change the sound. Can't wait to share my experience with them soon!

Good to hear that! Btw its an SPC (Silver-Plated Copper) not Silver from Fiio.

Nevertheless it should give you the clean and lively bass that you want, if its still lacking for you (usually not), you should try the Ortofon Tips which heightens the bass by a few decibels which also adds more rumble to it at the same time.

The bass from the Ortofon tips would usually be a little too much for audiophile's preference but probably one of the best flanges for bassheads' taste.

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,600 of 3,535
I received my HA-FX850 last Friday and started comparing them to EPH-100, SE535SE and ASG-2.
With a short initial try, they seem to have roughly the same signature as the ASG-2 with tighter bass. No need for EQ, forward voices, very good instrument separation (for dynamic drivers).
For half the price of ASG-2, they seem to be a good deal and they look awesome (I was missing the looks of my HA-FX700)

I had them burn-in for about 100 hours (pretty much full time) to see if it would change anything, but in the mean time, I got an otitis in my right ear, so I'll resume testing when I can hear properly again...
So bloody annoying not to be able to listen to music with headphones or IEMS until I heal...

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #1,601 of 3,535
Wow that sounds rough, I had a lot of ear infections when I was younger so I understand. The eartips smells nasty too.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,603 of 3,535
.....OMG...so i received mine yesterday....so much words to say on how much i enjoy them but i don't know how to type all that out in a single post

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,605 of 3,535
Spent a few hours with this 850 on my fone....so mellow n relaxing,
That big spacious sound, totally enjoyable. Buy one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back