The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #95 of 3,535
  Are these the same as the FX700? The FX700 were very nice but the bass and recessed mids really ruined it...

Not the same. These do have what I call authoritative bass but it is well controlled and stay out of the mids. The mids I think are the big change on these. The FX850 is balanced real nicely. No recession..

I'm really confused as of why JVC would go for an MMCX connector cable. Those cables suck. Shallow sockets and shallow pins = Disaster. <_<

Understandable. This is why I don't plan on experimenting with what is already good on the phones. The cable is really nice quality actually and unless one buys a real expensive cable to replace them with I don't see the need to replace them. 

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #97 of 3,535

Not the same. These do have what I call authoritative bass but it is well controlled and stay out of the mids. The mids I think are the big change on these. The FX850 is balanced real nicely. No recession..

If you have or ever tried JVC HA-FXD80, could you give some comparison, how does it compare with the FX850 ?
I have & like FXD80 quite a lot, for some recordings, especially classical, for air, detail, and clarity.
Thanks!

Mar 8, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #98 of 3,535
how are these compared to say the RE-262 / EQ-5 ?

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #99 of 3,535
  what brand/kind of cables could you buy to replace the originals? Can you post a link or a pic? Does replacing the cable make the sound change?

Shure replacement cables. Depends on the material. All silver for example will change the sound. More detailed and less bass is what I am guessing. But like I said no need as the stock cable is very nice and is not a cheapo stock deal. It is silver coated OFC wire. About as good as it is going to get in stock form.

If you have or ever tried JVC HA-FXD80, could you give some comparison, how does it compare with the FX850 ?
I have & like FXD80 quite a lot, for some recordings, especially classical, for air, detail, and clarity.
Thanks!

These are completely different from the FXD80. From memory the FX850 is not a U shape sound like the FXD80s. It is the scope of sound that is the main difference between these. THe FXD80 stage is nice for a smaller microdriver in ears but don't compare to the FX850s much grander sound. I am not kidding when I mention these come as close to a fullsized can in sound..The FXD80s are great for classical as they have very nice imagery and black space.. The FX850 while larger in sound has great imagery as well. A lot of that JVC housing tuning with different rings and such inside the housing is evident here. I will get back later with a proper A/B. Tonality wise the FX850 is about as good as it gets..There is a richness about the sound that is not overly cooked..

IT is a much grander sounding. Fuller everything including the mids. The mids are simply awesome on the FX850. Vocals on the FXD80 was not their strong suit because of the relative lack of fullness and depth.. The FX850 has this in spades..

how are these compared to say the RE-262 / EQ-5 ?

Sorry never had these. Ericp or DannyBai might be able to chime in soon with some comparisons.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #102 of 3,535

Thanks!

So I did a brief A/B and my prior post was correct but what was surprising to me was just how much more efficient the FX850 is compared to the FXD80.  The FX850 is another animal. A1/2 ton grizzly compared to the fast sleek cheetah.  Powerful. Dominant. Regulates with authority and is much more grander yet with excellent balance and finess... The FXD80s relatively flat mid section is great for speed and detail but sacrifices muscle for that speed and sharpness of tone. I am gonna be honest here. The FX850 is on another level of sound. No real comparison between the two..The FXD80 I would say is not necessarily less refined but it is relegated to certain genres and is more of a niche sound. The FX850 can do it all and then show just how good it can be when amped. It separates itself from any previous JVC offering including the FXZ and both FXD earphones. The bench mark for JVC imo.

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #103 of 3,535
[379uote name="kahaluu" url="/t/708427/the-new-jvc-fx850-woodie-perfection-a-review/90#post_10342921"]Amazon JP, plus Tenso shipping with EMS is still cheaper.... total price $375 to $380.  
[/quote]yup....$379 for mine....shipping out monday from tenso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back