The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Apr 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #616 of 3,535
I did try the mod which worked pretty well, but after a couple hundred hours of play time, the 850 seemed to balance out enough that I felt the mod was no longer needed. It just seems to be one of those phones that need a lot of time to reach their true potential.

So very true...I suppose guys that don't do burn in should try the mod. The mids on my pair are as clear and as wide open as any neutral in ears I own. Bass is punchy but don't have a hump that will intrude on my mids. 

Burn them phones in fellas. No mod needed.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #619 of 3,535

I had the chance to borrow both the fx750 and fx850 for a day from James444 and the fx850 mids are absolutely not "In-your-face". I'm sure James meant that they are more upfront only compared to the fx750, which has a little bit scooped mids (similar to fx700 but still very clear and nice though). 

The modded fx850 is actually very neutral and smooth throughout, especially the highs are very airy and nice and the j444-mod works wonders to tame the bass! 

Seriously, I am actually wondering, that I don't read more impressions on the fx850 with the j444-mod as it totally neutralizes the fq-response of the fx850.

It looks very simple and may seem like a joke at first sight, but is indeed very effective. I am normally into earbuds and dislike the bass bloat found in most dynamic IEMs. The fx850 sounded a bit bloated and not that tight in the lows without the mod, and the bass-bloat had an effect on the mids IMO. After the mod, the bloat was gone (completely) and the mids became super clear. 
Just try it, it takes less than a minute and you'll be surprised :wink:

So very true...I suppose guys that don't do burn in should try the mod. The mids on my pair are as clear and as wide open as any neutral in ears I own. Bass is punchy but don't have a hump that will intrude on my mids. 

How different then is the FX850's sound signature with the mod / after burn-in compared to Sony's EX-1000? I use the EX-1000's signature as my reference signature of preference for dynamic IEMs.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #623 of 3,535

Glad to know, I plan on burning my 750 in overnight to start. Hearing all this makes me even more excited. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #624 of 3,535

Arrived right before my day starts, perfect! Liking the strain relief on these too.

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #626 of 3,535
Some thoughts from a novice ear with the 750. 

A very different experience than I've had with previous IEM's, much more of an airy and spacious sense. I assume that owes itself to the unique driver in it. They are absolutely the nicest looking in ears I've owned. Definitely acts more like a driver in a full size phone than what I would think of an IEM. I like the period where the sound is still coming together, both with the hardware and just getting accustomed to them. The amount of detail at lower volumes is pretty impressive as well. 

I wouldn't describe the bass as having bloat, I was worried it would drown out the mids especially but so far very nice all around. I look forward to it balancing out even more with use and time. I travel daily in NYC and isolation was really nice, without feeling too closed in (As it did at times when I had used Shure Triple flange tips on BA200 and 530, though they're still my favorite tips) 

I had a bunch of different stuff running through, I tend to use Fugazi, Black Sabbath, Unwound and Soundgarden as a gauge for the Rock end. Again this is just general stuff, I don't have quite the ear as others. My 530's will still be my backup, I'll be recabling them soon through BTG. 

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #627 of 3,535
Here are some photos of my newest setup: Tera>Zu audio mini to RCA>iFi Nano iCAN amp>12db attenuator>FBI silver cable>JVC HA-FX850

Definitely a sound that will make a Hindu god dance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back