The JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review)
Mar 16, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #271 of 3,535
Also, whichever I end up getting is going to be an everyday earphone so I was wondering how do you guys think this would hold up to daily use?

The FX850 has replaceable cables so that is a huge plus. They look to be quite durable but I wouldn't want to test it either way. They should be put in their carrying case after use as they are lookers :).

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #272 of 3,535

Do you think they would easily sell for just $20.00 less? Generally people want a bigger discount than that on used gear vs new. The fact is constantly selling and upgrading in the long run is a big waste of money. I could have had an extra pair of CIEMs with all the purchases I've made and took loses on the items selling.

Without drifting off topic to much this really depends on an items popularity.

My theory in practice will only work with gear that holds resale value (or/and while an item is hot topic on head-fi)  Often if somethings enthusiastic ( like JVC FX850 right atm), people will be looking on the boards, if you've only tried them  which isn't for you dropping $20 will work as they're getting it cheaper than new in  "as new" condition. then you need to consider these people are often ready to ship in the USA  straight to you in 2-3 days. (No Tenso). if it's an absolute must you need total outlay back take it to eBay instead. 

My theory will not work with something unpopular, it must be holding resale value or currently circulating  in the hype machine. 

The fact is constantly selling and upgrading in the long run is a big waste of money.

I'd like to think by trying gear you're gaining a certain level of experience along the way, the small loss is what you outlay to try the item.

You cannot have your cake for free, Lee.

Anyway, if anyone knows Lee and I our conversations could seriously drag out for a good few hours so I'll let you all get back to those JVC. 
smile.gif

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #273 of 3,535
Well warranty support is another issue with selling used gear. Generally the items lose their warranty coverage when you sell and that is another thing to consider.

True you have to try things out at a cost & you do gain experience by trying different tiers of gear. But if I could redo things again I'd have skipped the stuff I tried earlier and gone straight to the point which would have saved me some serious dough :p.

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #274 of 3,535
The FX850 has replaceable cables so that is a huge plus. They look to be quite durable but I wouldn't want to test it either way. They should be put in their carrying case after use as they are lookers :).

Ok, good to hear. I suppose that would be another thing to think being that the DUNUs don't have detachable cable which could become an issue in the future.

Mar 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #276 of 3,535
Read earlier some people had difficulties with the cables after removal, likely better to change them only if needed, if the included cables break.

Mar 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #278 of 3,535
Read earlier some people had difficulties with the cables after removal, likely better to change them only if needed, if the included cables break.

I think the issue here is he used an aftermarket cable which failed and that is the reason why he had issues.

Mar 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #279 of 3,535
so are these made in Japan? according to lee730 and I they are made in Japan because of the FX700 being made there, but can someone who actually owns them confirm where are they made please.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #280 of 3,535
  so are these made in Japan? according to lee730 and I they are made in Japan because of the FX700 being made there, but can someone who actually owns them confirm where are they made please.

China

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #282 of 3,535
You're welcome.

Mar 17, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #284 of 3,535
Very interested in how these lovely woodies would deal with nasty metal... Especially the guitars. I have complete faith that drums, bass and overall speed won't be a problem, but I find that the way IEMs (and headphones or even speakers for that matter) present referb and distortion varies wildly (as opposed to, say, classical nylon stringed guitars which seem to be much easier to render naturally) and since my listening diet consist mostly out of extreme metal this is a very important factor.

I feel the 'pull of the woodie' and I'm this close to pulling the trigger, but if they can't present the metal guitar 'VOMP' with the impact it deserves, that would be a serious dealbreaker.

So, does anyone have any experience with metal out of wood(ies) yet? Or would someone be willing to check the ultimate VOMP-test for me..? Any comment would be really helpful. Thank you.

Also, has anyone tried them with the Sony NWZ-ZX1 yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back