The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #557 of 22,434
Tried Abyss again with LAu and Calyx femto/Auralic Vega yesterday

Tbh, I'm not impressed. The LAu just arrived the previous day (and it's clearly better and more powerful than LG), and I'm definitely not a fan of Femto, but somehow the sound is totally not my cup of tea. It's undeniably good, but I dislike the sound sig

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #558 of 22,434
Quote:

Tbh, I'm not impressed. The LAu just arrived the previous day (and it's clearly better and more powerful than LG), and I'm definitely not a fan of Femto, but somehow the sound is totally not my cup of tea. It's undeniably good, but I dislike the sound sig

Finally, another opinion EDIT: from someone who's listened to it... What do you not like about the Sound Sig?

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #559 of 22,434
Quote:

How was the Vega+LAu?

Aug 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #560 of 22,434
Quote:

i felt the same way with LAu and Abyss (on a mytek).

its good, but seems kinda boring sounding and theres a sort of dullness or veil or something weird to the sound, i'm not sure, but theres something weird about it i didn't like.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #562 of 22,434
Quote:
Finally, another opinion EDIT: from someone who's listened to it... What do you not like about the Sound Sig?

Quote:
How was the Vega+LAu?

Quote:
i felt the same way with LAu and Abyss (on a mytek).

its good, but seems kinda boring sounding and theres a sort of dullness or veil or something weird to the sound, i'm not sure, but theres something weird about it i didn't like.

Coming from LCD-2 background with sweet mid and powerful bass, I felt these areas are a lot less displayed by the Femto-LAu-Abyss. The soundstage, imaging and treble are undeniably better on the abyss, but I failed to get the wow factor I was expecting

Vega-LAu-Abyss had better mid and bass, but the speed is significantly decreased

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #563 of 22,434
Quote:
There seems to be an emphasis on comparing the Abyss to the SR009, and I suppose this is because of the price similarity.
I think the more apt comparison is with LCD3s or HE500s/HE6s, as these are headphones of the same type (planar-mags).

My 009s have such a different sonic feel from my dynamics I usually don't compare them to each other, as they are in different sonic worlds.

Hmm...they have to be compared, after all, they're both just reproducing music. If one is better than the other in reproducing music, that one would be the most preferred, regardless of price or technology.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #564 of 22,434
Quote:

Hmm...they have to be compared, after all, they're both just reproducing music. If one is better than the other in reproducing music, that one would be the most preferred, regardless of price or technology.

Then again, some people would prefer euphonic sounding cans over accurate ones...and are willing to pay big bucks for them (i.e., R10, HE90).

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #565 of 22,434
Coming from LCD-2 background with sweet mid and powerful bass, I felt these areas are a lot less displayed by the Femto-LAu-Abyss. The soundstage, imaging and treble are undeniably better on the abyss, but I failed to get the wow factor I was expecting

Vega-LAu-Abyss had better mid and bass, but the speed is significantly decreased

Yeah i didnt get that wow factor either, even though the abyss are better than lcd-2/3

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #566 of 22,434
Had another listen yesterday at A2A. Brought in my own DAC and LCD3, so the chain was Forssell MADA-2 - Cavalli Liquid Gold - Abyss/LD3.

My impression was that the LAu significantly lifted the performance of the LCD3 to the point that I preferred it on my noggin over the Abyss.

The Abyss, as expected, had significantly superior staging and better bass definition and slam. My friend preferred the mids on the Abyss for vocals, but I found them to be a bit thin, even with my relatively un-excitable, chilled DAC. The LCD3 had greater body and a more natural timbre. I also preferred the treble of the LCD3, very relaxed, natural, without a hint of etch.

The Abyss does have a special magical, toe-tapping quality though, and its sound-stage and instrument separation/layering are extraordinary.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #568 of 22,434
Quote:
Part of it is lack of actual hands-on knowledge and experience. As you said, folks see the price tags; and it's natural to compare based on that.

Purrin, not everyone is as dumb or lacks the experience you think they do. I suppose what Chris Martens wrote in Playback doesn't mean anything then...

"The mission of the AB-1266 is a daunting one; namely, to meet or beat the performance of Stax’s incredibly good SR-009 electrostatic headphone in every respect, but in a format that is much simpler to drive than an electrostat can be. Are we there yet? Time will tell, but the AB-1266 certain sounded promising".

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #569 of 22,434
Quote:
Purrin, not everyone is as dumb or lacks the experience you think they do. I suppose what Chris Martens wrote in Playback doesn't mean anything then...

"The mission of the AB-1266 is a daunting one; namely, to meet or beat the performance of Stax’s incredibly good SR-009 electrostatic headphone in every respect, but in a format that is much simpler to drive than an electrostat can be. Are we there yet? Time will tell, but the AB-1266 certain sounded promising".

I don't think he called anyone dumb or lacked experience-- he said they lacked hands-on experience with the abyss.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #570 of 22,434
Imo, it depends on whether jps aims to make the 'best' ortho or the 'best' headphones, period. If it's the latter, then there's no reason why the abyss should be excluded from a comparison against the 009. How that can be fairly arranged is a different matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back