The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #526 of 22,434
Quote:
Oh... and I was hoping it was the toiletpants mod.
evil_smiley.gif

xD

It was a custom job from a friend. Haha.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #527 of 22,434
Abyss is here! On to testing...

I do say, I'm just using a Fostex HP-A3 and its actually okay...

EDIT:

MacBookPro - Audirvana Pro
WireWorld Platinum Starlight 0.3m USB
Fostex HP-A3
Abyss

That's the setup right now.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #528 of 22,434
Quote:
Abyss is here! On to testing...

I do say, I'm just using a Fostex HP-A3 and its actually okay...

EDIT:

MacBookPro - Audirvana Pro
WireWorld Platinum Starlight 0.3m USB
Abyss

That's the setup right now.

Congratulations!

I have to tell you that the difference in the bass is night and day when you power the Abyss from a lower powered amp versus a high powered amp. I tried the Abyss from a Woo Audio WA7 versus the nfb-27 and I can tell you that there is a huge difference in terms of slam/impact and overall sound.

The bass (in terms of slam, quality and quantity) should be higher than your LCD3's. If not, try the Abyss from something more beefy, if you can.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #529 of 22,434
Quote:

Congratulations!

I have to tell you that the difference in the bass is night and day when you power the Abyss from a lower powered amp versus a high powered amp. I tried the Abyss from a Woo Audio WA7 versus the nfb-27 and I can tell you that there is a huge difference in terms of slam/impact and overall sound.

The bass (in terms of slam, quality and quantity) should be higher than your LCD3's. If not, try the Abyss from something more beefy, if you can.

I have the Cavalli LAu sitting beside me right now but its still in a box and I'm not sure I have RCAs...

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #532 of 22,434
Quote:
Augmented my setup:

Fostex HP-A3
to
ALO Audio MK3-B+
to
Abyss

WOW.

All I can say.

It never seize to amaze me what the little Mk3-B can drive. I'm more amazed, however, that you have refrained from ripping open your LAu's box!!!!

p.s. what's the difference between the Mk3b and the Mk3b+? I've always wondered.

Thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #534 of 22,434
It never seize to amaze me what the little Mk3-B can drive. I'm more amazed, however, that you have refrained from ripping open your LAu's box!!!!

p.s. what's the difference between the Mk3b and the Mk3b+? I've always wondered.

Thanks

From what I know the MK3B+ is an improved version, especially with the bass control knob... Note in testing I've not moved the bass knob, as in its off.

Aug 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #535 of 22,434
Quote:

From what I know the MK3B+ is an improved version, especially with the bass control knob... Note in testing I've not moved the bass knob, as in its off.

The non "+" has a bass control knob also... anyhow, as far as I'm aware, the output stage hasn't changed... which means mine should be able to drive it. Would be an amusing perversion driving a 5.5k headphones from a portable setup 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back