The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #346 of 22,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is the output impedance of the F1J much lower than the 80 ohms of the F1? I suspect the silicon carbide fets will drop this but there is more to output impedance than just the active device in use.

..dB 

Im pretty sure the only difference on the F1 vs the F1J is that input devices, the output devices are the same as far as I know

Jul 23, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #350 of 22,431
Quote:
Gikigill----> Looks at adding a second HE6.

ph34r.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #351 of 22,431
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of 'blind' Stax fanboys/fangirls on the Abyss forums?

After another evaluation, I can say that classic music such as Bach's violin concerto (Australian chamber orchestra with Richard Tognetti) does sound easily better with the Abyss ab-1266 compared to the sennheiser hd800.

I absolutely love the HD800s, so this is saying something.

After another days evaluation, I can easily say that these headphones are amazing.

They sound better in at least 80% of the music I sampled in comparison to the T1, HE6, HE500, and HD800.

Now, to further stir the hornets nest, I finish with an interesting quote from Tyll's review:

Compared directly to the other cans, the SR-009 sounded a bit sterile and amazingly not as fast as the AB-1266. The bass on the Abyss was clearly more potent. The LCD-3 had slightly better bass response and neutrality than the AB-1266, but was somewhat muffled and withdrawn comparison. The HD 800 is the best imaging headphone I've heard, pin-point in it's precision. The Abyss had about the same sense of spaciousness, in fact, maybe more so given it's sparkly character, but it lacked the precise imaging of the HD 800. It fairly easily bested the HD 800 in bass response.

All this with a mid-fi amp (EF-6). Can't wait for new amps to be developed for these cans.

One last quote from a headphone expert many people here would know:

In our opinion the Abyss blends the best of the LCD-3 along with the HD800 - soundstage is vast and wide with a liquid midrange that is very much like the SR-009, the STAX unit may compete with pace, rhythm and timing however it does not have the bass response of the Abyss which is the tautest and deepest we have yet heard on a headphone.

Please, no offensive personal messages..
jecklinsmile.gif
..I am being cheeky.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #354 of 22,431
Quote:
Is there anyone here with both the SR-009 and the Abyss? The only straight up comparison I've seen with them is from Tyll so far...

Here is MuppetFace's quote from this site:

MuppetFace

I own both the SR-009 and Abyss, and personally I'd take the Abyss.

As far as how they measure, at least in terms of overall FR response, both Purrin and myself seem to hear them as very similar to the Paradox ---- they even have the same slight peak above the sibilance region. Detail level exceeds every other ortho I've ever heard however. If it came to having a single headphone though, I'd still go with the SR-007 just because of its unsurpassed long-term listenability / lack of fatigue.

I'm curious to see how they'd measure on Tyll's rigs, especially since they don't really couple to the head like other orthos: they're more similar to the K1000 and H2+ in that they sit next to the head more than being pressed up against it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #355 of 22,431
But MF prefers the 007MK1 if she had to pick a single headphone out of the 3. Now you know where this goes, right? The EF-6 is not a mid-fi amp, it is hifiman's top of the line amp designed to drive the HE-6, but since people have gotten so carried away with powering them via integrated amp's, it is not that popular around these boards.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #356 of 22,431
Quote:
Is there anyone here with both the SR-009 and the Abyss? The only straight up comparison I've seen with them is from Tyll so far...

Sorry for spamming guys...another review found in

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57591530-47/abyss-ab-1266-headphones-run-$5495-but-theyre-worth-it/

...The AB-1266's dynamic range capabilities radically advance the state of the art, the$5,200 Stax SR 009 headphone may be the equal of the AB-1266's transparency and sound staging, but the SR 009's dynamic kicks and bass oomph aren't remotely in the AB-1266's league.

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #359 of 22,431
He isn't wrong about the bass, but the Stax absolutely destroy the Abyss in treble and do a better job in the (slightly distant sounding) mids. Keep in mind he basically said the exact same thing in his LCD-3 review too (and crowned the LCD-3 the best headphone in the World as a result)

Jul 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #360 of 22,431
Quote:
But MF prefers the 007MK1 if she had to pick a single headphone out of the 3. Now you know where this goes, right? The EF-6 is not a mid-fi amp, it is hifiman's top of the line amp designed to drive the HE-6, but since people have gotten so carried away with powering them via integrated amp's, it is not that popular around these boards.

There seems to be some inconsistencies in your views DefQon...If you can say than any audio-gd is not high-fi, then that should also apply to hifiman....Sorry, but the audio-gd amps have better specs and power planars just as well if not better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back