The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #22,351 of 22,431
I'm reaching some important conclusions. I'm so satisfied with my Abyss 1266, that I'm going to discontinue my interest in pursuing the Susvara. It's so much money for another TOTL "flavor", so I'll just concentrate on my Abyss 1266 and maximizing what they have to offer. I believe my Woo WA22 drives them pretty well, although it's only 1.5 watts and a tad more if I use 5998 power tubes.

I'm still continuing my research on solid state amps (having heard my Abyss 1266 with a local owner's Wells Audio Milo). I probably won't get the Milo, as I've heard some not so great feedback on the quality control and company owner. I've narrowed it down to: Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack, Burson 3XGT, or Headamp GS-X Mini. I know there are some amps above this price point, but not sure I can afford them.
Do the right thing, complement with the SR1a and Immanis. Then you are done.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #22,352 of 22,431
Thank you! I will read up and try out. From what I understand, you download this as a standalone piece of software and it applies some EQ/filtering at the source (in my case, Macbook)? In other words, I don't need to have some pre-existing software on my computer for this to work?
The zip download file he sends you (he sends it manually so can take a few hours depending on time zone) contains a video explaining how to do anything. It's a little finicky so PM me if you have issues.

You need to download something called BlackHole which allows the filter to work, but Mitch explains in the video. Don't go hunting for anything in advance.

I got it to work easily with Quboz standalone, but most people tend to use it via Roon. Either way is easy. Worth trying for yourself, but as I said earlier, I found it restrains the 1266's eccentricities. If I want something stable and steady and 'correct', I'll listen to Susvara. I listen to 1266 when I want something unruly. The filter turns it into a child forced to wear a suit and tie for Christmas.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #22,353 of 22,431
This, after I explained that I can't even afford Susvara! :dt880smile:
The zip download file he sends you (he sends it manually so can take a few hours depending on time zone) contains a video explaining how to do anything. It's a little finicky so PM me if you have issues.

You need to download something called BlackHole which allows the filter to work, but Mitch explains in the video. Don't go hunting for anything in advance.

I got it to work easily with Quboz standalone, but most people tend to use it via Roon. Either way is easy. Worth trying for yourself, but as I said earlier, I found it restrains the 1266's eccentricities. If I want something stable and steady and 'correct', I'll listen to Susvara. I listen to 1266 when I want something unruly. The filter turns it into a child forced to wear a suit and tie for Christmas.
Thank you, much appreciated! I believe your assessment and may likely come to the same conclusion, but curious to test it nonetheless.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #22,354 of 22,431
Curious to test it nonetheless.
Damn right. If I had believed only what people online told me rather than try for myself I'd be sitting here with a Topping A90 and HD650s, never tried expensive cables, and having missed out on some of the best audio in the world.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #22,355 of 22,431
Damn right. If I had believed only what people online told me rather than try for myself I'd be sitting here with a Topping A90 and HD650s, never tried expensive cables, and having missed out on some of the best audio in the world.
+1 Never let people think for you. Do your own research and gather your own thoughts because people are biased or just hyping up the sale for that affiliate link. That's what I did and wound up on the 1266. Heard legends of it, now the legend is here with me daily.

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #22,356 of 22,431
Finally got a chance to try the Mitch filters today. Impressive technical achievement, but for me they take away a lot of the craziness of the 1266. And I love the 1266 because it's crazy. I don't want something trying to calm it down, which is what it sounds like to me.

same thoughts on the mitch filters.
try this eq. input directly into Roon, and remember to apply an appropriate -3dB headroom (drag down the baseline on the graph) so that no curves seen above 0. it remains my favourite eq for the abyss and it is on whenever I'm listening.

Screenshot_20240411_060849_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #22,357 of 22,431
This, after I explained that I can't even afford Susvara! :dt880smile:

Thank you, much appreciated! I believe your assessment and may likely come to the same conclusion, but curious to test it nonetheless.
Do try the filters if you can. I for one can’t listen to 1266 TC without the neutral-bass filter (there’s three types of filter available in Mitch’s package).

Apr 10, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #22,358 of 22,431
the susvara is fantastic but the Immanis and 1266 is probably unbeatable...the sr1a or ca-1a are both great as well

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #22,359 of 22,431
Borrowed a wavedream signature balanced from a buddy for a while and been testing it with my WA33 JPS elite mainly with 1266tc. This is a phenomenal combo. Synergy is insanely good, better than vivaldi apex imo. This is my favorite dac with 1266TC so far. It's a very exciting forward sounding dac but the detail is just off the charts, it just throws detail and imaging at you in spades. Slam and transient response is just insane. It just takes 1266TC to another level I haven't heard before and shows you how much this headphone can scale. Anyone else tried one?

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #22,360 of 22,431
Borrowed a wavedream signature balanced from a buddy for a while and been testing it with my WA33 JPS elite mainly with 1266tc. This is a phenomenal combo. Synergy is insanely good, better than vivaldi apex imo. This is my favorite dac with 1266TC so far. It's a very exciting forward sounding dac but the detail is just off the charts, it just throws detail and imaging at you in spades. Slam and transient response is just insane. It just takes 1266TC to another level I haven't heard before and shows you how much this headphone can scale. Anyone else tried one?

Where the hell can you even buy one in the UK??

Rockna website supplier list for UK lists 'AudioFreaks' whose website is full of dead links and a shop with no Rockna products.

Apr 12, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #22,361 of 22,431

Rockna website supplier list for UK lists 'AudioFreaks' whose website is full of dead links and a shop with no Rockna products.
Don't think there is a uk dealer currently

Apr 12, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #22,362 of 22,431

If you already work with a dealer you can see if they can get it for you. Though you would probably have to purchase it. Just a thought.

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #22,363 of 22,431
Apr 13, 2024 at 4:48 AM Post #22,365 of 22,431

How does this compare with the Dave? Are you now getting the best of both worlds - transients with a fully body? Are you still using the SOTM as a streamer to the Rockna?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back