The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #21,722 of 22,500
Hi there, i just want to ask you guys something, i ve just bought recently the new pads for my TC as the old ones lost their glue . The new ones are smaller and a bit thinner, this as far as i m concerned has an impact on the sound, as the headphone has become to me, extremely linear with sibilances on the top and a flatter sound , highs, more a V shape sound, and lost the bit of organicity that the old pads could provide . Is there something we can do about it , ( looks that the pads play a very important role ) Took contact with JPS labs to see if they could do something for me . Thanks to all !!!
I have just had a similar experience and noticed the pads were thinner when I first got them. They seem to be back to normal size now after a bit of use .
i didnt notice a difference in sound though

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #21,723 of 22,500
Hi there, i just want to ask you guys something, i ve just bought recently the new pads for my TC as the old ones lost their glue . The new ones are smaller and a bit thinner, this as far as i m concerned has an impact on the sound, as the headphone has become to me, extremely linear with sibilances on the top and a flatter sound , highs, more a V shape sound, and lost the bit of organicity that the old pads could provide . Is there something we can do about it , ( looks that the pads play a very important role ) Took contact with JPS labs to see if they could do something for me . Thanks to all !!!
Pads definitely impact the sound a lot. I still have the original pads but I saw on one of the pads when I was pulling it off the headphones to adjust I could tell the glue was weak on a small portion and I can see how it could be an issue. I now have my pads in my preferred position and don't adjust them.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #21,724 of 22,500
Pads definitely impact the sound a lot. I still have the original pads but I saw on one of the pads when I was pulling it off the headphones to adjust I could tell the glue was weak on a small portion and I can see how it could be an issue. I now have my pads in my preferred position and don't adjust them.
Keep them preciously ...if you want a piece of advice .. the old ones are bigger definitely compared to them wider , like a sofa as far as the confort is concerned . But the sound is to my ears also much fuller with the old pads

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #21,725 of 22,500
If you want to make your pads last as long as possible, pry your fingernail between the front baffle and the plastic. You won't scratch anything; fingernail vs metal. Ensures tension is never on the glue contact points.

Don't pull the pad from the leather. You can get away with that early on but it literally only hurts the pad. It'll add up over time.

On their website there's a video linked on the earpad page and those old pads look THICK. I'd love to try them ironically.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #21,726 of 22,500
agree with @PhazeCrive. when removing the pads, just grab the plastic rather than pull on the leather.

was looking thru Google photos, and turns out I've owned the 1266 TC for 4 years now. I think I haven't adjusted the pad position in the last 2 years or so.. just checked and the glue is all intact and pads themselves still look like new. the 1266 TC is the headphone I've owned the longest and definitely no intention of selling them. such an amazing sound every time I put them on!

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #21,727 of 22,500
So I got my TCs back from repair today (thanks @Abyss Headphones for the really quick turnaround).

I also recently got a CFA3 last week and finally listened to the TCs outta the fabled amp with a 300B preamp. It sounds very good, especially, especially for the price (double especially), but it’s not better than my WA33 EE JPS. The CFA3 maybe has better bass authority and impact, but it’s only marginally better than the WA33 in that regard.. The WA33 has better 3D soundstage and pretty much everything else. The CFA3 is not going to replace my WA33.

That said, the CFA3 with the TCs is amazing. For like $3500, I’m getting like 70-80% WA33 sound that is cleaner (one may or may not like that), with marginally better bass authority (with the Susvaras the bass authority difference is more substantial, but not night and day by any means). For this price, I don’t think anything is beating the CFA3. I see why everybody likes it. It’s not better than my WA33 EE JPS, but going by the price, it probably shouldn’t be. But for 20% of the price of a WA33 EE JPS, the CFA3 is damn impressive.

And if you are wondering, I was using Tak 300B tubes. I’m on the waitlist for the Elrog 300Bs. They should come in November. We’ll see if they make a substantial difference in the sound (there’s a lot of hype with these tubes).

If you’re on a budget, I think the CFA3 should be on your shortlist.

Oct 2, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #21,728 of 22,500
So I got my TCs back from repair today (thanks @Abyss Headphones for the really quick turnaround).

I also recently got a CFA3 last week and finally listened to the TCs outta the fabled amp with a 300B preamp. It sounds very good, especially, especially for the price (double especially), but it’s not better than my WA33 EE JPS. The CFA3 maybe has better bass authority and impact, but it’s only marginally better than the WA33 in that regard.. The WA33 has better 3D soundstage and pretty much everything else. The CFA3 is not going to replace my WA33.

That said, the CFA3 with the TCs is amazing. For like $3500, I’m getting like 70-80% WA33 sound that is cleaner (one may or may not like that), with marginally better bass authority (with the Susvaras the bass authority difference is more substantial, but not night and day by any means). For this price, I don’t think anything is beating the CFA3. I see why everybody likes it. It’s not better than my WA33 EE JPS, but going by the price, it probably shouldn’t be. But for 20% of the price of a WA33 EE JPS, the CFA3 is damn impressive.

And if you are wondering, I was using Tak 300B tubes. I’m on the waitlist for the Elrog 300Bs. They should come in November. We’ll see if they make a substantial difference in the sound (there’s a lot of hype with these tubes).

If you’re on a budget, I think the CFA3 should be on your shortlist.
Add a 45 based DAC with the Perryman 45's and pre with TM 300B and you are off.

Glad more are discovering how great CFA3 is and how key pre integration can be.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #21,729 of 22,500
i haven't seen the formula stack mentioned for a while. the few times I heard it, always thought it was quite a good pairing with the TC. have seen a few stacks on the classifieds selling for good prices and have been tempted several times..

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #21,730 of 22,500
I have the CFA3 and love it...I also have the formula s stack which I rarely use because my susvara needs more power to shine...but that said the formula s/powerman is a great pairing with the TC

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #21,731 of 22,500
I have listen HeadTrip II with 1266 TC and Utopia vs WA33 and fair to say HeadTrip was better almost in everything soundwise and especially in ergonomic segments.
20230930_152658.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #21,732 of 22,500
surprised to hear that because I have found wells amps very over priced....my CPA3 which costs far less is head and shoulders better..I have owned wells amps and spnt a fair bit of time listening to them but hey...thats why there are so many choices

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #21,734 of 22,500
The CFA3 has made me realize how just good the WA33 EE JPS is. Yeah, it costs a a lot, but the sound quality is top notch. I'm super impressed by the CFA3, especially for the cost. The WA33 just has that amazing 3D soundstage. The imagining and soundstage is just damn impressive. But for the cost, the CFA3 can't be beat. I've never heard the Bliss or the like, but I can't imagine them being better than the CFA3. Gilmore is a genius.

The TCs are still the best headphones in the world. I keep reminding myself of my short time with the HE-1. It was very good, but I don't think it beats the TCs. Abyss really went out and made the best headphones on the planet. $6K is a lot, but it's a lot less than $60K.

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #21,735 of 22,500
The CFA3 has made me realize how just good the WA33 EE JPS is. Yeah, it costs a a lot, but the sound quality is top notch. I'm super impressed by the CFA3, especially for the cost. The WA33 just has that amazing 3D soundstage. The imagining and soundstage is just damn impressive. But for the cost, the CFA3 can't be beat. I've never heard the Bliss or the like, but I can't imagine them being better than the CFA3. Gilmore is a genius.

The TCs are still the best headphones in the world. I keep reminding myself of my short time with the HE-1. It was very good, but I don't think it beats the TCs. Abyss really went out and made the best headphones on the planet. $6K is a lot, but it's a lot less than $60K.
I had never listened to a WA33 EE JPS yet, but the CFA3 on my modest system already has an amazing 3D soundstage. I hope one day I can have a chance to listen to WA33 EE JPS myself as it seems to be the best in presenting the soundstage 👍🏼

Users who are viewing this thread

Back