The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #21,706 of 22,596
If you're used to the LCD-4's character and want more of that, it'd be really hard not to recommend the superconductor cable w/ the 1266. I primarily use the Burson Soloist GT, which leans bright-neutral. With the stock cable highs sounded tinny/metallic and mids were a bit recessed. Once I added the superconductor it was almost a different headphone. Thicker, more authoritative presentation while maintaining laser focused precision. One of the, if not the most, addictive headphones to listen to.
Believe it could be your amp or the dac.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #21,708 of 22,596
Position helps more than anything, and you can work in the SC from there.

Pretty much every headphone besides this one is designed to clamp, meaning the acoustic is locked in so that anyone who puts those headphones on are going to have the same experience the manufacturer had when tuning it. Now, with the 1266, it's like setting up speakers. Everyone will have a different experience unless you all sit in the sweet spot of the room. With the TC you can have it too low and the treble and timbre will dry out. Too wide and you get bass roll-off. In fact, just shifting from back to front changes where your ears pick up the sound.

It's best to wear it a little high so that it just floats and hardly touches your head at all because more or less clamp will also affect the acoustic performance. I like it with an additional headband and pads at 12. For my head that's correct because it begins sounding like other reference cans and not drowned or hollowed out.

I'm not trying to defend the 1266, even if it is my only and favorite, but I see way too many reviewers, video or written, slap it on and more or less go "yeah it's a little off" when I know exactly why they may be saying that. It's not a headphone you can just slap on.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #21,709 of 22,596
Position helps more than anything, and you can work in the SC from there.

Pretty much every headphone besides this one is designed to clamp, meaning the acoustic is locked in so that anyone who puts those headphones on are going to have the same experience the manufacturer had when tuning it. Now, with the 1266, it's like setting up speakers. Everyone will have a different experience unless you all sit in the sweet spot of the room. With the TC you can have it too low and the treble and timbre will dry out. Too wide and you get bass roll-off. In fact, just shifting from back to front changes where your ears pick up the sound.

It's best to wear it a little high so that it just floats and hardly touches your head at all because more or less clamp will also affect the acoustic performance. I like it with an additional headband and pads at 12. For my head that's correct because it begins sounding like other reference cans and not drowned or hollowed out.

I'm not trying to defend the 1266, even if it is my only and favorite, but I see way too many reviewers, video or written, slap it on and more or less go "yeah it's a little off" when I know exactly why they may be saying that. It's not a headphone you can just slap on.
All this is truly a matter of subjective opinion. Having said that in my view trashing any product that is not to a particular taste is not helpful to listeners who just would like some objective feed back discussion. So for my part having had spent and had and heard a real wide variety of audio for decades The AB 1266 and the Susvara are some of the best if not the best HP on the current market today. Each for different reasons and in different ways. I had and kept both exactly because they were different in their own way. The chain that powers them is equally important. So IMHO that all it is, is an opinion, I would argue a well informed one but for what’s its worth. You can’t really find fault with what they are both capable of sounding like. But only a persons individual ears can say wether their style is something they like. Try them if you have not and answer the questions for yourself Is the ultimate final say. Abyss has an entire video explaiining how to adjust and wear the 1266. And it works. It’s part of the design, like Raal…..its something different, you can move the Raal slightly and lose all your bass……that does not make it a bad headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #21,710 of 22,596
All this is truly a matter of subjective opinion. . So IMHO that all it is, is an opinion,
I don't understand which part of what I typed was a subjective opinion. Fitment/position is objective to tailoring the sound, and that's all I talked about. There is definitely a wrong way to wear the headphone.

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #21,711 of 22,596
I don't understand which part of what I typed was a subjective opinion. Fitment/position is objective to tailoring the sound, and that's all I talked about. There is definitely a wrong way to wear the headphone.
No offense , please……. I was not making any criticism. My point was when looking at all the comments everyone is entitled to their own views of what they hear and like. No more no less

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #21,712 of 22,596
No offense , please……. I was not making any criticism. My point was when looking at all the comments everyone is entitled to their own views of what they hear and like. No more no less
Oh you're good. Trust me, I don't do the whole arguing/hostility thing online. 10 years ago I might have .:wink:
And yeah, I saw some posts earlier, mainly about amp matching.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #21,714 of 22,596
After a couple of weeks hiatus due to a remise en forme at the Abyss headquarters (thanks @Abyss Headphones for the outstanding service!), I got my 1266 TC back and I thought the best way to celebrate was going through one of those eclectic listening sessions that make these heapdhones standout.

This (Le vent nous portera) was a thrilling beginning, and the mix between the intimate, nuanced, detailed presentation of the beautiful Sophie voice and the satisfying bass section was enough to start my juices flow, which went on for the following 2 hours
1694940296376.png

1694940347494.png

Then this track (Soyeusement) from a super-interesting baroque / jazz contamination project: another exhilarating contrast between sub-bass oomph, hyper-detailed strings, a huge reverberant environment where the various instrments that keep adding to the track (behold the serpent! www.serpentwebsite.com) are depicted with such spatial coherence that you feel projected in the Noirlac magical abbey atmosphere.

1694940795853.png

Lucio Dalla Caruso rendition from the disc below is a bit overused, being a typical show track used in many hifi show settings. But you cannot stay unmoved by the poignant power of this melody and the heartfelt interpretation from Sabina Sciubba.

1694940899909.png

Talking about show tracks, the two examples below (Songe d'un nuit du Sabbat, Hungarian Rhapsody n.2) are a horrifying benchmark for most 2 channel systems, needing limitless dynamics and control, over a massive amount of instrumental climaxes. The AB-1266 - within of course the physical limitations of a headphones setup - copes with this musical earthquakes played at concert volume remarkably well. Especially the bass parts (the monstrous percussion sections of the Symphonie Fantastique finale, the subterrean double bass on the Stokowski) are ridiculously enjoyable.

1694941735552.png

1694941962719.png

Last, the bread and butter of the AB-1266, I poured myself some electronica. This landmark Autechre album served me well, indeed :xf_cool:

1694942419899.png

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #21,716 of 22,596
If I ever got back into the hobby assuming my stack doesn't get sold, what would be a good dac? I really like xiaudio stack but I've never really seen anything good said about the Sagra. The three piece system looks cool (soon to be killed by the 3952) but part of the reason I parted with my gustard r26 is because it darkened the top end. I very much dislike that and since no one talks about it, it's hard to find characteristics of the Sagra. Anyone know if it's bright or even worth it used perhaps?

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #21,718 of 22,596
All this is truly a matter of subjective opinion. Having said that in my view trashing any product that is not to a particular taste is not helpful to listeners who just would like some objective feed back discussion. So for my part having had spent and had and heard a real wide variety of audio for decades The AB 1266 and the Susvara are some of the best if not the best HP on the current market today. Each for different reasons and in different ways. I had and kept both exactly because they were different in their own way. The chain that powers them is equally important. So IMHO that all it is, is an opinion, I would argue a well informed one but for what’s its worth. You can’t really find fault with what they are both capable of sounding like. But only a persons individual ears can say wether their style is something they like. Try them if you have not and answer the questions for yourself Is the ultimate final say. Abyss has an entire video explaiining how to adjust and wear the 1266. And it works. It’s part of the design, like Raal…..its something different, you can move the Raal slightly and lose all your bass……that does not make it a bad headphone.
My experience as well, they are terrific

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #21,719 of 22,596
I've ordered my custom case + foam for 1266 (design to be revealed later). Manufacturing estimate is 12-15 business days. Once that comes in (and I get my 1266 back from Abyss) I can do the all-important test fit and make sure the cutouts work. If anything is off, I can respin the design once.

While I'm waiting, here are a few more reference designs (I really did go overboard, lol):

Cracked Facade

Top Layer - 3D Render (Distressed Mesh v2).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Cracked Earth).JPG

--

Blue Glass

Top Layer - 3D Render (Stained Glass).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Glass Chunks v2).JPG

--

Chaos Cubes

Top Layer - 3D Render (jumbled cubes v2).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Chaos Cube).JPG

--

Fuel Spill

Top Layer - 3D Render (crimson rust v2).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (gasoline on asphalt v2).JPG

--

Spaced Out

Top Layer - 3D Render (Lightspeed).JPG
Bottom Layer - 3D Render (Milky Way).JPG

--

Besides making sure the cutout dimensions are accurate, I'm eager so see how well the actual foam printing compares to the design previews. I've previously designed a case for my HM1, and that turned out really well, but this will be the first time playing with more detailed backgrounds, printing in pockets, etc. I really hope the final product will live up to my ambitions. :grin:

HM1 Case.jpg HM1 Case Trays.jpg
I got my custom case from MyCaseBuilder, and the printing is phenomenal! The fit ended up perfect, too--the outer radius of the headband fits snugly in the cutout, which is just how I wanted it--nothing moves around in transit.

As much as I liked all of the designs I came up with before, I ended up pushing the envelope even further with the one I had manufactured. 😎

1000014737.jpg
1000014738.jpg

I took this case and one I made for my Nautilus to a local record shop for a photo shoot.
1000014881.jpg

I couldn't be more pleased with how these turned out! Both cases are super fun and functional. Also timely--I'll be taking 1266 to CANJAM SoCal to try on Lotoo Mjolnir and whatever else is around.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #21,720 of 22,596
Hi there, i just want to ask you guys something, i ve just bought recently the new pads for my TC as the old ones lost their glue . The new ones are smaller and a bit thinner, this as far as i m concerned has an impact on the sound, as the headphone has become to me, extremely linear with sibilances on the top and a flatter sound , highs, more a V shape sound, and lost the bit of organicity that the old pads could provide . Is there something we can do about it , ( looks that the pads play a very important role ) Took contact with JPS labs to see if they could do something for me . Thanks to all !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back