The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #21,256 of 22,434
DSCF9696.jpg
Cayin HA300 + Abyss?
Has anyone in this thread heard the Cayin HA300 powering the Abyss TC? I am currently using the Moon 600i Integrated speaker amp to power my set with Chord DAVE as DAC, and am very curious how the Cayin sounds. Does it still have the drive, bass control and detail (not too warm and dark) Is it quiet (hiss and hum). Is it reliable over a long ownership? Service by Cayin dealers. Sorry, lot of questions.

It seems very well priced for the amp, made in China does make me bit nervous. Any feedback would be great guys.
I have not heard the Cayin but I can attest to the synergy valves can have with the 1266. I have an Auris Nirvana and I highly praise the synergy. The 1266 is just “sweeter”, fuller. I still prefer my Sparkos Aries solid state for crystal sharp resolution in some music like electronic, eg tubular bells, but for vocals, jazz, guitar I go to the Nirvana. Totally black background, full sparkle and slam. Oh and power is more than enough, volume is very much at low levels and if anything this is a small negative as I only use an infinitesimal range in the volume control, more of a factor on more sensitive headphones like the Utopia.

But… that said if you test drive any valve amp be aware what can change with better valves. The biggest improvements can be had with good driver tubes in my experience, I gained resolution and sparkle improvements with 1970s ex military tubes. Upgrading power tubes does make that last 5 percent improvement too, I settled on Sophia Electric EL34. I also STRONGLY recommend a valve amp that has a solid state power supply, again like the Nirvana. Yes dead quite, no hum, but also if the rectifier tube blows it doesn’t take out the power transformer. This has happened to me on an Ampsandsound Bigger Ben, I can only praise Justin for his excellent warranty coverage in this, but long term it’s still a risk.

Just one last thing on valves, choosing an amp that is affordable to upgrade tubes on is a plus. Trying a few sets of 300B tubes can cost more than the amp. EL34 amps sound wonderful and are relatively inexpensive to experiment with tube rolling. You would really want to try to get the right upgraded 300B tubes on the Cayin before buying in my opinion, at least if saving a few thousand dollars matters (to me it does).

Hope my two cents helps…

On DACs, I am curious of what a R2R DAC might do to your sound as well. The DAVE I am sure will be even more resolving than my TT2, I felt the Nirvana worked to make the TT2 even better… but I settled on a Denefrips terminator after some time with the 1266. Again, with the Nirvana, it just gives some musical synergy I like. Resolving enough and musical to the point of adding to enjoyment. I’d be interested in your take using a valve amp with the DAVE.

Tony

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #21,257 of 22,434
Didn’t think 1266 could sound better but it keeps getting better…no sleep tonight

999DCB70-EBAA-4FA7-9130-5B33C341D58F.jpeg
Very sick custom stand, respect with a K.

(birdman reference)

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #21,258 of 22,434
We are hilarious and I found this quick video refreshing.
Between, say, talk of ZMF being great service although pretty mediocre in sound, this is illuminating.

So PSA > Abyss: best headphone, best service, affordable although you never stop bitching. Ha.
https://abyss-headphones.com/pages/abyss-headphone-repair

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #21,259 of 22,434
Buy them at a good price and if you don’t like them resell them at the same price. I’m sure a used pair will pop up sometime in your country.
haha yeah I have used this to try out a ton of headphones. This aspect of the hobby really makes it more fun since it can teach you all about negotiating while getting to experience cool new things!

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #21,260 of 22,434
pretty mediocre in sound
Ouch!

I’d like to say not mediocre but more or less a different path than Abyss. I own a 1266 to fulfill certain things that Zmf’s don’t do for me but also own Zmf’s for things the 1266 don’t do for me as well.

Now only if I could get a headphone that mixes the things I love about the Aeolus and 1266 I’d be in heaven!

To put a nice positive bow on my opinion I’d say both companies seem to be very fair on paper when it comes to dealing with repairs. I’m very happy that it will only cost $500 to fix any foreseeable problems with my secondhand 1266’s drivers and free for my non-used zmf bought cans. I don’t know off the top of my head how much it would cost for my used Zmf’s but I don’t assume it’s much.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #21,261 of 22,434
1266 TC can do everything better than ZMF does (I don't listen yet they new planar headphones tho...)

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #21,262 of 22,434
1266 TC can do everything better than ZMF does (I don't listen yet they new planar headphones tho...)
Ok I’ll bite a little bit but that’s it.
I’m glad you are happy with finding your favorite headphones that you find are best. Cheers!

On the argument of what’s best, my wife would say her AirPods trump everything including zmf and abyss.(and she has entirely valid reasons for having this opinion.) I understand why she feels that way and even further think it’s an uninteresting conversation to have with others. I wasn’t trying to push this conversation into that realm, apologies!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #21,263 of 22,434
@Litlgi74 asked on Raal thread if the sr1/ca1 and vm1a combo made the TC redundant.

I haven't posted in this thread for quite a while. admittedly, with all my headphones, the TC is probably one of the least used. not because they're bad or worse than my other headphones. but because they're so friggin good. let me explain..

It's hard to put into words the sheer amazement I get when listening to my TC especially when the rest of the chain is dialed in perfectly around it (well, at least yo my ears). Good amplification, good source, Superconductor cable, mitch filters (mostly neutral) and good music.. it is almost an unfair fight against my other headphones. my kids sometimes use gaming terms and best one I can use to describe the TC is sheer OP (to the old folks here.. OverPowered).

maybe I have a bit of a masochistic side, but the TC gets used the least because it gets somewhat "old" hearing such goodness all the time. I think I get a lot of enjoyment out of having to tweak the chain, spend some money, try new stuff, to make my other "lesser" headphones sound good. when I hear for eg sibilance with this or that headphone, or feel like I need more mids/bass, I get a kick out of swapping in new cables, researching new gear, surfing forums and reading reviews etc. I hardly have to do anything else anymore to have a good time with the TCs.

As much as I love the Raal combos, a well dialed in TC is super hard to beat. it reigns supreme in my lineup for sheer side to side grinning pleasure. I use it the least and keep it as my "trump card" when I want to have a benchmark of what my system is capable of, and to highlight what many other hps can't do.

Mar 27, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #21,265 of 22,434
Liberty - Anette Askvik

Try on TCs...Whoa...

Mar 28, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #21,266 of 22,434
@Litlgi74 asked on Raal thread if the sr1/ca1 and vm1a combo made the TC redundant.

I haven't posted in this thread for quite a while. admittedly, with all my headphones, the TC is probably one of the least used. not because they're bad or worse than my other headphones. but because they're so friggin good. let me explain..

It's hard to put into words the sheer amazement I get when listening to my TC especially when the rest of the chain is dialed in perfectly around it (well, at least yo my ears). Good amplification, good source, Superconductor cable, mitch filters (mostly neutral) and good music.. it is almost an unfair fight against my other headphones. my kids sometimes use gaming terms and best one I can use to describe the TC is sheer OP (to the old folks here.. OverPowered).

maybe I have a bit of a masochistic side, but the TC gets used the least because it gets somewhat "old" hearing such goodness all the time. I think I get a lot of enjoyment out of having to tweak the chain, spend some money, try new stuff, to make my other "lesser" headphones sound good. when I hear for eg sibilance with this or that headphone, or feel like I need more mids/bass, I get a kick out of swapping in new cables, researching new gear, surfing forums and reading reviews etc. I hardly have to do anything else anymore to have a good time with the TCs.

As much as I love the Raal combos, a well dialed in TC is super hard to beat. it reigns supreme in my lineup for sheer side to side grinning pleasure. I use it the least and keep it as my "trump card" when I want to have a benchmark of what my system is capable of, and to highlight what many other hps can't do.
Interesting how you view your system. I guess you save the cream for the last, and eat the rest the rest of the time? Not needing EQ on the Abyss does take away issues that EQ software brings. It is a big ask for any HP designer, to get it to perform across the full frequency spectrum, that in itself is a miracle. 2 channel has multiway drivers so we can see how a single driver in a HP has to jump through so many hoops to cover the full range. It is quite incredible when you think about it.

I think part of this hobby is tweaking and discovering, and unlike 2 channel, it is affordable to have multiple cans, so technically multiple systems that sound very different. Most guys here to to have 2 cans as a minimum.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #21,267 of 22,434
1 can, Abyss TC, for me.

I am in the minority camp, both race, and headphone number count, lol.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #21,269 of 22,434
What's the best way to bend the headband? The fit is tight for me on top and the pads hit the bottom of my ears. Need a little more give to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back