The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #20,896 of 22,434
How is the Ragnarok 1 for the 1266? Any comparisons to other amps?
It's quite good by a balance check-list. Not as extended, defined and detailed as the CFA3 but considerably up-to GS-X, Bakoon/Enleum/Formula S/ Niimbus, etc.
I am actually using the Studio B as a preamp to feed the CFA3 SS amp and 1266 TC is plugged into the CFA3. Studio B will get the TC loud enough but the synergy is not great, especially the bass doesn't feel quite filled out. Overall, it feels a bit hollow/anemic directly out of Studio B.

CFA3 by itself does a great job of driving the TC but I usually run it with the 300B pre. I have done some (not so detailed) A/B but to my ears adding the tube pre seems to add more body to what might be considered as a slightly dry sound.
Do you by chance have another efficient planar to bridge comparative performance?
I've really been thinking about driving a Studio B with a tube pre but it isn't so clear just how far off it drives things standard to gleam how well a pre would work.

Dec 7, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #20,898 of 22,434
It's quite good by a balance check-list. Not as extended, defined and detailed as the CFA3 but considerably up-to GS-X, Bakoon/Enleum/Formula S/ Niimbus, etc.

I use Ragnarok 2 for my 1266, have you by chance heard that and can compare it to the Rag1?

I felt the Sparkos Aries brought a wider stage and a more details overall, although it’s not as powerful as the Rag2. It’s not really a fair comparison though, with the Rag2 I use Modi 3 and with the Sparkos (with upgraded opamps) I used a balanced Buffalo dac.

I was thinking about getting the GS-X mini, but if that is much the same as Rag2 I might look elsewhere.

Dec 7, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #20,899 of 22,434
I use Ragnarok 2 for my 1266, have you by chance heard that and can compare it to the Rag1?

I felt the Sparkos Aries brought a wider stage and a more details overall, although it’s not as powerful as the Rag2. It’s not really a fair comparison though, with the Rag2 I use Modi 3 and with the Sparkos (with upgraded opamps) I used a balanced Buffalo dac.

I was thinking about getting the GS-X mini, but if that is much the same as Rag2 I might look elsewhere.
I feel Ragnarok 2 brought about a coldness through the midrange and treble which I never gelled with. Your comparison likely holds a truth somewhere in the middle as the Buffalo is quite a bit better than Modi.

I think GS-X Mini would strike a strong middleground as not as powerfully dynamic there will be equal staging with a more lifted midrange.
I might try Freya with MELZ 1578/+RCA grey to elevate and curb some of Ragnarok 2 intricacies as it worked well with Ragnarok 1.

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #20,901 of 22,434
I am actually using the Studio B as a preamp to feed the CFA3 SS amp and 1266 TC is plugged into the CFA3. Studio B will get the TC loud enough but the synergy is not great, especially the bass doesn't feel quite filled out. Overall, it feels a bit hollow/anemic directly out of Studio B.

CFA3 by itself does a great job of driving the TC but I usually run it with the 300B pre. I have done some (not so detailed) A/B but to my ears adding the tube pre seems to add more body to what might be considered as a slightly dry sound.
Completely agree with you as I have the same amp setup. Studio B as my Pre (Elrog 300B) to the CFA3 and just like you said it gives it more body and warmth. I tried this with my Stratus dual 3 PIN XLR out (headphone jack) to CFA XLR in but didn't have great synergy. It made a small difference but nothing like the difference the Studio B made.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #20,902 of 22,434

Thanks for sharing. I did not know the Studio B can be used as a pre amp which is a pleasant surprise. Certainly opens up a wealth of options when it comes to driving planar. How are you connecting the Studio B to your CFA 3?

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #20,903 of 22,434
How are you connecting the Studio B to your CFA 3?
Studio B has SE line outs in the back that can be used as preamp outs. Usually line outs are not affected by volume control but Studio B’s are. Craig mentioned that they were originally for subwoofer out when using as a speaker amp but it’s fine to use as pre out as well.

Dec 8, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #20,904 of 22,434
For what it's worth, I've tried the Studio B SE to CFA SE and didn't like it as much as Studio B SE to CFA XLR input. Had to get a cable that was SE on one side and XLR on the other end but well worth it for me with great impact.

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #20,905 of 22,434
Has anyone tried the AB1266 Phi TC with the Feliks Envy? I loved the Envy with the Susvara.

I spent some time with the TC and a DNA Stellaris. There wasn’t enough current to fill out the guts of the TC, though some of the DNA magic still came through. Fingers crossed that some day Donald makes a stronger amp that will gel with low efficiency isodynamics!
Yes, I tried this a couple of month ago. I have to say, this was no good pairing. Voices were very shouty and some high frequencies were harsh and sibilant. Maybe the tubes weren’t fully burned in, but it was no good experience at all. Okay and I have to confess, that I listened before this to the dcs stack. Anyway I heard the Envy can be that way with other headphones too.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #20,906 of 22,434
Sent in the TC for repair due to it getting magnetic dust on the driver surface :skull:. Bass was just not as present as I remembered it. Something I also rarely ever see talked about is the temperature, too. It's literally a night a day difference to the sound if the TC is being used in a cold environment or not. Unheated, I have to leave it on my head for close to an hour before the heat of my head warms up the driver. Sometimes I hold it a safe distance away from my heater to re-tension those drivers and wow the bass explodes on you if it's warm enough. That's one of the reasons I bought a close-range heater. Warm TC gives it that thunder and allows for wider positioning with no roll-off. Tons of presence beneath 30hz without a seal if the drivers are warm.

And since it's gone, all I have are entry level 200 dollar and below cans. Let me say after about a year of listening only to the TC, it has effectively ruined these other headphones for me. Some of them are bassy, but come at the cost of being boomy and muffled. Some of them are too rolled off and have no treble, and none of them have any space. Not a single one of them sounds clear in any sense, but somehow the TC is sounding big and wide, more midranged than a Senny, insanely detailed, and clear while packing a body blow of bass. Usually, it is unheard of to have a ton of bass and still be clear and detailed, but the TC has something to say about that.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #20,907 of 22,434
Message to Phi and TC owners.

An active member of the french forum "tellementnomade.org" has shared an EQ setting for the Abyss Phi based on several measures he made. I tried his EQ despite having a TC and Oh my, the output is spectacular. Totally.
- Trebles are now sweet as honey but still vivid,
- Mediums have presence like never before,
- Trebles and mediums are balanced perfectly,
- Scene is totally insane! Depth is not a strength of my XI Audio combo. The EQ generates an impressive holographic scene, not kidding.

All in all, the Abyss hasn't lost a dime of its original personality but some < how to name them if Joe is reading this post > are corrected, let's say for my taste.

I have auditioned this EQ with Audirvana coupled with a professional Parametric EQ plug-in called FabFilter Q Pro 3. If you play music with Audirvana, just forget Apple's Parametric EQ. It's just a crap. I have experienced it. If playing with Roon, can't say what the output will be.

Post on the EQ for Abyss : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21753&start=930#p759802
Menu of EQ settings for Abyss and other headphones : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=21753
Fabfilter (30-days free evaluation version) : https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-q-3-equalizer-plug-in

• 1100 Hz | -5.00 dB | Q: 3.00 (Bell)
• 2025 Hz | +3.00 dB | Q: 3.00 (Bell)
• 5000 Hz | +3.00 dB | Q: 4.00 (Bell)
• 6100 Hz | -4.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Bell)
• 7200 Hz | +3.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Bell)
• 8200 Hz | -3.00 dB | Q: 5.00 (Bell)
• Global Output : -3.00 dB

If like me you perceive that the bass sort of are bleeding, apply this additional settings. The gentleman who produced these additional EQ settings took into account the measures brought by "hifinews.co.uk" for the TC :

• 35 Hz | –2 dB | Q=2.5 (Bell)
• 150 Hz | +2.5 dB | Q=2 (Bell)
• Global Output : -3.00 dB (of course)
I prefer the Crinacale one.
but I set it and I will listen to it more.. by the way I believe 150hz should have a low shelf and not a bell
thank you

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #20,908 of 22,434
I'm subscribing to the discussion because I just picked one up this morning. I need to change one of the o-rings. As I read through the thread, I realize that I am not the only one who needs to do this. I ordered a few sizes and parts to crimp them as @Joeyjoe26 post indicates.

c9fd946e-36af-4a6c-9c01-53afa8f50344.jpg

Have you used any other processes ? Thank you so much in advance. See you soon !!

I've the PHI TC version

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #20,909 of 22,434
If anyone has an older style headband for sale, hit me up (broken O-rings or not) The newer one is a bit thick and the 1266 sits just a bit high on my ears (yes, big long skull) and the older style looks a bit thinner. But I’m not interested in getting rid of the newer one I’ve got, I’m afraid.

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #20,910 of 22,434
If anyone has an older style headband for sale, hit me up (broken O-rings or not) The newer one is a bit thick and the 1266 sits just a bit high on my ears (yes, big long skull) and the older style looks a bit thinner. But I’m not interested in getting rid of the newer one I’ve got, I’m afraid.
Get the nitrile rubber O ring box and try the bigger rings which one fits you best. I had the same fit issue with earpads hanging above the ears and this is the best solution.

Something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Sealing-Asso...71367752&sprefix=nitrile+rings,aps,392&sr=8-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back