The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #20,221 of 22,406
Has anyone A/B-ed between the WA33 (Elite/JPS/Stock) and the Primavera Trafomatic or otherwise formed first-hand listening impressions, with these amps driving the TC?

I have a serious itch to get one of the two.

I know @paradoxper has the Trafomatic and it appears to be a champ of an amp.

Comparisons between the two driving the TC would be so incredibly helpful for me right now, lol.

May 14, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #20,222 of 22,406
For those willing to give their AB-1266 TC drivers some serious gym in the bass region I recommend Graffiti Jazz No. 3, the 2nd track from the new David Chesky label The Audiophile Society free sampler. Just ludicrous :astonished:

The whole sampler is very variegated and enjoyable, I did not expect any disappointment from David. Having headphone-specific mastering available is a great option of course, I will follow closely the next releases from this label :wink:

1652529136914.png

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #20,223 of 22,406
do what i did with a lift some posts back. and to keep it in looks I used o-ring to hold the pad. I used a headphone pad for a thin head band forget had nothing to do
1652016077056.png

Geekria Hook and Loop Headband Cover + Headband Pad Set/Headband Protector with Zipper/DIY Installation No Tool Needed, Compatible with Bose B JBL ATH Hyperx Skullcandy Headphones (Black)​

did quick Amazon search and this is mine but mine is not leather

iJO0RQW.jpg

ZMF's pilot pad is working great!

May 14, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #20,224 of 22,406
For those willing to give their AB-1266 TC drivers some serious gym in the bass region I recommend Graffiti Jazz No. 3, the 2nd track from the new David Chesky label The Audiophile Society free sampler. Just ludicrous :astonished:

The whole sampler is very variegated and enjoyable, I did not expect any disappointment from David. Having headphone-specific mastering available is a great option of course, I will follow closely the next releases from this label :wink:

1652529136914.png
Doesn’t apply to TC only, actually the bass is further improved by the OG given its more musical tuning but I get your point about the album.

May 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #20,225 of 22,406
On a side note I tried my Grado RS1i’s with some blues music by Peter Green and man do they sound wonderful through the Formula S.
Definitely worth getting them as a side pair given they are quite cheap and excellent value for money.

May 15, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #20,226 of 22,406
Spent some time earlier today A/B-ing the Luxman 505uxii and the Accuphase e480 at a friend's place.

IMG_3336.JPEG

I am a big fan of Accuphase. I prefer Accuphase to Pass Labs, Gryphon, most of Mcintosh, when driving most headphones, especially the TC, because the Accuphase has this midrange sweetness which is just the right amount, and a treble that is a nice balance between being energetic and polite. I have owned the e380 for a long time.

2.JPG

However, in this instance, I wanted to see what the Luxman amp could do with the TC. I used my FiiO M17 as a palette cleanser.

IMG_2652.JPEG

The M17 drives the TC well. But of course, not nearly to its fullest technical performance potential. Switching to the Luxman, the stage widened massively even off the humble Denafrips Aries II DAC. The Luxman slammed probably twice as hard as the M17, which you would expect (the M17 was also not in DC powered mode). Resolution improved perceptibly.

IMG_3339.JPEG

Switching to the e480, the TC stage widened even more. The images were massive and out of the head. Slammed as hard as the Luxman was probably slightly, ever-so-slightly more detailed. I didn't have my own e380 at hand, but would have loved to compare.

Overall, in terms of tonal and technical performance, I preferred the Accuphase and the Luxman to the M17, which is of course, no surprise.

But what was surprising to me is how well the TC tonality synergizes with the M17. I find the M17 thick and smooth sounding, which does not work for me with ZMF cans. But with the TC, damn, it's a really lovely sound, even if you sacrifice some technical performance.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #20,227 of 22,406
Spent some time earlier today A/B-ing the Luxman 505uxii and the Accuphase e480 at a friend's place.

IMG_3336.JPEG

I am a big fan of Accuphase. I prefer Accuphase to Pass Labs, Gryphon, most of Mcintosh, when driving most headphones, especially the TC, because the Accuphase has this midrange sweetness which is just the right amount, and a treble that is a nice balance between being energetic and polite. I have owned the e380 for a long time.

2.JPG

However, in this instance, I wanted to see what the Luxman amp could do with the TC. I used my FiiO M17 as a palette cleanser.

IMG_2652.JPEG

The M17 drives the TC well. But of course, not nearly to its fullest technical performance potential. Switching to the Luxman, the stage widened massively even off the humble Denafrips Aries II DAC. The Luxman slammed probably twice as hard as the M17, which you would expect (the M17 was also not in DC powered mode). Resolution improved perceptibly.

IMG_3339.JPEG

Switching to the e480, the TC stage widened even more. The images were massive and out of the head. Slammed as hard as the Luxman was probably slightly, ever-so-slightly more detailed. I didn't have my own e380 at hand, but would have loved to compare.

Overall, in terms of tonal and technical performance, I preferred the Accuphase and the Luxman to the M17, which is of course, no surprise.

But what was surprising to me is how well the TC tonality synergizes with the M17. I find the M17 thick and smooth sounding, which does not work for me with ZMF cans. But with the TC, damn, it's a really lovely sound, even if you sacrifice some technical performance.
Thank you very much for your impressions, as a M17 owner this is a pleasure to read :).

May 15, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #20,228 of 22,406
I was able to try Accuphase C290 pre + A50V directly via speaker output with Abyss 1266 Phi and it was a bliss! Accuphase is a match made in heaven for Abyss as it has a sweet midrange with plenty of detail and 50Watt power do abyss the justice. I could compare it (on the fly) with riviera AIC 10 balance with Telefunken G73-R tubes which I do own and must sadly confess the Accuphase was hands out the winner :frowning2:.
I know the combo pre, power of Accuphase is also pricy but if you have a chance to try it (or buy) it is a must!

Attachments

• Q1070179.JPG
    Q1070179.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 15, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #20,230 of 22,406
May 15, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #20,232 of 22,406
I was able to try Accuphase C290 pre + A50V directly via speaker output with Abyss 1266 Phi and it was a bliss! Accuphase is a match made in heaven for Abyss as it has a sweet midrange with plenty of detail and 50Watt power do abyss the justice. I could compare it (on the fly) with riviera AIC 10 balance with Telefunken G73-R tubes which I do own and must sadly confess the Accuphase was hands out the winner :frowning2:.
I know the combo pre, power of Accuphase is also pricy but if you have a chance to try it (or buy) it is a must!
Later version of phi, very good!

May 16, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #20,233 of 22,406
Great to know. Will check out the combo.

May 16, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #20,234 of 22,406
Hey guys, I notice some of you have speaker amps and prefer them over headphone amps or even say less expensive speaker amps outperform higher cost headphone amps.

Got any great speaker amps in the 3,000 to 4,000 range for the TC? Was personally looking at the Benchmark AHB2.

I have the Soloist 3X GT which has a sub out. Should I get a speaker amp or just throw a subwoofer in the chain with the TC?
I use a Chord Ttoby for my desktop and Chord Etude (shared with my 2-channel) in my main set-up

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back