The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #20,074 of 22,434

well, this was a pleasant surprise indeed..
What made you randomly decide that combo considering the fact that you have much better gear already. Sometimes I think about buying a cheap combo as a back up for when the repairs take place so I am not "out of the game"

That... and also to be able to contrast/compare and appreciate the differences between higher end gear and mid/lower end gear.

Some Fun Songs on the Abyss:

Domino - Alok
Echo - Alok

Man, having a pair of great headphones is such a damn blessing, every single time I put on the Abyss, I know some magical **** is about to happen and I start smirking once those leather pads hit my ears. It took me selling my 1st pair and realizing the annoyance of speakers without a proper room to fully appreciate headphones.

Compact, simple, great sound, smiles, what more can one ask for? One of the most beautiful material items ever made, a pair of great headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #20,075 of 22,434
Tell us more please.

What made you randomly decide that combo considering the fact that you have much better gear already. Sometimes I think about buying a cheap combo as a back up for when the repairs take place so I am not "out of the game"

That... and also to be able to contrast/compare and appreciate the differences between higher end gear and mid/lower end gear.

I got the Schiit stack to place in my office. I figured I won't get much listening time there, perhaps less than a half hour a day cumulative in between work.

well, I'll be honest and say my post above was just a "for fun" post, and it can't match up to my full sized setups.

but that's the thing, because 1. i wasn't expecting it to, and 2. even though it doesn't match up, it still gets maybe 90 to 95percent of the way there. sure, it is missing that teensiest bit of pinpoint imaging, missing that extra tiny bit of soundstage and 3d sensation, perhaps just a little bit less airy and maybe just a tad less separation and layering. but for 400 bucks..??

and in case anyone is wondering, I'll straight up say it, yes the Magnius can drive the Abyss, and well. on high gain I'm just touching 12 on the knob. the kicker is, I don't think I'm missing out on much running the abyss from this stack lol (this was for the "it can drive the abyss, but can it drive it well?" group).

If I were to sell this stack at a 25-50 percent loss/discount on the classifieds a few weeks down the road, at that price I don't think I would worry too much about it. I don't think I could say the same for the other items in my signature..

i was speaking with Sajid about it and I think this stack can do the job for the majority of headphone users out there. sometimes I think we're so caught up in chasing the newest, expensive pricey options or flavour of the month, we overlook some of the true bargains out there.

I have no qualms in writing the above given I have some decent gear to compare it to.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #20,076 of 22,434
I got the Schiit stack to place in my office. I figured I won't get much listening time there, perhaps less than a half hour a day cumulative in between work.

well, I'll be honest and say my post above was just a "for fun" post, and it can't match up to my full sized setups.

but that's the thing, because 1. i wasn't expecting it to, and 2. even though it doesn't match up, it still gets maybe 90 to 95percent of the way there. sure, it is missing that teensiest bit of pinpoint imaging, missing that extra tiny bit of soundstage and 3d sensation, perhaps just a little bit less airy and maybe just a tad less separation and layering. but for 400 bucks..??

and in case anyone is wondering, I'll straight up say it, yes the Magnius can drive the Abyss, and well. on high gain I'm just touching 12 on the knob. the kicker is, I don't think I'm missing out on much running the abyss from this stack lol (this was for the "it can drive the abyss, but can it drive it well?" group).

If I were to sell this stack at a 25-50 percent loss/discount on the classifieds a few weeks down the road, at that price I don't think I would worry too much about it. I don't think I could say the same for the other items in my signature..

i was speaking with Sajid about it and I think this stack can do the job for the majority of headphone users out there. sometimes I think we're so caught up in chasing the newest, expensive pricey options or flavour of the month, we overlook some of the true bargains out there.

I have no qualms in writing the above given I have some decent gear to compare it to.
👍🏻

Apr 23, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #20,078 of 22,434
Trying out the ZMF Eikon Hybrid (suede/lambskin) Pads on the TC. Very plush and comfortable. Lose some very low sub bass. But gain a tighter bass representation and I think increased mids. Sounds pretty good. Probably going to stay with this setup for a bit.

I tried the Auteur Hybrid (suede/lamb, perforated) ... sub bass was affected too much. Everything sounded much softer. I think some type of solid pad is needed.

Edit: Actually Auteur Hybrid (suede/lamb, perforated) sounds really nice. Loses a bit of bass but upper mids are increased. Sounds very natural. Almost like TC with some Susvara like properties. Hmmmm .... either way ... i dont think I'm going back to stock pads LOL :)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #20,080 of 22,434
Anybody pairing abyss 1266TC with Mcintosh MHA 200. Please share you experience
I am and I like the presentation personally. The modest power rating of the MHA200 is continuous into every headphone and it powers the TC’s rather easily. The volume seems to logarithmic and ramps up very fast after 1 o’clock. Providing amp power into all my headphones. It fills up the TC‘s with classic McIntosh sound. The sound is full bodied and it plays well to the TC’s technicalities.

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #20,081 of 22,434
My understanding is that the Empys pads used a magnet system similar to the 1266. In the Empys I believe it is a closed system and the magnets affect the sound? Wondering if the magnets affect the 1266 or not? Replaced the pads with ZMF Eikons and thinking of sewing in small magnets to do fast replaceable pads. Thoughts?

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #20,082 of 22,434
1266 Phi TC w/ ZMF Eikon Hybrid (suede/lamb)
Susvara w/ Dekoni Elite Hybrid

Loving the combo. :) :)

IMG-0194.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-0193.jpg
    IMG-0193.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #20,083 of 22,434
Takes a lot of courage to write this. Kudos to you for that.
Did you say a lot of courage? Then what would you call what it takes to face a charging Russian tank? On some level I understand what you mean perfectly, but the word "courage" could almost imply that posting one's honest impressions on head-fi might come close to accomplishing some war-front heroics!

Okay I get it. It's all just words, in a world that is chock-full of first world problems, AKA head-fi.org:):):)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #20,084 of 22,434
I am and I like the presentation personally. The modest power rating of the MHA200 is continuous into every headphone and it powers the TC’s rather easily. The volume seems to logarithmic and ramps up very fast after 1 o’clock. Providing amp power into all my headphones. It fills up the TC‘s with classic McIntosh sound. The sound is full bodied and it plays well to the TC’s technicalities.
i don't know....for me, i don't think is good pairing, i like it more with grado RS1X (for vocal and live music).

Have you try to pair it with some other amps, like XiAudio?

Apr 23, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #20,085 of 22,434
May i know what DAC do you use?! I use Mcintosh MCD 85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back