The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #19,698 of 22,434
The earlier 1266 is, the better. Phi is the best, TC is only better than CC, and CC is the worst 1266
I mean what other headphones do you like? I’m interested in that context

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #19,700 of 22,434
https://aacollective.wordpress.com/2022/03/30/abyss-1266-phi-tc/

Damn brutal review

"Sound
So was it worth it?
Absolutely not.
I don’t understand this headphone.
The kindest way I can describe this headphone is, “Differing levels of high schooler’s home-brew speaker system in their 2003 Honda Civic.”
With as little air gap as possible, it sounds kind of like a bad stock car stereo with the bass set to flat
With full air gap, it sounds like someone only plugged in the sub in their car
With some air gap, it sounds like that person realized they forgot to plug in the rest of the wires.
I was so ready to buy this headphone from the owner that lent these to me. I wanted a headphone for EDM music that had some elevated bass and wasn’t as mid-deficient as my LCD4. But wow, I struggle to give this headphone any legitimate compliments. "
silly nonsense

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #19,702 of 22,434
The earlier 1266 is, the better. Phi is the best, TC is only better than CC, and CC is the worst 1266
CC was just a cosmetic change over the Phi, do you mean with the new CC earpads? There was no driver changes between Phi and CC. I have owned every iteration of the 1266, the TC is the most refined version of them. Less bombastic than the original but also more controlled in bass and treble. One thing I will note is that I think imaging took a slight hit with the CC pads. I think I wrote about that on this thread when I first got them.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #19,703 of 22,434
https://aacollective.wordpress.com/2022/03/30/abyss-1266-phi-tc/

Damn brutal review

"Sound
So was it worth it?
Absolutely not.
I don’t understand this headphone.
The kindest way I can describe this headphone is, “Differing levels of high schooler’s home-brew speaker system in their 2003 Honda Civic.”
With as little air gap as possible, it sounds kind of like a bad stock car stereo with the bass set to flat
With full air gap, it sounds like someone only plugged in the sub in their car
With some air gap, it sounds like that person realized they forgot to plug in the rest of the wires.
I was so ready to buy this headphone from the owner that lent these to me. I wanted a headphone for EDM music that had some elevated bass and wasn’t as mid-deficient as my LCD4. But wow, I struggle to give this headphone any legitimate compliments. "
He's right. TC is indeed like this. I don't understand that Joe clearly makes the sound so natural and true on og and phi, but TC is abnormal. What else does it have besides ultra-high solution? Is analytical power so important that it needs to give up the natural sound and become a false sound?

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #19,704 of 22,434
CC was just a cosmetic change over the Phi, do you mean with the new CC earpads? There was no driver changes between Phi and CC. I have owned every iteration of the 1266, the TC is the most refined version of them. Less bombastic than the original but also more controlled in bass and treble. One thing I will note is that I think imaging took a slight hit with the CC pads. I think I wrote about that on this thread when I first got them.
Yes, I mean when CC headphones are replaced with old ear pads instead of CC ear pads, the sound will become normal!
And TC it is indeed the most exquisite 1266, but it has lost its musicality. Musicality is more important than anything!

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #19,706 of 22,434
Yes, I mean when CC headphones are replaced with old ear pads instead of CC ear pads, the sound will become normal!
And TC it is indeed the most exquisite 1266, but it has lost its musicality. Musicality is more important than anything!
I think we're in agreement on the CC ear pads. There was a transitionary period between the Phi and CC versions where I had both and was able to swap the earpads. The old earpads sounded better to me, but the new ear pads made fitment on the head easier and were more comfortable. The old ear pads had noticeably better sound staging and imaging from what I recall. I figured I was just having trouble getting used to the new ones because nobody else seemed to notice that.

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #19,707 of 22,434
I think we're in agreement on the CC ear pads. There was a transitionary period between the Phi and CC versions where I had both and was able to swap the earpads. The old earpads sounded better to me, but the new ear pads made fitment on the head easier and were more comfortable. The old ear pads had noticeably better sound staging and imaging from what I recall. I figured I was just having trouble getting used to the new ones because nobody else seemed to notice that.
You're right. Many people haven't tried the difference between old ear pads and CC ear pads, so they don't know that old ear pads sound better. I even tried to replace TC with old ear pads. It's not only the sound field, but also better musicality and sounds more comfortable! But it's still not as good as phi

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #19,708 of 22,434
I had OG for a bit and even bought the CC pads or TC and didn’t enjoy the sound change. Bass was not as tout and treble not smooth. The first thing I didn’t like was shout and getting too loud with barely any volume.

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #19,709 of 22,434
I had OG for a bit and even bought the CC pads or TC and didn’t enjoy the sound change. Bass was not as tout and treble not smooth. The first thing I didn’t like was shout and getting too loud with barely any volume.
Now when you buy a second-hand og, you need to take it apart to see if the diaphragm is wrinkled. If it is wrinkled, do not buy it. The sound will be broken and not pleasant to hear. The aging is too serious. You need to buy an og without wrinkles

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #19,710 of 22,434
The best 1266 is the earliest head screw with a flat head screw
It's very rare, but it's 1266 with the best sense of music

Users who are viewing this thread

• vtvu
Back