The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #19,576 of 22,434
Let me get this straight. Luckily, I knew the guy in person mentioned in the "fake 1266" topic, thanks to my stay back in China during 2020-2022 caused by COVID. The guy who posted it here was trying to be nice and to warn people here to avoid, but he didn't clearly state everything, which hurt the friend who posted the original thread in the Chinese forum.

The original thread is actually talking about how he tried to clean and do some basic maintenance for a customer's OG 1266. When he opened up the headphones, he found that the driver was not the original. He couldn't decide if it was a "fake" by just looking at appearance or the headphones had some issue before and were fixed by some unprofessional guys. So, he posted the process online asking if anyone knew about the existence of that "version". All the photos were taken by him. He tried to visualize if the 1266 was genuine by some small details on the chassis, headband, and driver membrane, but he didn't get a clue. All he had confidence was that the driver was swapped for some reason but the owner was not aware.

The original thread was not posted by the owner of the "fake". The owner was shocked and felt really sad after my friend completed the maintenance and informed him.

The DIY market in China grows fast in past years and there are more and more clones coming out. It can be a good thing for customers to get cheaper parts for self-repair, but it can also hurt the profit and credit of the Brands if those factories and individual sellers (the main portion) have no ethics and limits on what they are doing.

Some gossip and rumors: there might be Audeze LCD clones sooner or later. There have already been tons of Grado clones in the second-hand market in China. There are a few clones of Kennerton Thror but I didn't have a chance to have a touch on it because I left for Australia in Dec 2021. The drivers for Grado clones even have relatively high quality with a good sound, but we can still distinguish them.

Since I also played around with DIY stuff during the past 2 years, I knew some people doing this (cloning reputable brands) and making profits from that. The cloned Grados have similarities in sound but 5 times cheaper, at least, and that's why so many people choose them. I'll post some DIY headphones I made for my own use later if anyone is interested.
So what's your point?

Mar 21, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #19,577 of 22,434
Finally recieved my lampizator golden atlantic dac!

Let me tell you, it made a woorld of difference. Keeps making me question if I’m listening to a remastered version of a song. Never enjoyed my music more.

I can't compare it to anything else, as the closest reference for me was my Fostex hpa8. There may very well be better pairings, but this sounds absolutely perfect to my ears. The sound feels full and rich without any sort of clarity or detail smudging. Tonality feels spot on too, natural was a great describing word. Personally I find it pretty euphoric as well. Makes me want to listen to every song I put through it, regardless of how well the song was mastered.

Anyways, again as I don't have much to compare it to it's hard to say this is better than the dac competition for the 1266, but I can definitely say it's a beautiful pairing. Especially considering I found this used for 5800$, compared to the MSRP of 9800$, I am VERY happy with my purchase.

Mar 21, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #19,578 of 22,434
So what's your point?
The point is, Abyss officials should not take the original post as "this guy made a fake", but he's actually the one helping us know there's a potential fake in the market.

Also, people should be aware it's not only Abyss involved in this issue but also other brands. The difference is whether the seller wanna mess around with you. If they want, I'd say sometimes it can be very hard to identify since the clones (especially Grado) are highly identical.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #19,580 of 22,434
Is there someone who actually prefers the stock cable over the SC cable sound quality wise?

Mar 22, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #19,582 of 22,434
... and how much better is really AB-1266 TC than CC Phi? Can anybody tell the difference in money? I am considering paying 800 (USD) extra for a TC. Or should I skip Abyss all together - and buy Meze, Hifiman or Audeze? Advice!

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #19,586 of 22,434
I would look at how long the TC has been out... I mean this could be the last revision for all we know or there could be more over the horizon, isn't that Abyss's whole mantra? Nothing but the best, settle for nothing less? Overall it's not a bad price considering the normal prices at Abyss, if you decide to get with another headphone, post a message in the thread for it and I bet you someone can help you get a great deal too :wink:
but I think for $800 only it would have to be the TC to have anything to compare to CC.... also your in the 1266 thread, you have to remember that, lol, would be prudent to ask around, nothing wrong with posting here though.

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #19,587 of 22,434
... and how much better is really AB-1266 TC than CC Phi? Can anybody tell the difference in money? I am considering paying 800 (USD) extra for a TC. Or should I skip Abyss all together - and buy Meze, Hifiman or Audeze? Advice!
2% transitionally formative. One would hope this is resulting in a brand-new trade.

The CC Phi is further still a more resolving bass monster than those former mentioned.

You may only wish to hold off for a time as the closed-variant is sure to release which may offer a upgrade incentive.

However, yes, the TC is king. Pair it with a tube complement, and you'll discover the rewards of most completion.

Mar 22, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #19,588 of 22,434
Would just like to share that I let my mom listen to my setup today, and she told me she was genuinely scared to close her eyes, because she felt like she would lose touch with reality.

Edit: Also! If you happen to be looking for an adrenaline rush, try listening to M. Night Shambala by Space Jesus. I've always thought this song was "Kinda cool" until I heard it on this setup. Very well mastered, lots of bass, trippy effects, absolute rollercoaster to listen to. If anyone else has some trippy songs similar to this hmu! I can't get enough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back