The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #19,531 of 22,434
Yes! I recommend this one in the 12v variant - looks great too :L3000: .
Besides that, glad to hear more people appreciate the combo M17 and TC.

I got exactly that and then had extra fun with it; plugged a Shunyata Venom digital power cord into a Shunyata Hydra Delta conditioner to get the cleanest power and it’s sounds better than with the garbage stock PSU 😂.

Not everyone’s gonna be convinced because a 1266 TC on a DAP is quite the oxymoron. But since I work abroad and will fly to my home country soon for a month, I feel a bit of anxiety being unable to listen to my gear for so long. A powerful DAP addresses that for a bit. It’s a niche use case but it’s a good year to be an audiophile with new possibilities popping up left and right.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #19,533 of 22,434
Schiit Jotunheim or Lyr if you like tubes. $600-700 with multibit card. Provided your using USB. 4W into 50 ohms.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #19,534 of 22,434
The Raal is connected to the amp. The sub is also connected to the amp via subwoofer outs.
Do you use your sub for your other headphones too?

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #19,536 of 22,434
Hello everyone. Just bought a used ab-1266 ver. 1. Everything is ok, but I can hear a little rustle inside the headphones when putting them on. I can assume that membrane on the driver got stretched over time. Am I right? And how serious the problem is? Is it ok or do I need to change drivers? The sound is ok, no obvious abnormalities.
The thread is so big, so can you help me out please? Thank you!

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #19,537 of 22,434
Hello everyone. Just bought a used ab-1266 ver. 1. Everything is ok, but I can hear a little rustle inside the headphones when putting them on. I can assume that membrane on the driver got stretched over time. Am I right? And how serious the problem is? Is it ok or do I need to change drivers? The sound is ok, no obvious abnormalities.
The thread is so big, so can you help me out please? Thank you!
Rustle can be caused by your hair touching the driver. 'When putting them on' points in that direction. Solution: get a haircut. :)

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #19,538 of 22,434
Mar 15, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #19,539 of 22,434
Rustle can be caused by your hair touching the driver. 'When putting them on' points in that direction. Solution: get a haircut. :)
Totally normal. Don't actively try to get it to happen, but if it does, and they are still producing sound no problem, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #19,540 of 22,434
Closed minded much?

Thanks for the mockery.

I think its a great idea. If you do it with a great fast musical dynamic sub. Basically I feel headphones lack the immersion from feeling the actual sound waves. Adding a sub can help. Plus I have cranked certain headphones with tons of power and a ridiculous low bass shelf but nothing touches a sub. Can't wait to join the party. :)

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #19,541 of 22,434
I think its a great idea. If you do it with a great fast musical dynamic sub. Basically I feel headphones lack the immersion from feeling the actual sound waves. Adding a sub can help. Plus I have cranked certain headphones with tons of power and a ridiculous low bass shelf but nothing touches a sub. Can't wait to join the party. :)
I have recently moved away from the use of a SW. I am now using a tactile transducer which is mounted to my bed frame. I control it with a Behringer amplifier which has DSP. This way I can control and reproduce the frequencies I want to feel.

I am using a Clark synthesis TST429 Platinum and a Behringer NX1000D.

Mar 16, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #19,542 of 22,434
I have recently moved away from the use of a SW. I am now using a tactile transducer which is mounted to my bed frame. I control it with a Behringer amplifier which has DSP. This way I can control and reproduce the frequencies I want to feel.

I am using a Clark synthesis TST429 Platinum and a Behringer NX1000D.
A tactile transducer… hmmm sounds like fun. I would love to at least experience it one of these days.

Is it less disruptive for other members of the household compared to using a sub?

I don’t crave tacticle bass with TC but what do I know, havent tried it with the TC. Havent even tried SW with TC, just the Susvara (which is fun).

Mar 16, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #19,543 of 22,434
A tactile transducer… hmmm sounds like fun. I would love to at least experience it one of these days.

Is it less disruptive for other members of the household compared to using a sub?

I don’t crave tacticle bass with TC but what do I know, havent tried it with the TC. Havent even tried SW with TC, just the Susvara (which is fun).
I've tried all versions of the Woojer and Subpac 2... They are not fast enough to keep up with the TCs... Or the SR1a. But the Clark Synthesis works quite well.

The transducer does vibrate... A lot! But unlike a SW... vibrations can be dampened and focused to the listening position with the proper use of isolation feet.

I use the transducer mainly for the viseral SW feeling when listening to Dolby Atmos films through my Smyth Realiser A16.

Mar 16, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #19,544 of 22,434
I used the Subpac S2 with TC. Agree, it is not fast enough but still adds something the TC didn't. What's different about the Clark? Seeing its FR go up to 17khz as a physical feeling sounds interesting. Surely must be a lot faster than the subpac.

I take it the platinum is their highest model? I may pick one up after my Burson GT arrives. @Litlgi74

Mar 16, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #19,545 of 22,434
I've tried all versions of the Woojer and Subpac 2... They are not fast enough to keep up with the TCs... Or the SR1a. But the Clark Synthesis works quite well.

The transducer does vibrate... A lot! But unlike a SW... vibrations can be dampened and focused to the listening position with the proper use of isolation feet.

I use the transducer mainly for the viseral SW feeling when listening to Dolby Atmos films through my Smyth Realiser A16.
Would you mind sharing a picture of your setup, Litlgi74?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back