The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #18,976 of 22,461
Dec 26, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #18,978 of 22,461
We did it. Woohoo.

*Plays FLAC binaural audio of champagne bottles popping*

*Swears it sounds better than 320 kbps MP3 version of the same track*

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #18,979 of 22,461
I have to post on the 1266th page for historic reasons. It’s still my favorite pair of headphones ever :L3000:

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #18,983 of 22,461
My 1266 TC also has the sleepy driver problem. Sometimes it's the right side, but the left side was also quieter or didn't work at all. Then you turn the amplifier up briefly and everything runs perfectly. For me it's always when I don't use the headphones for a few days. I had already written to JPS and they said that if both drivers play, I should let them play. The warranty has already expired. Has anyone here with the sleepy driver problem also had a total failure with a driver or do the drivers always start up again? I could live with it if the drivers continued to work like this for many years. Many people here seem to have this problem. Does anyone know what the cause of this is? It must be a production error. @Abyss Headphones
I have a friend who just went through this "sleepy driver" issue on a 1266. I believe this is what ALL of you are going through (unless you pierced the driver with something!) and it is strange but easily fixed. His warranty was expired so he was okay with opening it up.

It turns out that crud builds up under the connection of the wire right at the driver diaphragm. I have never opened mine (too new and work just fine) but there is some kind of clip or mating metal (likely due to limited heating allowable on the planar membrane material) that brings the red and white wires to the tracing. He gave it a wiggle and lots of crud fell out from under it and then it was all good. Weeks later, the other driver did it and the same "wiggle the crud out" procedure fixed that one too. Maybe it is a flux material or membrane coating out-gassing something that migrates onto the metal contacts but only Abyss knows that one.

This was after we diagnosed that the pins still had a 49ish ohm impedance and the wires were still making connections. It seems that the problem is when current is driven, the connections fail and if you get it to work, it's because you put some vibration into the area that displaced just enough crud to create a minimal connection. I hope I never need to do this, but if I do, I am somewhat confident that I will be able to fix it. I treat them like gold so I can't imagine anything else causing a failure.

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #18,984 of 22,461
@MWeston
Sounds logical and maybe that's the reason why it begin after a longer time. Mine is about 3 years old.
Have your collegue images and a small description how to exactly opened it?
I think I read somewhere else that you must be very careful to open because the driver stands in pressure and can falling apart.
@Abyss Headphones Or can someone from JPS explain how to fix without sending it to the USA. Sounds like it's an little fix to do it yourself.

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #18,985 of 22,461
I hope there’s still room for one more post on page 1266! Just got to listen to them today after a long holiday trip (plus mandatory quarantine), and they sound sublime. I initially used the stock cable but then switched to Norne Vykari and the sound became more even with better mids. I must say in my setup, the sound is a bit similar to Susvara.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #18,986 of 22,461
I hope still room for one more post on page 1266! Just got to listen to them today after a long holiday trip (plus mandatory quarantine), and they sound sublime. I initially used the stock cable but then switched to Norne Vykari and the sound became more even with better mids. I must say in my setup, the sound is a bit similar to Susvara.
Ah so you have eventually received them. I am sure the wait was worthwhile

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #18,987 of 22,461
Here's my hommage to the mighty AB-1266 on its eponymous thread page, through a tour de force playlist of American composers' masterpieces.

Live recordings, big atmospheric sound, huge dynamics swings, a lot of fun :beyersmile:

Only recommendation: play them loud!

duke.png

fanfare.png

john-williams.png

rhapsody-blue.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #18,988 of 22,461
Ah so you have eventually received them. I am sure the wait was worthwhile
Yes finally! Well it performs at the same level as SR1a and Susvara, just a bit of different flavor in tonality, but not by much. And this also applies to the bass, more similar than different (please note that I use EQ for both Susvara and SR1a).

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #18,990 of 22,461
I hope there’s still room for one more post on page 1266! Just got to listen to them today after a long holiday trip (plus mandatory quarantine), and they sound sublime. I initially used the stock cable but then switched to Norne Vykari and the sound became more even with better mids. I must say in my setup, the sound is a bit similar to Susvara.
Seems there is room for one more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back