The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #18,631 of 22,531
it certainly is a great pairing...tough to beat for sure

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #18,632 of 22,531
I'm really starting to subscribe to the idea that the 1266 should just come with the Formula S + Powerman.
They are very good together that's for sure!

Nov 20, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #18,633 of 22,531
it certainly is a great pairing...tough to beat for sure
I'm a believer. Learned the expensive way, but I may be one of the few people out there that have compared the two directly (believe me, i searched for weeks to find a real comparison review). And the FS+P is only 4 hours old now, not even close to having any burn-in time on it.

I spent so much time tweaking and fiddling with the fit to try to correct the sound. With this pairing the fit isn't nearly as critical, it just sounds right.

And I now understand what "Blacker background" means. You really have to experience it to understand. Intro to Road to Nowhere was the first time with this pairing that I understood. Just wow.

That said, if the TToby sounded as good as it did on the 1266 it must sound amazing with speakers.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #18,634 of 22,531
LOL OMG. I just tried Amir's Parametric EQ settings in Roon for the 1266. WTAF.
He's got something horribly horribly wrong.

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #18,635 of 22,531
This is a great classical and jazz collection (Qobuz 24/192 stream available) to test the resolving capabilities and the timbre accuracy of our AB-1266 setups :wink:

yarlung.png

Generally speaking these tracks excel with clarity, transparency and spaciousness, and are very natural sounding - the trademark of Yarlung records.

In my case, I am getting the best results with the AIC-10 equipped with a NOS Mullard tube, and the Superconductor cable. Other options I tried veered a bit too much on the cold / distant side, although sometimes making details and instrument separation feel almost spooky, yet at the expense of overall musicality.

By the way, the Valkyria sounds best directly via the DAVE with this specific album, where resolution, depth of field and microdynamics - and timbre even-ness - play a big role in making the musical illusion work.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #18,636 of 22,531
This is a great classical and jazz collection to test the resolving capabilities and the timbre accuracy of our AB-1266 setups :wink:

yarlung.png

Generally speaking these tracks excel with clarity, transparency and spaciousness, and are very natural sounding - the trademark of Yarlung records.

In my case, I am getting the best results with the AIC-10 equipped with a NOS Mullard tube, and the Superconductor cable. Other options I tried veered a bit too much on the cold / distant side, although sometimes making details and instrument separation feel almost spooky, yet at the expense of overall musicality.

By the way, the Valkyria sounds best directly via the DAVE with this specific album, where resolution, depth of field and microdynamics - and timbre even-ness - play a big role in making the musical illusion work.
Pretty much ALL of the Yarlung recordings are about as good as it gets.

Nov 20, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #18,637 of 22,531
This is a great classical and jazz collection (Qobuz 24/192 stream available) to test the resolving capabilities and the timbre accuracy of our AB-1266 setups :wink:

yarlung.png

Thank you! Great suggestion

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #18,638 of 22,531
Dear friends,

the screw on my Abyss TC headband is not as tight as it once was. Because of this, when I spread it out for the loosest fit (and biggest soundstage), it collapses to the smallest size as the o rings pull it back together. How do I tighten the screw so that the headband stays in place at the width I choose?

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #18,639 of 22,531
Dear friends,

the screw on my Abyss TC headband is not as tight as it once was. Because of this, when I spread it out for the loosest fit (and biggest soundstage), it collapses to the smallest size as the o rings pull it back together. How do I tighten the screw so that the headband stays in place at the width I choose?
Good question. Abyss have said not to try to tighten the screw yourself. Have you tried larger o rings? If the rings are a little larger the headband might stay in place.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #18,641 of 22,531
I do not have larger o-rings. I need to get the screw tightened...
You can get it thumb tight otherwise you'll need to send them in for service.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #18,643 of 22,531
That is crazy. I live overseas. To send in headphones to tighten a screw is absurd. Can a local technician do it?
Ask Joe what is their custom screw head type.

Nov 20, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #18,644 of 22,531
Does the 1266 lend itself to listening while working at a desk? I saw a reviewer talk about how the headphones can tilt if you look down at something because you're supposed to create an air gap

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #18,645 of 22,531
Ok I'm almost afraid to ask, but I just got the formula s + powerman and....I think the volume knob is reversed. Shouldnt xi (11) be full volume?
I had the same predicament when I first received my Formula S (no powerman). I was really concerned about first play as I didn't want to blow a driver. I eventually settled on putting it in the middle and turning volume down in the Music app on my Mac.

Currently playing with a Freya+ with an Aegir for driving the TCs, and I think I like it more than the Formula S? Power draw is insane though, not a summer-friendly config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back