The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #18,046 of 22,434
@Orlok Where did you find your XLR to banana plug cable? I decided to go with the TToby for the Phi TC.
I don't think he comes on here anymore. He said a while back hes into other hobbies now. His xlr to banana plug cable is from moon audio

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #18,048 of 22,434
I happen to know he ordered from Moon Audio. It won’t appear on their site; you will have to call and they will take care of you.
AH thats why. I was scouring their site for it. It looked like a silver dragon. Thank you!!

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #18,049 of 22,434
AH thats why. I was scouring their site for it. It looked like a silver dragon. Thank you!!
FYI most any cable manufacturer can do this. I got one from Forza and another from a member in this forum. Pick your favorite cable maker and you can ask them to make you one.

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #18,050 of 22,434
Yes, it is a silver dragon. Here is a picture shamelessly stolen from @Orlok.

F9AB4368-1C00-42C8-AC35-AEBC6561F166.jpeg

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #18,051 of 22,434
Dude, the rich in India are insanely rich. As is the case for most developing countries.

I grew up in Bangladesh and the US and go to India occasionally for work and fun.

I am an academic and a CEO of an international organization. US-educated. Columbia, Dartmouth, etc.

But that’s beside the point. There are homegrown rich guys, richer than me, in India and Bangladesh, who have two-channel systems worth the size of GDP of small countries.

Its a brave new world. Lol. Just saying.

🙂
I spent many a time in Bangladesh. I flew to Dhaka, and then transferred to Chittagong. I used to go four times a year for many years. I had a joint venture with an apparel factory in Chittagong.

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #18,052 of 22,434
@Orlok Where did you find your XLR to banana plug cable? I decided to go with the TToby for the Phi TC.
I've been using a Vykari adapter from Norne. It's great! There many other options though.

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #18,053 of 22,434
I spent many a time in Bangladesh. I flew to Dhaka, and then transferred to Chittagong. I used to go four times a year for many years. I had a joint venture with an apparel factory in Chittagong.
They make the top quality cotton garments after obviously egyptian cotton.
I always check the label before buying basics, if made in Bangladesh then rest assured the garment will last.

Oct 9, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #18,054 of 22,434
A while back someone was enquiring about dac recommendation.
I can certainly recommend https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97
It’s a little hidden gem, not many are aware of this, couple of North American Audio forums do discuss it but it’s still fairly unknown.
I can certainly endorse it as a steal given its price. I have tried myriad number of DACs mostly in the 3-8K price range and the musical paradise certainly plays in that field. The cool part is it’s modular and future proof. Also lots of fun with tube rolling and changing the sonic signature.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #18,056 of 22,434
Is anybody using Audio GD HE9 with the Abyss 1266? I’m surprised this combination hasn’t been discussed on headfi

I used the Master 9 extensively with the Phi, not the TC. Its....good, not great. Certainly powerful enough.

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #18,057 of 22,434
I can certainly recommend https://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97
It’s a little hidden gem, not many are aware of this, couple of North American Audio forums do discuss it but it’s still fairly unknown.
I can certainly endorse it as a steal given its price. I have tried myriad number of DACs mostly in the 3-8K price range and the musical paradise certainly plays in that field. The cool part is it’s modular and future proof. Also lots of fun with tube rolling and changing the sonic signature.
I have tried their tube preamplifier which sounded very good and also sounded in the 3-8k range after some very easy tube and capacitor upgrades. I couldn’t keep it because it was just so big and bulky and I needed the space. But if u have the space, this brand indeed has gems.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #18,059 of 22,434
This DAC looks great for the price. New to the idea of tubes in the DAC. How much of a difference does it make having tubes in the DAC vs amp if you have a SS amp?

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #18,060 of 22,434
This DAC looks great for the price. New to the idea of tubes in the DAC. How much of a difference does it make having tubes in the DAC vs amp if you have a SS amp?
The $1000 price on the webpage quickly becomes $2000 after clicking on what I consider "must" upgrades and shipping.
Changing tubes will make large differences in sound character (with no guarantee any will be just perfect), and one interesting fact is 12.6V filament switch will accomodate E80CC tubes, which are interesting-sounding tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back