The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #17,461 of 22,434
2 and 10. Toe out with the back of the earpads touching your head. It allows for a ton of bass and the headphones move around less. I have a big head, so I’m not sure if that is interacting with everything though
Since I have a bulbous head: 5 and 11 here, for bass, so that the opening is towards my jaw. I have had fun testing real deep bass, below audible, and have had some skull rattling at 8Hz.

For regular listening almost the opposite, as the 1266 is no bass wimp even then.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #17,462 of 22,434
A new user of the Abyss 1266 Phi TC here. Listening directly from TT2. I've listened for two weeks by now and I'm really impressed how detailed, spacious and punchy can headphones be. Switching from Meze Empyrean was like changing the low resolution to 4k on youtube :D

I have a big head and I felt that o-rings are too small for me. Even after finding my best fit for both comfort and sound, after manually stretching the speakers, just 1-2mm from my head, the improvement was significant. I ordered bigger o-rings and the 1266s became the greatest miracle I've ever experienced in my audiophile life :)

00DF424A-72B1-457B-85D5-A879C773A5FE.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #17,463 of 22,434
A new user of the Abyss 1266 Phi TC here. Listening directly from TT2. I've listened for two weeks by now and I'm really impressed how detailed, spacious and punchy can headphones be. Switching from Meze Empyrean was like changing the low resolution to 4k on youtube :D

I have a big head and I felt that o-rings are too small for me. Even after finding my best fit for both comfort and sound, after manually stretching the speakers, just 1-2mm from my head, the improvement was significant. I ordered bigger o-rings and the 1266s became the greatest miracle I've ever experienced in my audiophile life :)

9DEFD4E3-4576-4CB4-B009-429F48490FCF.jpeg
Congrats. Welcome to the TC, lol.

Been rocking to it all day today.

On a different and unrelated note, how did you like the M8? Sold it off?

Now back to the TC.

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #17,464 of 22,434
Welcome to the Audiophile Bighead Club. :relaxed:

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #17,465 of 22,434
Curious what everyone else is using?
My pads are not oriented symmetrically as my ears are not symmetrical either (one is higher than the other). On the left side the seam of the pad is facing 3 and on the right the seam is facing 10. This creates an even seal towards the bottom of the pads which gives me the most consistent bass response. I toe out slightly to open the front of the pads and get a bit more bass. I don't toe in cause that squishes my head but I do like how that moves the sound in front a bit it's just not conformable to leave it like that

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #17,466 of 22,434
Congrats. Welcome to the TC, lol.

Been rocking to it all day today.

On a different and unrelated note, how did you like the M8? Sold it off?

Now back to the TC.
I liked it, both the sound and the build quality, but it turned out that I cannot find much usage of a DAP in my life. I work mostly at home (software architect), sometimes at the office, when it is easier to use Hugo2. Hugo2 produces a bit more refined sound, but it has no streaming/dap functionalities. However, it does not matter in my use case. I realized that I much more prefer using my bt headset (bose nc700) on the street, exclusively for calls and audiobook listening than carrying a brick in the pocket lol :D
Comparing H2, M8, and some other hi-end DAPs, I had to focus to hear a difference. However, after buying Chord TT2.. holy s**t, what an improvement! An authority to drive any IEM or HP is completely from a different league. That's why I landed on TT2 and H2 (well, at least when @ChordElectronics finally starts servicing my H2 and sends it back to me).
I hope that helped @Sajid Amit

Going back to 1266s, I've read that some of you say that it requires a lot of power. My experience is similar to what Passion for Sound presented in his last review though: that if you have enough power to drive some HP, then you only can change the sound signature by using a different or better amp. I hesitate from introducing an external amp, as I love the clarity and resolution that TT2 provides and I expect that any addition to my chain would decrease it (ofc, not saying that the overall music experience couldn't be better though!). However, it's a long time since I used an external amp (and I've never had a really hi-end >3k amp), so I'm open to experimenting.

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #17,467 of 22,434
I liked it, both the sound and the build quality, but it turned out that I cannot find much usage of a DAP in my life. I work mostly at home (software architect), sometimes at the office, when it is easier to use Hugo2. Hugo2 produces a bit more refined sound, but it has no streaming/dap functionalities. However, it does not matter in my use case. I realized that I much more prefer using my bt headset (bose nc700) on the street, exclusively for calls and audiobook listening than carrying a brick in the pocket lol :D
Comparing H2, M8, and some other hi-end DAPs, I had to focus to hear a difference. However, after buying Chord TT2.. holy s**t, what an improvement! An authority to drive any IEM or HP is completely from a different league. That's why I landed on TT2 and H2 (well, at least when @ChordElectronics finally starts servicing my H2 and sends it back to me).

Going back to 1266s, I've read that some of you say that it requires a lot of power. My experience is similar to what Passion for Sound presented in his last review though: that if you have enough power to drive some HP, then you only can change the sound signature by using a different or better amp. I hesitate from introducing an external amp, as I love the clarity and resolution that TT2 provides and I expect that any addition to my chain would decrease it (ofc, not saying that the overall music experience couldn't be better though!). However, it's a long time since I used an external amp (and I've never had a really hi-end >3k amp), so I'm open to experimenting.
You may audition Benchmark HPA4 which is perfectly colourless and neutral, and not altering the sound signature of Chord TT2 at all in my experience.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #17,468 of 22,434
You may audition Benchmark HPA4 which is perfectly colourless and neutral, and not altering the sound signature of Chord TT2 at all in my experience.
I think the Headamp GSX Mk2 is an option. I believe @Slim1970 uses one with a Dave to not sacrifice any of the transparency of the dac.

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #17,469 of 22,434

TT2 really should have enough power, so if you aren't experiencing any kind of deficiency, I wouldn't think you need an additional amp. As far as the transparency, like mentioned above, use a high quality transparent external amp and any difference in transparency should be minimum to barely discernible.

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #17,470 of 22,434
I used the GSX mkii and it is very transparent. Plenty of power and looks good too! Can't comment on the TT2, opinions seem to vary on wether it has enough power.

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #17,471 of 22,434
I used the GSX mkii and it is very transparent. Plenty of power and looks good too! Can't comment on the TT2, opinions seem to vary on wether it has enough power.
TT2 for the Abyss? Only thing in question is the single ended output power, which Rob Watts, and a few of us have confirmed has enough juice. The XLR balanced outs are capable of driving speakers and have more than ample power for the Abyss (and high current delivery thanks to the supercaps).

Sep 1, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #17,472 of 22,434
2 and 10. Toe out with the back of the earpads touching your head. It allows for a ton of bass and the headphones move around less. I have a big head, so I’m not sure if that is interacting with everything though
I feel this is likely the best setting for most. I like 1 and 11 also with a slight toe-out to bring a slightly tighter bass response comparatively.
I do feel like past 3 you start drowning out the bass and ride the line of distortion frequently.

Do you guys use a opening reference track to ensure your mood suites correct fitment settings?

I always use Lorn - Ask The Dust - Ghosst to ensure I'm happy with the bass response.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #17,473 of 22,434

this is a very convincing discussion of amp and power with the susvara.....well laid out discussion

Sep 1, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #17,474 of 22,434
Just to clarify, I believe (before adding an amp) that TT2 is powerful enough for TC. I use it on -30 to -17 (high gain) depending on the track.
My opinions are similar to the ones presented in the video above.
The only reason I'm considering introducing anything to my chain would be to make vocals more life-like. They are super-detailed and all, but seem a bit artificial to me. Tomorrow I'll get back my Arctic Cables cable after retermination, I cannot wait to see how that influences the sound.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #17,475 of 22,434
Just to clarify, I believe (before adding an amp) that TT2 is powerful enough for TC. I use it on -30 to -17 (high gain) depending on the track.
TT2 is absolutely capable of driving 1266, no issues with power.
The only reason I'm considering introducing anything to my chain would be to make vocals more life-like. They are super-detailed and all, but seem a bit artificial to me.
I had the same problem, improved it by changing TT2 to dCS Bartok and later added Riviera AIC-10 for some tube magic. Now 1266's mids are no longer lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back