The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #17,446 of 22,434
Likely a perceived notion. Likewise, the same for the perceptions that EQ solves for everything and costs nothing.
It costs, by all means. But we should recognise that studios EQ, and balance the cost/benefit. What should also be considered, is that there are different types of EQ. The type with 20 levers that you can push up and down seem not to be optimal for studio use. It seems (though I am surely not an expert here, just an avid listener) that the most coveted studio EQ is the Pultec, which has very few levers, and which can only EQ down, not up. It seems to preserve the original signal best, making the loss side of the equation the smallest, while also providing the most sought-for EQ. Something to consider to us audiophiles.

Pultec sample at right after 173 secs, when he flips a switch:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #17,447 of 22,434
It costs, by all means. But we should recognise that studios EQ, and balance the cost/benefit. What should also be considered, is that there are different types of EQ. The type with 20 levers that you can push up and down seem not to be optimal for studio use. It seems (though I am surely not an expert here, just an avid listener) that the most coveted studio EQ is the Pultec, which has very few levers, and which can only EQ down, not up. It seems to preserve the original signal best, making the loss side of the equation the smallest, while also providing the most sought-for EQ. Something to consider to us audiophiles.

Pultec sample at right after 173 secs, when he flips a switch:

I may not disagree with you. It should also be recognized that engineers and audiophiles serve different masters. Which was, in part, my directive point.

In that, I would, if I were you, have asked why don't audiophiles consider means of studio EQ -- something such as the Maag Audio Mastering EQ.

But you're correct, part of the issue is different types / understanding of EQ.

However, curiously many audiophiles are staunchly and willfully ignorant to the technicalities therein.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #17,448 of 22,434
I may not disagree with you. It should also be recognized that engineers and audiophiles serve different masters. Which was, in part, my directive point.
Point taken and pun appreciated. :relaxed:

We do also walk in different herds. For let's admit it, though we do follow our own tastes, we also follow the prevalent advice in the herd. In the studio end, some engineers regard V76 as the holy grail whereas others have not heard of it. Just like in head-fi. So I guess I should also speak of sub-herds.

I try to cross between the herds, for I know I have no chance of testing it all myself. So I borrow different ears and different judgements. From different herds. I struck a really lucky one with the 1266, and even with simple EQ it seems to respond well to it. Other headphones don't. But as you said, EQ still does cost, so it's a matter of finding the "ultimate". But I have, as you may have noticed, no belief in "neutrality" or "harman curves" as absolutes. I go for musical tonality, and optimal tonality differs for different music.

But positions stated, I am interested in which experiences people have had with different tonal tweaks -- everything from cable type to tube/ss to plain eq.

Aug 31, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #17,449 of 22,434
Point taken and pun appreciated. :relaxed:

We do also walk in different herds. For let's admit it, though we do follow our own tastes, we also follow the prevalent advice in the herd. In the studio end, some engineers regard V76 as the holy grail whereas others have not heard of it. Just like in head-fi. So I guess I should also speak of sub-herds.

I try to cross between the herds, for I know I have no chance of testing it all myself. So I borrow different ears and different judgements. From different herds. I struck a really lucky one with the 1266, and even with simple EQ it seems to respond well to it. Other headphones don't. But as you said, EQ still does cost, so it's a matter of finding the "ultimate". But I have, as you may have noticed, no belief in "neutrality" or "harman curves" as absolutes. I go for musical tonality, and optimal tonality differs for different music.

But positions stated, I am interested in which experiences people have had with different tonal tweaks -- everything from cable type to tube/ss to plain eq.
Yes, it's not so cut and dry in anything.

It may be interesting to start a larger discussion of why don't audiophiles employ EQ. In that, a broader scope than just DAW > plug-in, emulation.
It's a complicated chain, certainly. I would ask considering the compulsive and deep-reaching potential nature of the audiophile.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #17,450 of 22,434
Curious how many other people toe in/out their 1266TC? It's alot more uncomfortable but makes the bass totally insane lol

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #17,451 of 22,434
Curious how many other people toe in/out their 1266TC? It's alot more uncomfortable but makes the bass totally insane lol

I definitely do that (but the other way). There’s a fine line though. Toe out too much and the bass gets loose. Toe out just right and you have subwoofers in your ears :L3000:

The only other headphones with that much bass are the Fostex th900mk2. Though, the TCs toed out are the winners. You can drive the th900mk2s off a DragonFly though

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #17,452 of 22,434

I do, but not to that degree. You definitely like your bass, haha.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #17,453 of 22,434
I definitely do that (but the other way). There’s a fine line though. Toe out too much and the bass gets loose. Toe out just right and you have subwoofers in your ears :L3000:

The only other headphones with that much bass are the Fostex th900mk2. Though, the TCs toed out are the winners. You can drive the th900mk2s off a DragonFly though
It's just too much fun with them toe'd out I barely listen anymore with them perfectly straight. My jaw is literally on the floor every song from the bass lol :metal: :deadhorse:

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #17,454 of 22,434
It's just too much fun with them toe'd out I barely listen anymore with them perfectly straight. My jaw is literally on the floor every song from the bass lol :metal: :deadhorse:
Have you played with rotating the ear cups? Putting the seam at 3 and 9 oclock (or even more extreme) will increase the air gap in the back = more bass.

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #17,455 of 22,434
Have you played with rotating the ear cups? Putting the seam at 3 and 9 oclock (or even more extreme) will increase the air gap in the back = more bass.
Initially I thought 1pm was the best but after experimenting, 3pm seems to be the best bass and that's where I keep it. I will try 9pm again and get back to you with what I think.

Curious what everyone else is using?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #17,456 of 22,434
Initially I thought 1pm was the best but after experimenting, 3pm seems to be the best bass and that's where I keep it. I will try 9pm again and get back to you with what I think.

2 and 10. Toe out with the back of the earpads touching your head. It allows for a ton of bass and the headphones move around less. I have a big head, so I’m not sure if that is interacting with everything though

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #17,457 of 22,434
2 and 10. Toe out with the back of the earpads touching your head. It allows for a ton of bass and the headphones move around less. I have a big head, so I’m not sure if that is interacting with everything though
Have you bent the frame at all?

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #17,458 of 22,434
Have you bent the frame at all?
Yes, I did bend it outward. I had to bend it with the OG headband because it was pretty tight. Now with the new headband, I just went up one size on the o-rings. It fits pretty well

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #17,459 of 22,434
this is what makes the abyss so different...the ability to change the sound appreciably...only the sr1a allows the same as far as I know

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #17,460 of 22,434

I also have mine at 3 and 9 and slightly toed in toward the front, which after a ton of experimenting is the best general setting for me. Interestingly with the Phi, having the pads at 3 and 9 would result in a lot of bass distortion, but not so with the TC.

I find there are pros and cons to most of the typical positions for the pads. As I rotate the pad seams toward vertical I get a slightly fuller and intimate sound but lose some airiness, soundstaging and bass.

this is what makes the abyss so different...the ability to change the sound appreciably...only the sr1a allows the same as far as I know
True and unique. These headphones are endlessly tweakable.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back