The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #17,239 of 22,531
Well, dudes. You might not like it, but the Riviera AIC-10 is an exceptionally awesome amplifier for the Abyss HP. Quite expensive, but, holy chat!
Also own AIC-10 and love it. I don't think it is as clean sounding amplifier as Viva Egoista 845, and if I didn't have already good integrated solid state amplifier that comes 90% to Egoista, I think I wouldn't get Riviera. AIC-10 adds the necessary coloration I wanted for 1266 mids, makes it sound better than Susvara or Valkyria, which both excell in mids. It even makes it dead close to HE-1 in mids. This being said, I wouldn't recommend AIC-10 blindly to others, as I don't think you are getting the best out of 1266 for EDM that way. I haven't tube rolled yet though, so let's see how that changes things.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #17,240 of 22,531
Hello.

Can some owners of the orignal 1266 please send me their EQ settings?

I feel like the voices are just a little thin and that can be fixed with EQ.

Thanks!!!
If you want to try these settings 😉

4504BDB7-5D2C-448E-BAC3-115E5CB878E5.png
D05F5F63-BAB1-41DF-B73C-1A422D871E85.png

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #17,241 of 22,531
Also own AIC-10 and love it. I don't think it is as clean sounding amplifier as Viva Egoista 845, and if I didn't have already good integrated solid state amplifier that comes 90% to Egoista, I think I wouldn't get Riviera. AIC-10 adds the necessary coloration I wanted for 1266 mids, makes it sound better than Susvara or Valkyria, which both excell in mids. It even makes it dead close to HE-1 in mids. This being said, I wouldn't recommend AIC-10 blindly to others, as I don't think you are getting the best out of 1266 for EDM that way. I haven't tube rolled yet though, so let's see how that changes things.
How often do you have to bias the tubes on the Riviera and is it easy? Tks.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #17,242 of 22,531
How often do you have to bias the tubes on the Riviera and is it easy? Tks.
As far as I know you don't need to bias tubes on Viva Audio, Riviera nor Woo Audio tube amplifiers, but correct me someone if I am wrong.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #17,243 of 22,531
Just to add to the discussion here and echo what was said earlier about how we all hear differently - so important you listen for yourself.

I own the TC (powered by AIC-10, Valkyria (powered directly from DAVE) and Sr1a (powered by JotR) and for my listening preferences (acoustic - string and piano, jazz, 70's rock, blues and female vocal), the best combo is the Valkyria directly out of the DAVE. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what the AIC-10 does for the TC but it's strengths are more with other genres. I find the timber more natural through the V and SR1a. Only reason, I prefer the V to the SR1a is that it adds a lot of weight and not just in the bottom, everything - I love the way you really "feel" the music with the V.

Anyways, I fully recognize why everyone really likes the TC (particularly with the AIC-10) but there is no "best headphone" as we do all hear different and have different music preferences.

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #17,244 of 22,531
Just to add to the discussion here and echo what was said earlier about how we all hear differently - so important you listen for yourself.

I own the TC (powered by AIC-10, Valkyria (powered directly from DAVE) and Sr1a (powered by JotR) and for my listening preferences (acoustic - string and piano, jazz, 70's rock, blues and female vocal), the best combo is the Valkyria directly out of the DAVE. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what the AIC-10 does for the TC but it's strengths are more with other genres. I find the timber more natural through the V and SR1a. Only reason, I prefer the V to the SR1a is that it adds a lot of weight and not just in the bottom, everything - I love the way you really "feel" the music with the V.

Anyways, I fully recognize why everyone really likes the TC (particularly with the AIC-10) but there is no "best headphone" as we do all hear different and have different music preferences.
I couldn't agree more. If I was listening to the type of music you are, Valkyria would really work well. I haven't had a chance to listen to SR1a, have that planned for end of August though. I expect SR1a to present itself more with more air, compared to Valkyria which is more "meaty". Have you had a chance to compare Valkyria to Susvara, would be interested in reading your impressions on that front.

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #17,245 of 22,531
I couldn't agree more. If I was listening to the type of music you are, Valkyria would really work well. I haven't had a chance to listen to SR1a, have that planned for end of August though. I expect SR1a to present itself more with more air, compared to Valkyria which is more "meaty". Have you had a chance to compare Valkyria to Susvara, would be interested in reading your impressions on that front.
No, I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the Susvara. Maybe one day...

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #17,247 of 22,531
Hello. Newish to this forum. I'm in the market for my next headphone. I've decided on the 1266. Has anyone paired it with a Burson Conductor 3X? If so I'm curious if the Burson has enough power for the Abyss. Also if sonically if they have a synergy together. Thank you and I look forward to any responses.

I went with the Soloist 3XP and found it a great pairing with my Phi TC and I much prefer it to the Conductor 3XP which I had in house ~ 2weeks. Burson makes a far better headphone amp stage than dac implementation (IMO). I've rolled the op amps and found the Sparkos duals to be better than either Vivids or V6 Classics (again IMO). The only thing I'm not considering is looking at their upgraded power supply and perhaps using the Soloist in power amp mode and another amp with volume control.

Is it end game (no) but it's far better than the mountain of MidFi amps I went through previously.

Aug 14, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #17,250 of 22,531
One thing that I dislike about the TCs is they make other headphones that are supposed to sound good, sound bad in comparison :disappointed:

TOTL problems I guess :thinking:
Outside of SR1a even with stats this is so true. And it is so satisfying. ABYSS_SMILEY_1266.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back