The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #16,186 of 22,443
As someone who started with 2k budget earlier this year, and ended up spending over 20k, I think I don't have a choice even if I wanted to :)
You made the right choice. Bartok is at a level above DAVE. Rest easy. :wink:

May 25, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #16,188 of 22,443
As someone who started with 2k budget earlier this year, and ended up spending over 20k, I think I don't have a choice even if I wanted to :)
I'm a little scared to read the review. I've spent way too much money on this hobby already. Hopefully there's a 2-3 month back order on the Bartok. That will stop me from ordering.

May 25, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #16,189 of 22,443
I'm a little scared to read the review. I've spent way too much money on this hobby already. Hopefully there's a 2-3 month back order on the Bartok. That will stop me from ordering.
Looking at your signature, you have an impressive setup. I see how you would be worried to upgrade to Bartók, haha.

May 25, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #16,190 of 22,443
This bartok better be sold out for months. I emailed my my dealer just now.

BTW - I saw you listen to EDM mostly. Give me some examples of your favorite songs.

A couple that I'm constantly listening to right now are.
Glue by Bicep and Jazz 303 by Joey Beltram

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #16,191 of 22,443
BTW - I saw you listen to EDM mostly. Give me some examples of your favorite songs.
I tested Bartók with songs I know very well, like Calvin Harris - Summer and Feel So Close; Diplo - Where are Ü Now; Benny Benassi - Cinema; deadmau5 - Ghosts 'n' Stuff; Skrillex - Bangarang and my most favourite of all Eric Prydz - Opus.

May 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #16,194 of 22,443
This bartok better be sold out for months. I emailed my my dealer just now.

A couple that I'm constantly listening to right now are.
Glue by Bicep and Jazz 303 by Joey Beltram
If I’m testing for bass I like Slow Acid by Calvin Harris. Also some Knife Party is always good.
Dancing on my own (Tiesto Remix) Calum Scott :ok_hand:

In the Air - Morgan Page :metal:

The Longest Road - Morgan Page (copious amounts of bass, perhaps headache inducing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

May 25, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #16,196 of 22,443
May 25, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #16,197 of 22,443
Limit to Your Love - James Blake
Terrible song but the bass is subterranean. It's nuts on the 1266.
This is always a test track for me too

May 25, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #16,198 of 22,443
I used to listen to tons of EDM but today only occasionally, and usually just classic albums and tracks from the '90s. I know others will argue vehemently against this, but I do think audiophile equipment benefits "natural" music to a much greater degree than electronic music, which is structurally simpler. (Puts on nuclear flameproof suit...)

May 25, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #16,199 of 22,443
While I still listen to plenty of EDM, I find myself listening to acoustic music because it really shows what my system is capable of. And hey, it never hurts to expand your horizons a little.

May 25, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #16,200 of 22,443
I used to listen to tons of EDM but today only occasionally, and usually just classic albums and tracks from the '90s. I know others will argue vehemently against this, but I do think audiophile equipment benefits "natural" music to a much greater degree than electronic music, which is structurally simpler. (Puts on nuclear flameproof suit...)
I’ve had mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I feel like complex metal songs with their blindingly fast drums, distorted guitars, loud bass and various singing/growling/screeching vocals is probably a great test for how good your system is. Listening to metal out of some cheap headphones and gear is definitely different than listening to it with TOTL headphones and gear.

However, with simpler songs, you get to focus on singular items in the soundstage. It’s easier to fully appreciate specific aspects (such as vocals and bass). When you have these simpler songs playing, it’s much easier to hear flaws in your equipment. With complex arrangements, some specific flaws can be overlooked because the other 75% of the sounds can drown the flaws out. With less complex songs, nothing is there to obfuscate the flaws. Everything has to be perfect. So, that “simple” song test is just as important as the “complex” song test.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back