The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #10,846 of 22,434
I have a feeling that it storage conditions in the shop or in the house may play a part in this.. Rubber can dry out and become "brittle".

I would think rubber becoming brittle over time is likely inevitable, just a matter of how fast.
The Abyss rubber band breaking is probably a combination of rubber quality (likely batch variations), storage conditions, stitching variations at the headband hole, combined with the fact the heavy Abyss is supported mostly by the headband/rubber due to the earpads needing to almost float for better bass. On top of all this, if Abyss spends significant amount of time hanging by the band on headphone stand, then things might happen. I just hope Abyss rubber band is covered under warranty.

P.S. I never received a reply/receipt when I filled out the extended warranty form when I bought the Abyss, and I never got a reply for confirmation when I emailed Abyss directly later, so this worries me.

P.S. 2. I attach mousepad cutouts with double-sided tape to Woo stand and hang all my headphones, including Abyss, by their strong frame, never the headband.

0428201133_HDR by drjlo2, on Flickr

May 15, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #10,847 of 22,434
I’ve been hanging my TCs from the band on my Woo Audio stand since I got them. No problems (yet...)

I live in humid a$$ Houston though, so maybe that’s why. They haven’t had a chance to get brittle...maybe:thinking:

May 15, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #10,849 of 22,434
A quick fix is Super Glue, cyanoacrylate. One drop, carefully butt ends together and hold still for about 30 seconds (don't glue your fingers:).
Give it an hour or so, suggest to turn the ring so the glued section is centered under the leather, and reinstall. You need to make sure the ends align perfectly while holding for max strength, only get one shot at it.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 15, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #10,850 of 22,434
Saw this in another forum. This for all of us that own this amp and TC combo. :)

Enter the Abyss TC planar magnetic headphone. This has the bass and creamy mids of the LCD4, but crucially the faster treble of the very best electrostatics, and the biggest soundstage I have ever heard on any headphone, even beyond the soundstage king - the Sennheiser HD800/820.

Here it is being powered off the back of the Moon 600i 125W integrated, which equates to about 12W at 33ohms for the Abyss impedance load. It sound marvellous.

slides-moon.jpg
My photo, my system. The Moon 600i works great on the Abyss, and is also a nice speaker amp. But the ultimate headphone AND speaker amp is the Aries Cerat Genus SET 25W tube amp. No contest. I am doing a super deal on the Genus at the moment, and sale or return if your socks are not blown off. PM me for details....

May 16, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #10,851 of 22,434
I started this wild ride buying a used pair of OGs. It came with two headbands. The top one is slightly physically smaller length-wise and the O rings are thinner. I can't move these O rings within the slot, they're sewed in tight. The bottom one has much thicker O rings which I can slide through the slot. These both came with the same OG headphone, so I don't know what to make of it, other than the headbands are definitely different. Obviously the thicker O rings instill greater confidence. I believe I watched a video review of the Phis which mentioned one could order the headband in different sizes at the time? Like S/M/L? But I don't think that is the case now. FWIW

IMG_20200515_203058.jpg

May 16, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #10,852 of 22,434
I started this wild ride buying a used pair of OGs. It came with two headbands. The top one is slightly physically smaller length-wise and the O rings are thinner. I can't move these O rings within the slot, they're sewed in tight. The bottom one has much thicker O rings which I can slide through the slot. These both came with the same OG headphone, so I don't know what to make of it, other than the headbands are definitely different. Obviously the thicker O rings instill greater confidence. I believe I watched a video review of the Phis which mentioned one could order the headband in different sizes at the time? Like S/M/L? But I don't think that is the case now. FWIW

IMG_20200515_203058.jpg

Interesting. Mine is similar to the top - the more fragile - one. Bought mine August last year.

May 16, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #10,853 of 22,434
The thing with the O rings for me, is that due to the design where half the O ring is stretched up and through the U shaped piece, the entire weight of the headphone is hanging by the other half of the O ring -- the part extending from the U piece through the headband. I think it's a sheer weight/physics issue.

May 16, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #10,855 of 22,434
I always put foam pad between the frame and the head band when hanging the TC by the band on Woo Audio headphone stand.

May 17, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #10,858 of 22,434
So for those that have experienced broken O rings where has the break occurred? Just wondering if periodically rotating the ring so that it spreads the wear would prolong its life.

May 18, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #10,859 of 22,434
So for those that have experienced broken O rings where has the break occurred? Just wondering if periodically rotating the ring so that it spreads the wear would prolong its life.

Mine snapped at the point where the rubber band hangs onto the "stand" of both sides. I guess it's the constant movement of the headband while it's hanging on my head that broke it.

For those of you who are having the same problem with the headband, if it's still under warranty, I suggest you contact Abyss right away. Sometimes all you need to do is just ask.😉

Thanks @Abyss Headphones for taking good care of your customers as always. Absolutely fantastic!

May 19, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #10,860 of 22,434
I still suspect there is a batch of bad band.
Dont think so , its just a bad design , mine is OG and the O ring snapped also , because of age or dry condition ,
i would never pay 250$ for a peace of rubber so i did a home fix , ugly but it works :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back