The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #10,051 of 22,434
I found the difference subtle when I upgraded. But worthwhile for sure. But at this level incremental improvements are hard to come by. And costly. But I'm happy with my decision to upgrade.

Jan 21, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #10,052 of 22,434
I am very pleased to say that I have decided to upgrade from...

to...

And the results are glorious!

I am happy that you are loving them. They only get better with time.

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #10,053 of 22,434
I wasn’t aware of this, but initially Joe was considering giving users the options of changing the backing of the abyss with different materials.
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/rmaf2012/rmaf2012_abyss.htm
It goes on to say “One interesting feature of the AB-1266 is the 'phones' interchangeable driver covers. Abyss will offer an array of replacements in different kinds of wood, giving owners the ability to tailor the sound of their 'phones, not to mention their looks.”
upload_2020-1-22_9-48-19.jpeg

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #10,054 of 22,434
I've recently made a couple upgrade to my main rig:

Added:
PS Audio Power Plant 3 (This made things cleaner, smoother, authoratative)
JPS Labs Superconductor 4 XLR Interconnects (This brought out more micro details and instrument seperation.)

Also,

I just rolled in the KR Audio tubes into my WA33 EE and putting them through the paces. One word, WOW!
Cant wait to hear what these monsters do once burnt in.

I've mainly been running the following: Quad NOS RCA 2A3, and Brimar NOS 274B with the EH Gold tubes.
Currently dialed in the KR HP 2A3 Quad and KR HP 274B (with the EH Gold drivers).

Also have the following 274B Rectifier Tubes : Takasuki, WE NOS.

More impressions of the KR Stuff in a couple weeks once they've had some time to burn in.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #10,055 of 22,434
More impressions of the KR Stuff in a couple weeks once they've had some time to burn in.
Looking forward to your impressions of the KR tubes. I've yet to try anything other than the stock tubes (which made me purchase the WA33)
and the EML (solid plate) 2A3's, EHX 6C45Pi's and UE 596 so I'm most probably going to buy some new power tubes in the near future just for a change.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #10,056 of 22,434
Looking forward to your impressions of the KR tubes. I've yet to try anything other than the stock tubes (which made me purchase the WA33)
and the EML (solid plate) 2A3's, EHX 6C45Pi's and UE 596 so I'm most probably going to buy some new power tubes in the near future just for a change.

What did you think of the eml/eh/ue compared to stock?

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #10,057 of 22,434
What did you think of the eml/eh/ue compared to stock?

To be quite honest, I'd have to go back to the stock tubes and let them burn in sufficiently in order to give a fair assessment between their differences. For the most part, I immediately purchased the EML's, 6C45Pi's and already had the UE596 and they've been in my amp pretty much since it arrived, if not as soon as it arrived.

Now that they're sufficiently burned it would be easy for me to do a comparison to other tubes, but again, as long as they're burned in also. Maybe I'll throw in my stock tubes and burn them in being I do feel I could use a little change. I do know you didn't care for the stock tubes, but as I mentioned, they are what made me purchase the WA33, so I can't say I didn't like the way they sounded.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #10,058 of 22,434
To be quite honest, I'd have to go back to the stock tubes and let them burn in sufficiently in order to give a fair assessment between their differences. For the most part, I immediately purchased the EML's, 6C45Pi's and already had the UE596 and they've been in my amp pretty much since it arrived, if not as soon as it arrived.

Now that they're sufficiently burned it would be easy for me to do a comparison to other tubes, but again, as long as they're burned in also. Maybe I'll throw in my stock tubes and burn them in being I do feel I could use a little change. I do know you didn't care for the stock tubes, but as I mentioned, they are what made me purchase the WA33, so I can't say I didn't like the way they sounded.
Well evrything is relative, I used stock tubes for about 6 months, and loved them. The amp sounded great. Until I heard better tubes :D

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #10,059 of 22,434
I had the KR Coke Bottle 300B tubes and they were the best 300B tubes I’ve heard. Absolutely killer bass and slam.

I have also been kicking around the idea of the PS Audio Power Plant or similar. I just got done running two 10 gauge cryogenic Romex to my panel on separate breakers. One for digital and one for analog. Man what a PITA working with 10 gauge.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #10,060 of 22,434
Im running my phi cc with Musical Paradise mp-d2, audio gd master 9 with Audio Art interconnects and Silverfi hp4 signature cables. I wanted to write a review of the silverfi cables, but realized i have dont have the stock cable to compare them to. If anyone wants to come over to try my stuff and can bring stock cables please let me know :) I live in LA.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #10,061 of 22,434
My Almarro A205 II EL84 single-ended pentode amp was custom ordered with 4-pin XLR output for my old AKG K1000. I just tried it with Abyss 1266 Phi TC, and the combo sounds UNbelievably good. The amp has been modded with the awesome Jupiter copper foil caps and carefully fitted with nice tubes, etc, and the combo just Rocks out with super-natural dynamics and bass power/definition.

0122201915 by drjlo2, on Flickr

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #10,062 of 22,434
My Almarro A205 II EL84 single-ended pentode amp was custom ordered with 4-pin XLR output for my old AKG K1000. I just tried it with Abyss 1266 Phi TC, and the combo sounds UNbelievably good. The amp has been modded with the awesome Jupiter copper foil caps and carefully fitted with nice tubes, etc, and the combo just Rocks out with super-natural dynamics and bass power/definition.

That's awesome! What's the output? I think tubes and the 1266 (as long as you have enough power) are made for each other. The Abyss benefits from a quality tube amp. I use an EL-84 based amp as well. I didn't think it would have what it takes to power them, let alone actually sound good, but it friggin sounds fantastic. Huge soundstage and dimensionality; incredibly musical

Jan 23, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #10,064 of 22,434
Hi Guys
I have owned many high end phones, a more recently the TC.Also more recently I became a dealer.
I finally got my headphone dealer / demo centre going in Spain. Anyone in this area want a demo, just contact me. And hooked up to the Aries Cerat Genus amplifier.... wow amazing.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #10,065 of 22,434
No, not possible, Audeze is 4 pin mini xlr, abyss is 3 pin mini... A 4 pin female will insert into the Abyss but it will short stuff out due to the difference in wiring. I would not advise. A 3 pin mini will not however insert into the Audeze headphones.
For reference on the Audeze, pin 1&2 are hot and 3&4 being cold. For the abyss, pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is hot and pin 3 is cold. From memory. So inserting the Audeze cable into the abyss will short the signal to ground, your amp will not like this.
Please note the pin outs may not be exact and are from memory. I did however meter the cables out using my multimeter (Fluke 117) and recall that it would short the amp out.
Peter does however make short adaptors that can be used at a reasonable price.

Sorry to dig up this old post, but I believe the quoted statement about how Audeze 4 pin mini XLR (female) cable plugged into Abyss (3 pin mini XLR male) will short the Abyss may be wrong?

After some googling, I found these pinouts re Audeze and Abyss.
audezeWiring.png

AbyssPinout by drjlo2, on Flickr

So on both Audeze and Abyss mini XLR, pin 1 will be hot and pin 3 cold. Pin 2 is not connected on Abyss and pin 4 on Audeze is hot but will not connect to Abyss which has no pin 4.
I also found some old posts where people said it works to plug Audeze cable into Abyss, that pins line up fine (no pin 4 obviously), just the outer housing is tight-fit.
https://www.changstar.com/www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,1061.130.html

I just bought an Audeze cable to try on my Abyss, so anyone else tried this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back