The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:19 AM Post #9,422 of 22,431
I don't see your point. If you don't think the TC is worth it, why would you buy it in the first place?

I don't think a lot of things are worth what the asking price is but I still own them. Cars, houses, some foods.

But don't worry price corrections are on their way. Heck some of these companies may not even exist in a couple of years.

I'll also say this I didn't pay asking price either. I bargained for months before I bought it and got some major price reductions before I bought it. Mark up on these items is about 30% or more depending. So do the math. Dealer cost is about 3850. I'm certain that the majority of you that bought new paid close to full price. Since the majority of you believe its worth it.

Also these headphones are not perfect. They do have some distortion at certain levels. Like many headphones do. Now this is the TC so here's a review on the earlier version which didn't bode well for Abyss. Perhaps they improved these flaws but I don't really see it...

Stop being fan boys and come to terms that its overpriced period. If your willing to pay fine then you paid for an overpriced item that you believe is worth it. You may think in terms of justification eg.. they sound amazing; better than a full speaker setup and brainwash yourselves but its overpriced. Don't believe me if some of you are still on here in 1.5 years let's chat then. Many of these companies will be forced to reduce prices.

Even with the discounts I got which I'm sure the majority of you didn't I still think I its overpriced.

Open your eyes people......

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #9,423 of 22,431
I don't think a lot of things are worth what the asking price is but I still own them. Cars, houses, some foods.

But don't worry price corrections are on their way. Heck some of these companies may not even exist in a couple of years.

I'll also say this I didn't pay asking price either. I bargained for months before I bought it and got some major price reductions before I bought it. Mark up on these items is about 30% or more depending. So do the math. Dealer cost is about 3850. I'm certain that the majority of you that bought new paid close to full price. Since the majority of you believe its worth it.
Why are you doing this?

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #9,424 of 22,431
Why are you doing this?

For an even playing field and to bring some accountability to vendors that know the prices they are charging now, won't be what they charge later... I don't want to make anyone feel bad about the purchase if they bought now as when you buy something for this price its more of an emotional purchase than a logical one. But I don't like greedy vendors or people for that matter.

I own a pair so... yes I believe its good; but saying its the best ever, or best in the world ... lol.... I'm listening to them now as I type this so .... I like them but let's have a real conversation about what things really are.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #9,425 of 22,431
There is more than one company that makes it and your source is incorrect and I guess Nordost are a bunch of liars to then... I'm just amazed at things people believe without doing the research themselves
Nordost? Even their 6-figure flagship cables use silver plated copper?

I'm going to throw your own logic back at you: You see, myself, I have cables impregnated with the tears of Satan. I have a mate who is a certified witch and can descend into hell at his will, torture satan, collect his tears, and return to the realm of the living - where he makes cables for audiophiles. Have you heard a cable impregnated with the tears of Satan? No? Well then your opinion is invalid. And I believe my mate because he grew up in a family of witches and he is a pretty intimidating looking guy, so he would be able to make old Beelzebub weep for sure. And if you don't believe me, you should check your facts. They are equivalent to infinity N silver...

And debating perception of value is sooo first 500 pages of this thread.
Yes, we also realise business have to run at a profit and there is a supply chain. Jeeeeeeeeez mate, time to move on.
Wait, why can I feel a thread clean-up looming...

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #9,426 of 22,431
Nordost? Even their 6-figure flagship cables use silver plated copper?

I'm going to throw your own logic back at you: You see, myself, I have cables impregnated with the tears of Satan. I have a mate who is a certified witch and can descend into hell at his will, torture satan, collect his tears, and return to the realm of the living - where he makes cables for audiophiles. Have you heard a cable impregnated with the tears of Satan? No? Well then your opinion is invalid. And I believe my mate because he grew up in a family of witches and he is a pretty intimidating looking guy, so he would be able to make old Beelzebub weep for sure. And if you don't believe me, you should check your facts. They are equivalent to infinity N silver...

And debating perception of value is sooo first 500 pages of this thread
Yes, we also realise business have to run at a profit and there is a supply chain. Jeeeeeeeeez mate, time to move on.
Wait, why can I feel a thread clean-up looming...

I didn't say the Nordost cable was pure silver its not

Material: Silver-plated 99.999999% solid core OFC copper with how many 9's ? which some say doesn't exist.

So you get one with it mate and do some research before consulting with witches and Satan.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #9,427 of 22,431
For an even playing field and to bring some accountability to vendors that know the prices they are charging now, won't be what they charge later... I don't want to make anyone feel bad about the purchase if they bought now as when you buy something for this price its more of an emotional purchase than a logical one. But I don't like greedy vendors or people for that matter.

I own a pair so... yes I believe its good; but saying its the best ever, or best in the world ... lol.... I'm listening to them now as I type this so .... I like them but let's have a real conversation about what things really are.
I see... But why are you having the doom and gloom conversation here? Most people who post on this forum are thrilled with their Abyss purchase. New, used, full price, or at a discount... Regardless, most are here to share their joy of listening to this world-class headphone with others... I know am!

Looking to change the world... Serve it.

Don't worry about the vendors... Let capitalism do it's job... Enjoy the music.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #9,428 of 22,431
I see... But why are you having the doom and gloom conversation here? Most people who post on this forum are thrilled with their Abyss purchase. New, used, full price, or at a discount... Regardless, most are here to share their joy of listening to this world-class headphone with others... I know am!

Looking to change the world... Serve it.
me
Don't worry about the vendors... Let capitalism do it's job... Enjoy the music.

That's the issue... right now we don't have capitalism. One thing is for certain price corrections.
Agreed... I'll stop with the negativity; but both sides of the coin are needed sometimes.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #9,429 of 22,431
I didn't say the Nordost cable was pure silver its not

Material: Silver-plated 99.999999% solid core OFC copper with how many 9's ? which some say doesn't exist.

So you get one with it mate and do some research before consulting with witches and Satan.

Copper up to 9N it said. Read again.
Silver up to 6

I gotta agree with Litlgi74, why are you here? You bought an Abyss, you think it's good but not worth the RRP, but you also think many things are not worth the RRP - including houses, cars food etc.
So you've shared your perception of value and declared that everyone who doesn't agree with you needs to wake up. Will that be all then?

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #9,430 of 22,431
Copper up to 9N it said. Read again.
Silver up to 6

I gotta agree with Litlgi74, why are you here? You bought an Abyss, you think it's good but not worth the RRP, but you also think many things are not worth the RRP - including houses, cars food etc.
So you've shared your perception of value and declared that everyone who doesn't agree with you needs to wake up. Will that be all then?

I know what is says I posted it. Do not speak for me as I haven't hired you as a spokesperson. I haven't said people can't disagree with me. As for 7N silver direct from the vendor which some say doesn't exist. I've also spoken with Mike from Nordost directly about why they don't use 7N silver. Expense was the main reason. Not the it doesn't exist. I own Valhalla 2 cables a number of them.

This USB cable uses 99.99998% (7N) Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) silver signal conductors. Power is also supplied by 99.99998% (7N) Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) silver conductors.

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #9,431 of 22,431
I'm looking for some good music to listen with the 1266.

Can u guys share your favourite 5 tracks (on Tidal)?

Mine are, in no particular order:
1. Evergreen by Yebba
2. Time by Audrey
3. First Time by Grey, Robinson
4. Jazz Variants by O-zone Percussion Group (love the drums on these)
5. If I Can't Have You by Sara Bereilles (love the bass guitar)

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #9,432 of 22,431
Value is like beauty very subjective. It is up to everyone to decide for themselves if cables or headphones or whatever is worth getting or not. The cost of all TOTL headphones are indeed very high and only a limited amount of people are actually prepared to spend that kind of money, still enough does and we have more high end headphones than ever before.

TBH I was not very impressed with the older Abyss. I thought them to be very good in many ways, but had major problem with their tonality and recessed mids. I haven’t heard the TC yet, however from the many impressions I have read it seems like the TC has improved greatly in those areas. I’m eager to hear the TC for myself so I can see if the “improvements” from the older Abyss is fixing the issues I had with them in the past. No matter if the TC will sound exactly as I would like them to or not, if people like and trust Abyss so much to pay the asking price the TC are worth it for them.

Remember that no headphone, DAC or amp is perfect so it ultimately comes down to selecting the gear that have the least imperfections in one’s opinion, aka pick your poison.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #9,433 of 22,431
I'm looking for some good music to listen with the 1266.

Can u guys share your favourite 5 tracks (on Tidal)?

Mine are, in no particular order:
1. Evergreen by Yebba
2. Time by Audrey
3. First Time by Grey, Robinson
4. Jazz Variants by O-zone Percussion Group (love the drums on these)
5. If I Can't Have You by Sara Bereilles (love the bass guitar)
A welcome diversion...

https://tidal.com/playlist/9ac0de6b-2309-4d68-9629-dae90814cfb5

In no particular order... these tracks get a lot of playtime from me. I mostly love what's going on in the ambient.

The Revenant Main Theme... Ryuichi Sakamoto
Nocturnal... Vacant
Who We Want To Be... Tom Day
Ghost Pong... Emancipator
I Came Running... Ancient Astronauts

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #9,434 of 22,431
I listened to the TC's at the Singapore Meet . It is V Good .. Highs soar and the Mids are more expressive .. This was compared to a Phi/cc on a Woo WA33 using the Superconductor cable. I found the TC superior sounding but did not commit! Finally found a top condition phi/cc for 45% savings.
I thought the TC sounded like a super improved version of my Senn HD800 with real bass.. I think my Phi/cc filled that gap for a smooth sounding HP with sound stage widtg and depth to die for
So far happy with the Phi/Cc with a danacable lazuli reference!
Heard tge SR1a at the same meet. Great sounding but way too bright for my tastes.. At the end of the day my HP collection or selection calls for a mix of sound signatures.. There us No perfect HP made yet IMHO

Dec 4, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #9,435 of 22,431
A welcome diversion...

https://tidal.com/playlist/9ac0de6b-2309-4d68-9629-dae90814cfb5

In no particular order... these tracks get a lot of playtime from me. I mostly love what's going on in the ambient.

The Revenant Main Theme... Ryuichi Sakamoto
Nocturnal... Vacant
Who We Want To Be... Tom Day
Ghost Pong... Emancipator
I Came Running... Ancient Astronauts

Thanks! I'm going to add these songs to a new playlist. Will have a listen later today. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back