The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #9,406 of 22,434
Still maybe not. My speakers are 7 times what the Abyss costs and despite very good bass, it’s not as good as Abyss. A main factor working against speakers is your room. It’s the most important piece of equipment in a system. If you spend the money and time, you can optimize it. Sometimes you can’t. Bass is a tricky thing due to the length and amplitude of the sound waves.

To get really good bass you need to have a sizable room. If memory serves me the wave length for 40hz is 28ft. What speakers do you have at home. I know some one who has a pair of Magico M3 and they say that the abyss is on the same level of resolution. I love my Magico S1MKII. They are a 2way floorstander so I do want to add a pair of subs. To me there is just something about the simplicity of a 2 way they seem more coherent.

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #9,407 of 22,434
If you do end up adding the subs, get a tripod, SPL meter, and a test tone disk. It’s time consuming, but play the test tones from 10hz to
120hz and look at SPL meter and move the subwoofers accordingly to get the same levels in each position.

My main hobby is home theater and so tried to optimize 80hz.

You are right that two subs are better than one. It makes it smoother and also can cancel out standing waves.

With good subs and integration, it will be seamless with your speakers.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #9,408 of 22,434
To get really good bass you need to have a sizable room. If memory serves me the wave length for 40hz is 28ft. What speakers do you have at home. I know some one who has a pair of Magico M3 and they say that the abyss is on the same level of resolution. I love my Magico S1MKII. They are a 2way floorstander so I do want to add a pair of subs. To me there is just something about the simplicity of a 2 way they seem more coherent.

I'm with you on that. I have the S1's and an old pair of Merlin VSM's (which I love!). To do two channel right you really need 2 subs (one per speaker). I run 2 JL Audio Fathoms, excellent subs that integrate well.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Dec 3, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #9,409 of 22,434
I don't believe him

A. I already use the cable on my he1000's and its amazing
B. The guy I buy from has a PHD in metallurgy and his father has ties with Japan and the man who created 7n copper cables crystal copper upocc

I'm confident about my knowledge about cables and have tried many and know what I hear.

Have you ever tried 7n silver cables?

I have not tried one no, because apparently they don't exist. They do on alibaba though... :thinking:
The link I posted (which I assumed you didn't read), says that the company which can provide the world's only sample of 9N copper (which costs much more than gold), will only make small quantities of 6n silver for the scientific community. At 6N, there is about 999,999.9 parts per million silver.
So I simply don't believe you have a 7n silver cable. It would have had to cost you millions of dollars and whoever made it would have to have access to equipment that no one else in the world has.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #9,412 of 22,434
I agree that if you look at the abyss compared to speakers in regards to sound quality they are a "value". My speakers cost 4x what the abyss does and they still don't do everything as well as the abyss (until I add 2 subs). To get everything the abyss offers you are looking at spending at least 35-40k. You can get close to the abyss for around $10k but for that last 10% you are going to pay a lot.

Thing is they are not speakers... they are headphones. I just don't see them justifying the current costs... someone needs to have several houses from the looks of it

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #9,413 of 22,434
I have not tried one no, because apparently they don't exist. They do on alibaba though... :thinking:
The link I posted (which I assumed you didn't read), says that the company which can provide the world's only sample of 9N copper (which costs much more than gold), will only make small quantities of 6n silver for the scientific community. At 6N, there is about 999,999.9 parts per million silver.
So I simply don't believe you have a 7n silver cable. It would have had to cost you millions of dollars and whoever made it would have to have access to equipment that no one else in the world has.

There is more than one company that makes it and your source is incorrect and I guess Nordost are a bunch of liars to then... I'm just amazed at things people believe without doing the research themselves

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #9,416 of 22,434
Thing is they are not speakers... they are headphones. I just don't see them justifying the current costs... someone needs to have several houses from the looks of it

Not comparing them as equals. There is no substitute for a great two channel setup. The abyss provide incredible sound for the price compared to a comparably price speaker system. IMO the abyss is the best sounding headphone available today.

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #9,417 of 22,434
Not comparing them as equals. There is no substitute for a great two channel setup. The abyss provide incredible sound for the price compared to a comparably price speaker system. IMO the abyss is the best sounding headphone available today.

I'd say its a good one of the better ones .. as I posted before overall balanced. There are other headphones that do things better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back