The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #9,391 of 22,432
Well the TC is also overpriced... it is no headphone is worth 5K .... and its not hard to evaluate what is overpriced... its just if some people are willing to pay it... and there are better cables around for the price of that one

to you they are overpriced but to those who own them they certainly are not...as one who also owns a high end speaker system I find the TC and other TOTL HP's to be bargains....

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #9,393 of 22,432
Too expensive, bargain, not sure why this is even debated anymore. There will never be a consensus because everyone is coming from different tax brackets, values and mindsets. $5k is a lot for headphones, no doubt. If you look around the field, very very few headphones are priced at that level. In that context, they are expensive. However, they are also amazing headphones that do things other headphones don't. Thus, one could argue you get what you pay for. The market ultimately judges what is a fair price or not. It nobody thought they got their money's worth on some level, they wouldn't be selling for that much.

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #9,394 of 22,432
bingo, exactly right...I always laugh when people suggest a product is not worth what it costs....well again that is to them not to the people who own and enjoy it....is an expensive bottle of wine worth what it sells for?...well not to me but it is to those who love wine...is a 100K car worth what it costs?...an expensive meal?...a good steak...it is all relative

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #9,398 of 22,432
If you believe the Peter from Double Helix Cables, If someone is selling you 7N silver cable, they are ripping you off.
Scroll about half way down:
https://doublehelixcables.com/faq/

I don't believe him

A. I already use the cable on my he1000's and its amazing
B. The guy I buy from has a PHD in metallurgy and his father has ties with Japan and the man who created 7n copper cables crystal copper upocc

I'm confident about my knowledge about cables and have tried many and know what I hear.

Have you ever tried 7n silver cables?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #9,399 of 22,432
I've heard that argument before and don't buy it. Greed is greed. However the question is are people willing to pay your outlandish price and some are. However I will say that will change in the coming years. I do like your honesty though... and that's the crux... if your willing to pay ... then its worth it to you.

I agree that if you look at the abyss compared to speakers in regards to sound quality they are a "value". My speakers cost 4x what the abyss does and they still don't do everything as well as the abyss (until I add 2 subs). To get everything the abyss offers you are looking at spending at least 35-40k. You can get close to the abyss for around $10k but for that last 10% you are going to pay a lot.

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #9,400 of 22,432
I agree that if you look at the abyss compared to speakers in regards to sound quality they are a "value". My speakers cost 4x what the abyss does and they still don't do everything as well as the abyss (until I add 2 subs). To get everything the abyss offers you are looking at spending at least 35-40k. You can get close to the abyss for around $10k but for that last 10% you are going to pay a lot.
what amp are you sing for the abyss ? is it directly from Hugo TT2 or Monolith Liquid Platinum ?

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #9,401 of 22,432
what amp are you sing for the abyss ? is it directly from Hugo TT2 or Monolith Liquid Platinum ?

Currently I am using it direct out of the TT2. I used to use it with a metrum onyx and the liquid platinum and it sounded very good. The TT2 is just much more transparent. I have also tried them with an Auris Nirvana and out of a Wells Headtrip lvl2. The headtrip was incredible but there is no way that I would pay $15k for anything with build quality like that.

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #9,402 of 22,432
Currently I am using it direct out of the TT2. I used to use it with a metrum onyx and the liquid platinum and it sounded very good. The TT2 is just much more transparent. I have also tried them with an Auris Nirvana and out of a Wells Headtrip lvl2. The headtrip was incredible but there is no way that I would pay $15k for anything with build quality like that.
So you are using it with XLR and 6,3mm adaptor ? is the sound ok and powerful ?
I have the TT2 and considering The TC .

Dec 3, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #9,403 of 22,432
So you are using it with XLR and 6,3mm adaptor ? is the sound ok and powerful ?
I have the TT2 and considering The TC .

I use the 6.3mm adapter out of the front hp outputs. They sound great that way. Of course you can add an amp and it will add some different flavor to the sound. I also really liked them with the auris but you loose some of the transparency of the TT2 that way.

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #9,405 of 22,432
Do you already have the TC?[/QUOT woul

Still maybe not. My speakers are 7 times what the Abyss costs and despite very good bass, it’s not as good as Abyss. A main factor working against speakers is your room. It’s the most important piece of equipment in a system. If you spend the money and time, you can optimize it. Sometimes you can’t. Bass is a tricky thing due to the length and amplitude of the sound waves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back