The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #9,377 of 22,432
Not for me my setup is pretty much maxed out... Again silver is a better conductor... 7.

So's water. Just because it is a better conductor doesn't make it sound better. Also if it was just the metal, then everyones cables using the same metal would sound the same. It's the way it is constructed, the jacket, and many other factors.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #9,378 of 22,432
Most people using summit-fi level gear take meticulous care of their equipment...

If you really think retail price is absurd... Buy used... and save thousands, and thousands, and thousands of dollars.

I was able to buy most of my gear at $0.20 on the retail dollar... All of it is in like new, to mint condition and still has the remainder of it's factory warranty.

I am very grateful for those with the upgrade disease. :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #9,379 of 22,432
Not for me my setup is pretty much maxed out... Again silver is a better conductor... 7N silver not cheap stuff some manufacturers use... the real stuff which is not easy to come by. That cable like I said earlier will improve everything and will be better than the "super conductor" which is silver plated copper I believe...
I think it’s a proprietary blend of something mixed with aluminum. They call it Alumiloy. Not a lot of info on it.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #9,381 of 22,432
Not for me my setup is pretty much maxed out... Again silver is a better conductor... 7N silver not cheap stuff some manufacturers use... the real stuff which is not easy to come by. That cable like I said earlier will improve everything and will be better than the "super conductor" which is silver plated copper I believe... I have experience already with the he1000's where I have that cable...

What do you have in your system currently? The JPS cables are made with Alumiloy an alloy made by JPS. I use transparent for cables in the rest of my system.

PS there is always room for an upgrade.:jecklinsmile:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #9,384 of 22,432
I don’t think the TCs are overpriced. To cite Steve Guttenberg (sp?), an equivalent speaker system would cost a lot more than $5K.

Are Utopias worth $4K? Probably. Are Susvaras worth $6K. Nah, but I like them.

I guess in a different world, no headphones should cost more than $2K. But these are speciality musical equipment. They’re made in smaller batches, sometimes by hand.

I used to do medical research for a couple of pharmaceutical companies. It takes millions and millions of dollars in R&D and testing to make that first pill. You have to recoup your up front investments, and that’s why some meds cost so much.

I think these speciality headphones are like that at a lesser scale

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #9,385 of 22,432
I don’t think the TCs are overpriced. To cite Steve Guttenberg (sp?), an equivalent speaker system would cost a lot more than $5K.

Are Utopias worth $4K? Probably. Are Susvaras worth $6K. Nah, but I like them.

I guess in a different world, no headphones should cost more than $2K. But these are speciality musical equipment. They’re made in smaller batches, sometimes by hand.

I used to do medical research for a couple of pharmaceutical companies. It takes millions and millions of dollars in R&D and testing to make that first pill. You have to recoup your up front investments, and that’s why some meds cost so much.

I think these speciality headphones are like that at a lesser scale

I've heard that argument before and don't buy it. Greed is greed. However the question is are people willing to pay your outlandish price and some are. However I will say that will change in the coming years. I do like your honesty though... and that's the crux... if your willing to pay ... then its worth it to you.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #9,386 of 22,432
I've heard that argument before and don't buy it. Greed is greed. However the question is are people willing to pay your outlandish price and some are. However I will say that will change in the coming years. I do like your honesty though... and that's the crux... if your willing to pay ... then its worth it to you.

That will never change unless Bernie and Elizabeth takes everyones money.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #9,387 of 22,432
That will never change unless Bernie and Elizabeth takes everyones money.

They won't need to the Federal Reserve has made sure your future is sealed.... but don't want to stray off topic... so again I'll say again people are not going to be buying overpriced headphones in the coming years far more concerned about food on the plate.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #9,388 of 22,432

Some folks find the hd650 at $450 retail to be extremely overpriced. And there are thsoe than find 1.5m for a car, or watch, perfectly fine lol.

Everything is relative.

But keep in mind that R&D cost, and having to invest engineers and man hours over years to produce a product needs to be ultimately recouped.

The good thing is, you can choose to buy "expensive" headphones or not :)

Everyone would like products to be as cheap as possible, if i can get an abyss for 500$ brand new I ain't gonna say no lol. But each person has to decide if a product is worth the price to them.

And comparing the price to similar performing products also a good way to gauge if something is too expensive or not.

For e.g. Is the susvara worth a whole $1000 more than the abyss, to my ear no, as I'd take the abyss over those, though the susvara is right up there as well. Is the abyss worth $5k? Well to my ears I've heard nothing like it, and if I want that sound, and that's the price, and i can afford it, why not.

It's a highly subjective and relative argument and each person is going to have to ultimate decide for themselves. Much like the discussion of which dac or amp sounds "the best", all relative.

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #9,389 of 22,432
Some folks find the hd650 at $450 retail to be extremely overpriced. And there are thsoe than find 1.5m for a car, or watch, perfectly fine lol.

Everything is relative.

But keep in mind that R&D cost, and having to invest engineers and man hours over years to produce a product needs to be ultimately recouped.

The good thing is, you can choose to buy "expensive" headphones or not :)

Everyone would like products to be as cheap as possible, if i can get an abyss for 500$ brand new I ain't gonna say no lol. But each person has to decide if a product is worth the price to them.

And comparing the price to similar performing products also a good way to gauge if something is too expensive or not.

For e.g. Is the susvara worth a whole $1000 more than the abyss, to my ear no, as I'd take the abyss over those, though the susvara is right up there as well. Is the abyss worth $5k? Well to my ears I've heard nothing like it, and if I want that sound, and that's the price, and i can afford it, why not.

It's a highly subjective and relative argument and each person is going to have to ultimate decide for themselves. Much like the discussion of which dac or amp sounds "the best", all relative.

Agreed......... in the coming years expensive headphones will not be a priority. Some of us on here are quite privileged to be spending this kind of money on non essentials.
This will change....

Dec 2, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #9,390 of 22,432

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    688 bytes · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back