The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #8,117 of 22,434
What I find interesting with the stock cable is that they provide the best bass slam out of all the cables I've tried, but the conductors are also the thinnest. If you gently unscrew the mini 4 pin XLR connector you can see the conductors inside, and from the looks of it it seems to be around 23 gauge. For a conductor this thin they sure pack a punch.

I've learnt from a top cable maker that not so long ago, AWG26 was the standard as it is a sweet spot for awg vs sound vs amplification (the thicker the wire awg the more power is needed to push signal).

Apr 21, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #8,118 of 22,434
Approaching one month and 200hr with the Abyss TC, I have found that among its numerous strengths, piano reproduction is really outstanding, and this is good news to me as piano (mainly classical) is a big chunk of my listening.

While rendering the whole experience of live listening to piano is NOT yet within reach of any headphone rig (at least, none I have tried), the TC comes close as strong dynamic contrasts are presented very effortlessly and both the left and right ends of the keyboard are glorious, with a very rich yet well controlled bass and luminous, liquid treble.

Attack and decay are quite believable and the resonance and harmonic richness of a grand piano, together with ambience effects from the concert hall are delivered in a very satisfying fashion.

The Superconductor HP cable pairs especially well with this instrument, adding some further body to the mid-bass and smoothness to the midrange / lower treble.

cables2.jpeg

Compared to the Abyss Phi, the resolution of very complex passages is significantly improved to my ears, and harmonies and musical phrasing are more straightforward to follow.

Also, with my previous Phi there were some sporadic ringing issues that are completely disappeared with the TC.

All types of piano music are emotionally involving through them, and today I decided to treat myself with an all-piano program made of exceptional performances from some great artists to whom I will never be grateful enough.

rach.jpg
jarrett.jpg
evans.jpg
shiff.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #8,119 of 22,434
Approaching one month and 200hr with the Abyss TC, I have found that among its numerous strengths, piano reproduction is really outstanding, and this is good news to me as piano (mainly classical) is a big chunk of my listening.

While rendering the whole experience of live listening to piano is NOT yet within reach of any headphone rig (at least, none I have tried), the TC comes close as strong dynamic contrasts are presented very effortlessly and both the left and right ends of the keyboard are glorious, with a very rich yet well controlled bass and luminous, liquid treble.

Attack and decay are quite believable and the resonance and harmonic richness of a grand piano, together with ambience effects from the concert hall are delivered in a very satisfying fashion.

The Superconductor HP cable pairs especially well with this instrument, adding some further body to the mid-bass and smoothness to the midrange / lower treble.

Compared to the Abyss Phi, the resolution of very complex passages is significantly improved to my ears, and harmonies and musical phrasing are more straightforward to follow.

Also, with my previous Phi there were some sporadic ringing issues that are completely disappeared with the TC.

All types of piano music is emotionally involving through them, and today I decided to treat myself and celebrate Easter with an all-piano program made of exceptional performances from some great artists to whom I will never be grateful enough.

Different hears, different sensations. I think the Abyss TC is one of the best on electronic musics, if not the best, and is in trouble (for TOTL) with acoustic ones, specially the piano. It's a bit dull, and harmonics are almost inaudible above the third one. It is very good, but so far than live listening and even more from playing. That being said, I wasn't in the concert halls when the recordings were made so I can't give my opinion on ambience effets and I can't understand why live listening should sound better than studio ones. More emotional, most of the times, but better sound, don't agree.

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #8,121 of 22,434
I’m using 1266OG with THX789, I feel it is better than many $2000+ amps. Clear and the bass is controlled very well

I use a Audio gd NFB27h and it sounds wonderful, tight bass with extremely black background giving you the illusion of instruments floating in thin air with the centre soundstage extending from floor to roof.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #8,123 of 22,434
Hi there,

I might be interested in purchasing the jps lab 1266 abyss phi.

The objective is to step up from my Mrspeakers Ether Flow C.
For now, they work very well my Bakoon HPA-21 amplifier; but I want more.

Has anyone tried the bakoon amplifier on current mode with the abyss?
Is there enough juice?

Thanks.

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #8,124 of 22,434
I've learnt from a top cable maker that not so long ago, AWG26 was the standard as it is a sweet spot for awg vs sound vs amplification (the thicker the wire awg the more power is needed to push signal).
The thicker the wire, the lower the resistance
I think thinner cable might be used because headphones usually draw milliwatts and with a current that low, it doesn't really matter if the cable is thin

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #8,126 of 22,434
This is why AWG26 was the standard as the sweet post for awg vs sound vs amplification.

That and the need for lighness, flexible and weight. Speaker cables are not that problematic on those 3 points. Though my DIY 12AWG silver bi-wire cables are a challenge if you need to move them around much LOL.

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #8,127 of 22,434
Has anyone here on the Abyss thread heard the XI Audio Sagra DAC? Looks like an interesting bit of gear, and I'm guessing it matches with Abyss Headphones well. Not sure of course, just curious! Please chime in if you have heard it!

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #8,128 of 22,434

All types of piano music are emotionally involving through them, and today I decided to treat myself with an all-piano program made of exceptional performances from some great artists to whom I will never be grateful enough.

Hi Simone,
I'm Best56, and I also have an Abyss1266 Deluxe, which I pilot with both Driver and S.S. Dual Mono in Class A, which in Valves, with Il Viva 845, Huraca'n 845 and Cypher Labs Prautes. Like Cavi in addition to his JPS, I use a 19 AWG Silver Litz Cable and an Axon Silver Aluminum, both from Invictus Cable, and I would like to know if you've ever tried them on your Set up. I found them excellent, and they both gave more than the JPS. Other Italian users preferred them to the Double Elix and the Superconductor ... If you want we can arrange for a listening with your Set up. I find that the Cavo Litz, expresses itself better with the Valvolari, while the Silver Aluminum Axon, gives something more with the Drivers to S.S. in Full Balance. My current digital sources are Mecc./ Conv. Accuphase, Krell KPS-20i and Omega Rise v.3, in addition to Liquida with Mac and Weiss DAC-202.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #8,130 of 22,434
So here is what a Prautes looks like on the inside:

I wonder which multi-thousand dollar headphone cable will get the most out of it...
:thinking:

Viva isn't better, and more than twice as expensive...sounds great, though :)

1105listen.2.jpg

3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back