The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #8,101 of 22,434
Thanx.

Iam confused about your post
"
mulder01 said:
Pretty good deal for anyone in Australia - AUD$4.5k (USD$3.2k) for a brand new CC ($2.5k off just because it's not a TC)
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll.../abyss-ab-1266-phi-planar-magnetic-headphones"

The price is $4500 AUD.

As there are dollars all over the world, just wanted to point that the "$2.5k off" were AUD not USD.
1/ They are a professional seller
2/ They bought it brand new for far less the $3.2k
3/ They've used it for their business and resell it for more than they paid for it
4/ That's a pretty good deal for them. Could also be a good deal for the buyer.

If more explanation needed, be welcome to ask : I know my Frenglish has to be improved

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #8,102 of 22,434
Thought I'd share a couple more random thoughts on the the 1266 as I continue to explore my recently upgraded Phi version:
  • Inexpensive ($8), not-too-looking-DIY solution for the problem of headstrap not low enough to place your ears at the optimal position: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YIJGS6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Adhesive cushion which fits nicely to the bottom of the leather headband
    51uK-B3pzeL._SL1100_.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190415101553527_COVER.jpeg

• Heavy bass distortion: On some bass-heavy tracks (specifically in this case, "Hey Now" by London Grammar), I'm hearing bass rumble distort the entire rest of the band up to and including female vocals and treble. I do realize there is simple physics involved with trying to move that kind of air with a single driver, just curious if anyone else has experienced bass-induced audible distortion? I only ask because one of the huge features of this headphone is the deep and clean bass, of which I'm a huge fan. On this particular track, however, it doesn't take a lot of goosing on the volume dial to hear it. Wondered others' experience?

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #8,103 of 22,434
It could be too much of a gap between the pads and your ears. While you don't want a tight seal, if there is too much space around the pad and your ear the bass will distort. It happens with my Phi CC's. Try gradually pressing the ear cups against your head. If the distortion goes away as more contact between pads and ears occur, your fit is a little loose. I discovered this while playing around with fit.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #8,104 of 22,434
Thought I'd share a couple more random thoughts on the the 1266 as I continue to explore my recently upgraded Phi version:
  • Inexpensive ($8), not-too-looking-DIY solution for the problem of headstrap not low enough to place your ears at the optimal position: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YIJGS6E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Adhesive cushion which fits nicely to the bottom of the leather headband

• Heavy bass distortion: On some bass-heavy tracks (specifically in this case, "Hey Now" by London Grammar), I'm hearing bass rumble distort the entire rest of the band up to and including female vocals and treble. I do realize there is simple physics involved with trying to move that kind of air with a single driver, just curious if anyone else has experienced bass-induced audible distortion? I only ask because one of the huge features of this headphone is the deep and clean bass, of which I'm a huge fan. On this particular track, however, it doesn't take a lot of goosing on the volume dial to hear it. Wondered others' experience?

Hey, I am listening to Hey Now in this moment at fairly high volume and I can't hear any distortion.

Just an amazingly deep and clean sub bass presentation, actually.

Have you tried to adjust your pad positioning and orientation?

They should very gently touch your jawbone. If you leave even a small clearance, this may generate boominess.

Just my 2cents, hope this helps.

P.S. I am now using the TC but I cannot remember any distortion on this particular track from when I had the phi with OG or CC pads

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #8,105 of 22,434
Thanks @JLoud and @simorag . You're both onto something. I have played around with cup rotation and pressure, definitely makes a difference. I have the cups rotated with a pretty significant gap at the bottom which provides the deepest, rumbling bass, but it might be at the expense of control and bloat. Rotating the cups to lessen this gap provides bass that is not as deep but also not as prone to distortion. I hear it in both drivers so I don't think it's a defect. Perhaps I'll just need to play around more and accept not the most thunderous bass in exchange for cleanliness.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #8,106 of 22,434

Great find, put it on my shopping list at Amazon

Have you tried to adjust your pad positioning and orientation?
They should very gently touch your jawbone. If you leave even a small clearance, this may generate boominess. ...

I found that to be the best for bass as well with my Phi, tight, clean, and as powerful as the recording captures it.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #8,107 of 22,434
Thanks @JLoud and @simorag . You're both onto something. I have played around with cup rotation and pressure, definitely makes a difference. I have the cups rotated with a pretty significant gap at the bottom which provides the deepest, rumbling bass, but it might be at the expense of control and bloat. Rotating the cups to lessen this gap provides bass that is not as deep but also not as prone to distortion. I hear it in both drivers so I don't think it's a defect. Perhaps I'll just need to play around more and accept not the most thunderous bass in exchange for cleanliness.

Many of my acquaintances like their bass "more real" than "real", listening for a visceral thrill.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #8,108 of 22,434
In related news; just got an e-mail from Cable Co. A TC demo model is on it's way to me as of today. 2 weeks of fun in-coming.

Apr 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #8,110 of 22,434
What I'm also finding with rotating cups to allow for a large air gap (more bass) is that the soundstage extends as well. On some recordings, it's almost like hearing it live. Probably not accurate, but a seriously amazing headphone experience!

Apr 15, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #8,111 of 22,434
I just received the demo superconductor hc for my phi cc from the cable company. I have to say I’m really surprised at what I found. I have played with Dana lazuli ultra, some norne audio cables (both dealers are fantastic, highly recommended) and the superconductor cable. All cables are burned in for at least 200 hours. The difference between the stock cable and superconductor cable is way too subtle. They share similar sound signature except that the superconductor cable bumps up the mid-bass region a little bit (more smooth overall) and has better imaging while the Dana and norne cables just make my phi cc sound like a different model. I’m not commenting on which one is the best as people have different preferences but I have to say now the superconductor cable seems a bit overpriced. I want to take it apart and have a look but sadly I’m not allowed to. It could that the stock cable is highly well-made so it’s difficult to make a big jump on top of it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #8,112 of 22,434
What I find interesting with the stock cable is that they provide the best bass slam out of all the cables I've tried, but the conductors are also the thinnest. If you gently unscrew the mini 4 pin XLR connector you can see the conductors inside, and from the looks of it it seems to be around 23 gauge. For a conductor this thin they sure pack a punch.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #8,113 of 22,434

Looks like (even though it's softer) it would create more of a hotspot on your head as the weight is distributed over an even smaller area than without the padding?

A bit OT, but it's interesting that a decent number of audiophiles seem to listen to that London Grammar album - "strong" got a fair few listens when I had my 1266 - yet it was pretty much made entirely by broke 20-ish year old musicians at home with no fancy equipment. Kinda ironic - I've seen it used as a demo on systems well into 6 figures... Of course they will claim that you are hearing the music 'just as the artist intended', but in reality, I think they were just happy to have recording equipment that worked at all...

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #8,114 of 22,434
btw I would like to ask if anyone has tried the mysphere and compared with abyss 1266 phi or not? I’m quite interested in the mysphere too
Has anyone compared the Susvara to the Mysphere 3.2 and RAAL-Requisite SR1a in terms of midrange, treble detail retrieval and imaging? I assume the Susvara would have a better low end but in other areas wondering how they compare. It seems that the Mysphere is very efficient and can be driven by DAVE?

Apr 16, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #8,115 of 22,434
Looks like (even though it's softer) it would create more of a hotspot on your head as the weight is distributed over an even smaller area than without the padding?

I don't feel a concentrated hot spot using it. It is pretty cushy, which is comfortable. I don't know if it's any more comfortable than without, but it's no less comfortable IMO.

A bit OT, but it's interesting that a decent number of audiophiles seem to listen to that London Grammar album - "strong" got a fair few listens when I had my 1266 - yet it was pretty much made entirely by broke 20-ish year old musicians at home with no fancy equipment. Kinda ironic - I've seen it used as a demo on systems well into 6 figures... Of course they will claim that you are hearing the music 'just as the artist intended', but in reality, I think they were just happy to have recording equipment that worked at all...

Yeah, it was a few years ago at AXPONA I believe that this song was suddenly everywhere. It's a good tune by a decent band (without that bass part, not sure audiophiles would like it as much?). Didn't know about the production methods, but I will say that if that's true, someone knew what they were doing, because it's recorded very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back