The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #5,266 of 22,482
My Utopia arrives on Monday. I have auditioned them against my Abyss on my setup before and enjoyed them.

I figured it would be a great compliment. An LCD-4 didn't make sense for me because I feel like my Abyss does what they do better.

The Utopia made sense so that I could have a more reference headphone and heck, it's very comfortable compared to the Abyss.
I'm not saying the Abyss isn't comfortable, it is easily more comfortable than many flagships, but the HD 800 and Utopia edge it out in comfort for me.
The HE-1000 in a way might be considered more comfortable for many, but for me they have a weird way of balancing the weight, and a weird clamp that I don't like compared to the hanging of the Abyss.

The Utopia will also stay on my head in bed, which I plan on doing a bit more once I get them. I do admit I am generally on my computer so the Abyss is fine, but they're not fun to try and keep up (that and the way I have to keep them up generally probably decreases sound quality at least slightly)

I've somewhat been considering a new amp/dac next, but I love my Moon Neo 430HAD -- I am at minimum keeping the amp portion. The DAC might be something to consider, though...

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #5,267 of 22,482
@cladane, what interconnect and AC cables do you use with your AB-1266?

​Hello,

AC cable : ESPRIT ETERNA and interconnect cable: ATOHM RCA

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #5,269 of 22,482
  My Utopia arrives on Monday. I have auditioned them against my Abyss on my setup before and enjoyed them.

I figured it would be a great compliment. An LCD-4 didn't make sense for me because I feel like my Abyss does what they do better.

The Utopia made sense so that I could have a more reference headphone and heck, it's very comfortable compared to the Abyss.
I'm not saying the Abyss isn't comfortable, it is easily more comfortable than many flagships, but the HD 800 and Utopia edge it out in comfort for me.
The HE-1000 in a way might be considered more comfortable for many, but for me they have a weird way of balancing the weight, and a weird clamp that I don't like compared to the hanging of the Abyss.

The Utopia will also stay on my head in bed, which I plan on doing a bit more once I get them. I do admit I am generally on my computer so the Abyss is fine, but they're not fun to try and keep up (that and the way I have to keep them up generally probably decreases sound quality at least slightly)

I've somewhat been considering a new amp/dac next, but I love my Moon Neo 430HAD -- I am at minimum keeping the amp portion. The DAC might be something to consider, though...

The new HE1000 v2 is easily the most comfortable high end HP IMHO

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #5,270 of 22,482
Feb 24, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,272 of 22,482
  Does anyone game on these headphones? Love my music, but also love to game. Feel like the increased soundstage would do wonders for games...

I personally find them good for gaming, heck maybe I can add that to my comparison when I get my Utopia and break it in.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #5,273 of 22,482
  I personally find them good for gaming, heck maybe I can add that to my comparison when I get my Utopia and break it in.

Haha, I swear, it feels like I can relate to your audio preferences. Thanks for answering again lol.

It would be really awesome, and much appreciated, if you did add a gaming comparison. Curious, what games do you play that you have enjoyed on the Abyss? I am playing through Dishonored 2 right now and would enjoy a wider soundstage on the Utopia's.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5,274 of 22,482
  Does anyone game on these headphones? Love my music, but also love to game. Feel like the increased soundstage would do wonders for games...

I wonder if gaming just needs the most lightweight comfortable headphone.  Super high fidelity seems like it might be a little unnecessary?  I think you can get simulated surround sound software and stuff if you want to enhance the gaming experience.

I was watching this WA7 review a while ago (not sure why) by a gamer guy and he made a recommendation at about the 20:00 mark for gaming that might be more beneficial than just a pair of headphones with a good soundstage - something like the Abyss is probably more targeted at the purist audiophile but if you are gaming you might get more out of a simulated surround type software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGz0m7xEOM

Not trying to steer you away from the Abyss at all, but if you are mainly gaming there might be more cost effective options for a good gaming experience.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #5,275 of 22,482

Haha, I swear, it feels like I can relate to your audio preferences. Thanks for answering again lol.

It would be really awesome, and much appreciated, if you did add a gaming comparison. Curious, what games do you play that you have enjoyed on the Abyss? I am playing through Dishonored 2 right now and would enjoy a wider soundstage on the Utopia's.

Skyrim Remastered, Quake 3, Paladins, Dying Light, Terraria, Starbound, Minecraft, Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2, Borderlands 2, Duke Nukem 3D, The Forest, GMOD, GTA V, Portal Knights, Saints Row 3, etc.

I play and own a lot of games on Steam.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #5,276 of 22,482

I wonder if gaming just needs the most lightweight comfortable headphone.  Super high fidelity seems like it might be a little unnecessary?  I think you can get simulated surround sound software and stuff if you want to enhance the gaming experience.

I was watching this WA7 review a while ago (not sure why) by a gamer guy and he made a recommendation at about the 20:00 mark for gaming that might be more beneficial than just a pair of headphones with a good soundstage - something like the Abyss is probably more targeted at the purist audiophile but if you are gaming you might get more out of a simulated surround type software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGz0m7xEOM

Not trying to steer you away from the Abyss at all, but if you are mainly gaming there might be more cost effective options for a good gaming experience.

Appreciate your input! Honestly, the headphones are primarily used for critical music listening, and occasionally I will game on them. In fact for gaming I used to prefer playing them on my surround setup, back when I had the HD800 and believe it or not, it was paired with the same WA7 in the video you linked lol. My setup now is Yggy+Rag+Utopia and it has become my new 'reference' for sound, for anything really. In the words of my eight year old, the sound is just magical. However, the HD 800's have a much larger soundstage then the Utopia's (almost too much), hence my never ending rabbit hole of audio.

Basically, I want to have my cake and eat it too lol. I will be demoing the Abyss this weekend at AudioVision in SF, and will soon find out for myself. Won't be the same as a home audition, but really just want to experience the sound signature. The great thing about headphones though, well, space wise, is that you can own more than one pair for different occassions. The wallet on the other hand...

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #5,277 of 22,482
  Skyrim Remastered, Quake 3, Paladins, Dying Light, Terraria, Starbound, Minecraft, Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2, Borderlands 2, Duke Nukem 3D, The Forest, GMOD, GTA V, Portal Knights, Saints Row 3, etc.

I play and own a lot of games on Steam.

Even seeing the word Quake makes me happy. Played Q1/2/3/4/QL for years and years.

Stopped playing games as I get too addicted (not good when you run a business), but I have Doom installed on the W10 boot drive. I'll give that a pop out the Abyss today.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #5,278 of 22,482

Even seeing the word Quake makes me happy. Played Q1/2/3/4/QL for years and years.

Stopped playing games as I get too addicted (not good when you run a business), but I have Doom installed on the W10 boot drive. I'll give that a pop out the Abyss today.

I disliked the new Doom in comparison to Quake.

I played a lot of Quake 1, 4, and live, BUT I played 2 and 3 religiously. Easily thousands more hours than the others. (mainly 3)

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #5,280 of 22,482
Get some speakers and then understand what real sound is supposed to sound.

Not worth it for me in my current living conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back