The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #2,536 of 22,434
  The Abyss is the most dynamic, smooth, and big sounding headphones I've used to-date.  These are comfortable to wear (once it's fitted to you) for an extended period and does not feel like they'll fall off my head.  Proper amplification and fit are VERY important with this headphone.

+1

Early days yet, but following on from my bad audition experience I am now listening at home on a second hand pair through my Headtrip amp (which is totally awesome). However I currently have several very weak links in the chain, but even through my existing mediocre DAC, crappy IC cables and £2 adaptors, I can say Abyss is easily a league or two ahead of HD800 (which I loved but have since sold), especially in terms of soundstage depth and width, dynamics and bass. More detailed impressions to come when transport, DAC, interconnect and HP cable upgrades are complete and a full evaluation can be made. Agree fit IS very critical. I am finding that a full seal is optimal on any music with significant bass content.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #2,537 of 22,434
Nice news from you yates7592.

For sure the Headtrip is a hell of an SS amp. I don't know what suits better the Abyss: SS or tubes. Will try end of June the Viva Egoista.

Wouldn't the Abyss compare more to the LCD-X or PS1000e than HD800 ?? Speaking of Classical I presume ?

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2,538 of 22,434
Having listened to Abyss for quite a few hours now, IMO the sound signature does not really match LCD or HD800 but my first impressions are that it improves on the best of both, e.g. bass better than LCDxx and soundstage better than HD800. I need to get my overall system upgraded to comment more.  

I'm listening mostly to rock, reggae, some jazz, but not classical, so I can't comment on that.

SS vs tube? I haven't heard any tube amps with Abyss but Joe @ JPS seems to think both types have their place with Abyss. The Viva Egoista looks very special also and the price makes me feel much better about dropping $7K on my Headtrip. I would be very interested to hear what you think about the Egoista with Abyss.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #2,539 of 22,434
I'm very tempted by the Viva also, but to be fair, still in musical bliss with this Neo 430.

Perhaps next year I'll add a tube amp :¬)

Glad you're enjoying it yates!

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #2,544 of 22,434

What other top tier tube and solid state amps have you heard to compare the 845 to?

For the most famous amps tested :

-        HeadAmp GS X  MKII
-        Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
-        All amps Eddie Current Exception  2A3 MK4
-        Schiit Ragnarok, Mjolnir
-        ALO audioStudio Six
-        Woo audio WA5 ; WA22
-        MOON Neo 430HA
-        Cypher Labs PRAUTES
-        HifiMan EF 1000
-        Luxman P700u
-        Auralic Taurus
Rudistor RP -030 ; RP8K-VT

Pinnacle Apex...

I forget it certainly

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #2,545 of 22,434

For the most famous amps tested :

-        HeadAmp GS X  MKII
-        Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
-        All amps Eddie Current Exception  2A3 MK4
-        Schiit Ragnarok, Mjolnir
-        ALO audioStudio Six
-        Woo audio WA5 ; WA22
-        MOON Neo 430HA
-        Cypher Labs PRAUTES
-        HifiMan EF 1000
-        Luxman P700u
-        Auralic Taurus
Rudistor RP -030 ; RP8K-VT

Pinnacle Apex...

I forget it certainly

That's some list!

Which of those have you heard the Abyss with?

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #2,547 of 22,434
So the age old debate regales on between SS and Tube amps, truth is they present a different sound, I started off with SS amps and found it was valves that I fell in love with. Then of course you have the never ending debate over which valves work best in specific amps, my experience that this again is very much down to personal preference. The cost of running tubes is on going and the joy for me is finding new NOS valves that open up a different sonic door.  

I have a friend with 234's and we both have comp;lately different musical tastes but generally reach the same conclusions about Tubes. Recently been trying some 80 year old 45's which sound fantastic. is the 234 better than the Egoista, frankly I am so happy with the sound I am getting that I don't care. It would be different for sure and it would depend on what you did with tubes for both.

He spent the weekend with me listening for hours to the Abyss (he got me switched on the Abyss) and the 1st thing he wanted to try out was the DHC cables versus stock, he much preferred the DHC cables. I have arranged for Peter form DHC to try the same cables but in pure silver version. I am a little concerned that they could tip the balance to be bright, he says otherwise. We will see and I will post the comparison here in about a months time.

We both felt the DHC cables really open up the Abyss and the sound is very musical. Fririce0003 found that the stock cables sounded sterile and flat in comparison.

He is going to post his in depth impression here soon, so will leave the last word up to him.

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #2,548 of 22,434

I tested the Abyss with all these exception amp Apex Pinnacle.

Blimey! What was your favourite solid state amp, and tube amp (bar the 845) in your tests?

So the age old debate regales on between SS and Tube amps, truth is they present a different sound, I started off with SS amps and found it was valves that I fell in love with. Then of course you have the never ending debate over which valves work best in specific amps, my experience that this again is very much down to personal preference. The cost of running tubes is on going and the joy for me is finding new NOS valves that open up a different sonic door.  

I have a friend with 234's and we both have comp;lately different musical tastes but generally reach the same conclusions about Tubes. Recently been trying some 80 year old 45's which sound fantastic. is the 234 better than the Egoista, frankly I am so happy with the sound I am getting that I don't care. It would be different for sure and it would depend on what you did with tubes for both.

He spent the weekend with me listening for hours to the Abyss (he got me switched on the Abyss) and the 1st thing he wanted to try out was the DHC cables versus stock, he much preferred the DHC cables. I have arranged for Peter form DHC to try the same cables but in pure silver version. I am a little concerned that they could tip the balance to be bright, he says otherwise. We will see and I will post the comparison here in about a months time.

We both felt the DHC cables really open up the Abyss and the sound is very musical. Fririce0003 found that the stock cables sounded sterile and flat in comparison.

He is going to post his in depth impression here soon, so will leave the last word up to him.

Stop making me want those cables damn it! :¬)

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #2,549 of 22,434

Stop making me want those cables damn it! :¬)

Sorry 
wink_face.gif
 however with Fririce0003 also reaching the same conclusions - pretty much immediately - there seems to be little choice ion the matter. The Spore 4 fusion with copper/silver the current version I have and is half that much. I think it was $1,200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back