The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #14,041 of 22,596
Normal file
https://mega.nz/file/Ut4mGSpL#5DXdQnr3lHsTUkTJ50_5lOYCS8vu6yItDKMrmEKVWZo

Edited

https://mega.nz/file/Us42nCiY#hTXP3ztCRBKa4HddyxL28sqDnnuupak-ULWgjLmAT2c

This is not eq, its a slight compressor, but really a limiter of *spikes of DB*
It took 2 hrs to get it to sound this way, but now that I know it's just a few Mins.

My question to you guys is, with the TC, do you find any information missing? I tried my best to only smooth the spikes and bite, but not take any *instrument * away. Let me know what I can do better.

Thanks so much, I appreciate any who takes the time.

Same DB on both, it just seems I can turn up the volume on the edited one, for a funner, fatigue free listen

But how to implenet such software or plug ins with roon? Probably no way.

Anyways.. You guys are probably just enjoying your tracks right now... Eq pain free... I envy you
The 32Bit original one sounds better.

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #14,043 of 22,596
Hey guys

So I ask this hear as you guys have the same TC, so I need to hear your impressions on my attempt to smooth out tracks without loosing info the best I can and to mellow down treble and upper mid peaks.

I'll upload a section of a track.. About 20 seconds long of a passage with spiky (to me) treble.
This is with no eq applied or any other DSP.

The 2nd track will be same section, but edited by me with a limiter/compressor. To tone down the peaks in treble
The changes allows me to listen with most confort and 0 fatigue now.

But I wonder, if you, individual, take notice of anything else missing from the track... If what I've down destroys other aspects of the track.

If that's OK, I'll upload shortly?
If you have time.
I'm using my susvara right now, still waiting on the TC to arrive. Second one definitely sounds smoother and less peaky/bright but without sacrificing too much of the top end detail. I can see how it would be less fatiguing if that's what you're listening to for hours.

Feb 12, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #14,046 of 22,596
I was hoping that wasn't the case :)
80s rock and pop, some jazz. But mostly electronic, lots of layers, minimal, ect.
Just most of those recordings are done in apartments, amateur stuff. And so.. Mastered according to user lvl.

The common tracks, well known and well done don't have this sibilance and artificial punch to the transients.
The TC just pulls all details and layered so expertly... I love it doing that.
And now. Due to Smooth 2 vst3 plugin... The bad recordings can be tolerable for peoplr like me too.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #14,048 of 22,596
Recently got the Diana v2 and love the headphone. So, looking for a 1266...
I understand the 1266 is better than v2 in every aspect, can someone describe the difference between 1266 and Diana?
The differences for me are the the larger bass, larger soundstage, a bit more detail, and a bit smoother treble compared to Diana v2. Of course the fit is also a very different experience with tinkering around with how it sits on your head is a bit more involved that Diana v2. I've heard Diana Phi is closer to 1266 but without as large of bass or soundstage if that's a potential consideration.

Feb 13, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #14,049 of 22,596
The differences for me are the the larger bass, larger soundstage, a bit more detail, and a bit smoother treble compared to Diana v2. Of course the fit is also a very different experience with tinkering around with how it sits on your head is a bit more involved that Diana v2. I've heard Diana Phi is closer to 1266 but without as large of bass or soundstage if that's a potential consideration.
Thank you for the comparison. It appears the biggest differences are bass and soundstage. How is the difference in midrange, especially vocal?

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #14,050 of 22,596
On 1266 midrange vocals can get lost when you crank it and the vocals aren't really center. I've had it happen on some binaural recordings. On Diana v2 I didn't really have that kind of issue just because everything was kind of up in your head.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #14,051 of 22,596
I ended up keeping the v2 over the phi cc, between the size and set it/forget it, also the sound wasn’t better to me, just different with trade offs

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #14,053 of 22,596
It’s been a while since comparing- but head to head I felt like the v2 was a little more cohesive overall, and overall tone and technicalities were so close that I’d have to literally switch back and forth and look for certain differences with a microscope to find them.

and when the differences are that small, they become non factors when you sit back and actually listen and quit the madness of a/b trsting

I had the 1266 Phi cc for about 2 months and had the v2 for about a month of that time and concluded the v2 was a little warmer and more musical

only thing is a little more grand large staging and a little deeper bass extension on the 1266

but for me it comes down to preference more than better/worse as I had the opportunity to own either for within $200 of each other Price wise

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #14,054 of 22,596
It’s been a while since comparing- but head to head I felt like the v2 was a little more cohesive overall, and overall tone and technicalities were so close that I’d have to literally switch back and forth and look for certain differences with a microscope to find them.

and when the differences are that small, they become non factors when you sit back and actually listen and quit the madness of a/b trsting

I had the 1266 Phi cc for about 2 months and had the v2 for about a month of that time and concluded the v2 was a little warmer and more musical

only thing is a little more grand large staging and a little deeper bass extension on the 1266

but for me it comes down to preference more than better/worse as I had the opportunity to own either for within $200 of each other Price wise
Thank you. Good to know that these two headphones are quite close. I was expecting a huge improvement from v2 to 1266.

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #14,055 of 22,596
I have the V2 and the 1266 TC. The 1266 are faster, more analytical, with more bass and kick. I enjoy both. If I could only have one, it would be the 1266 TC for me. For my mobile setup I could live with a Hifiman arya or a focal but luckily I have all of them so I don't have to choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back