The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #11,431 of 22,434
if you can swing the cash the TC is as close to a slam dunk as there is in this hobby

Jul 17, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #11,432 of 22,434
if you can swing the cash the TC is as close to a slam dunk as there is in this hobby
You forgot to mention which kind of slam dunk, I would say it is the "Vince Carter jumping over a guy at the Olympics" type of slam dunk with the "ROAR" at the end. Youtube that!

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #11,433 of 22,434
Recently acquired the Formula S (rca inputs) + Powerman. Used it with Schiit Yggdrasil and Metrum Onyx DAC via USB. I believe both the outputs on these DACs are 2.0V using single ended.

I am getting popping noises randomly while listening to music. I am assuming these DACs are causing clipping which in turn causes the pop noises? I searched up the specs of the Formula S and its input sensitivty is 1000mV (1V), does this mean I can only feed it a DAC outputting 1V? If this is the case I need to start exploring DACs to go with this stack. Thinking about the SagraDAC since its made to synergize but it has been difficult finding a used one on the market.

Edit: Just borrowed a Chord Qutest and tested it via USB on both 1V and 2V setting, no more random popping noises. So that's two Chord DACs that dont have popping. I dont think it can be that BOTH the Yggdrasil and Onyx are faulty creating the pop noises that would be too coincidental. If anybody has any suggestions or idea of what it may be, please advise!

Thx

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #11,434 of 22,434
I use the chord dave at 3v with the formula s without any issues

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #11,435 of 22,434
I use the chord dave at 3v with the formula s without any issues
To be honest I’m a bit confused also. I had ran the Dave into it on DAC mode as well with no issues. I don’t have the Dave anymore but with these two other DACs I’ve been trying they’ve all caused this popping noise. I looked at the output of the xi audio SagraDAC and its 1.4Vrms from the single ended out so I thought maybe it’s just something Chord DACs do you prevent any clipping even at 3V output.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #11,436 of 22,434
I have had zero clipping or problems at 3V on the dave...cant speak to the other DAC's but I do know for some reason some amps do seem to cause issues with different amps due to settings etc....I have only used the Dave for several years so that is all I can speak to but I will say that I have been to can jam and listened to the amp with other DAC's and never perceived any issues

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #11,437 of 22,434
I would call the guys at abyss they are very helpful and I am sure they can help you or point you in the right direction since the amp was tuned to work with the abyss

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #11,439 of 22,434
agree for sitting in position. however I rank portability higher... and right now H2GO + 4Z is the endgame in that regard. for seated 4z + mtt2 is great... but I would really need to be sitting A LOT in one position to justify the TC as portability is out of the question. Looking at the headfi landscape today... Id say one of the best matrixs would be... 4Z on H2GO for on the go... throw in an IEM (Z1R or Sultan)... seated TC + MTT2 or Bartok + the Bakoon for good measure... and also have a closed in the stable... MDR Z1R or something else.... thats it... your done... for now!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #11,440 of 22,434
agree for sitting in position. however I rank portability higher... and right now H2GO + 4Z is the endgame in that regard. for seated 4z + mtt2 is nice... but I would really need to be sitting ALOT in one position to justify the TC. Looking at the headfi landscape today... Id say one of the best matrixs would be... 4Z on H2GO for on the go... throw in an IEM (Z1R or Sultan)... seated TC + MTT2 or Bartok + the Bakoon for good measure... and also have a closed in the stable... MDR Z1R or something else.... thats it... your done... for now!
I love the Z1Rs.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #11,444 of 22,434
I like my Z1R driven by an A&K se100. Nice portable combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back