The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #11,056 of 22,434
I just joined the club. I got the stand (and the TCs ... :) ) this week. Super excited!

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #11,058 of 22,434
How much running in does a 1266 PHI TC with standard cable need? Just received one on loan for two weeks from my dealer, who said it had very few hours on it.
I didn’t burn the standard cables at all, and they sounded great from the beginning I upgraded to the super conductor cables, and I think I remember Joe saying there should be a 75 hour burn in, so maybe the standard takes that long as well

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #11,059 of 22,434
Stefan saw this and quickly pm'd me. It seems my stand might be shipping soon!

I had to wait a bit too. Apparently there was a delay with some parts from Germany.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #11,061 of 22,434
Hmm I think my right driver has issues. Past few days, the right driver doesn't play any music, until I raise the volume above a certain level. Then the right driver kicks in and music plays. Following that, I can lower volume down low without music cutting out on the right side. On occasion there is very soft static distortion for under a second at a time; this happens not often.

If I don't raise the volume up high first, there is only music from the left side.

Have replicated this scenario with my hpa4, gsx mini and wa22 and stock and superconductor cables.

I seem to have the same problem but left driver. Driver does not play music until I crank up the volume and after that it plays fine. Encountered this on both HPA4 and WA22. Plan to swap cable sides to see if it is cable issue but the problem this is intermittent and not sure how long I need to leave the headphones unused before the “driver sleep?” problem come back? But if it is the cable, shouldnt I get this problem more frequent or even all the time?

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #11,062 of 22,434
I seem to have the same problem but left driver. Driver does not play music until I crank up the volume and after that it plays fine. Encountered this on both HPA4 and WA22. Plan to swap cable sides to see if it is cable issue but the problem this is intermittent and not sure how long I need to leave the headphones unused before the “driver sleep?” problem come back? But if it is the cable, shouldnt I get this problem more frequent or even all the time?

Ok so now there are 4 users with really similar issues...

My headphones are still with me and I haven't been able to get them to the local dealer (they're still closed due to COVID-19 measures).

I'll be getting in touch with Abyss directly and see if I should send them the headphones directly rather than wait and go thru my dealer when they eventually open.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #11,063 of 22,434
Just joined the club and received my 1266 phi tcs on Friday and am enjoying them... I have a SPL Phonitor E coming on Moday but have a feeling I'll also want to consider a tube amp at some point.

I'm also planning on getting some Maggie LRS speakers soon and have the opportunity for a great deal to acquire a primaluna dialogue premium integrated amp from a local contact:
https://www.primaluna-usa.com/dialogue-premium-integrated

Obviously this is a full range speaker amp but I've heard about posters hooking up their Abyss to full size amps. Is it possible to power to the 1266's using this amp? If so is this a bad idea in terms of damaging the headphones?

Specs:

Price$3,399
Power: Ultra-linear
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
42 watts x 2 (EL34)
Output Power: Triode
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
25 watts x 2 (EL34)
Inputs5 Pair RCA +
1 Pair HT bypass
Outputs4 & 8 Ohm
RCA Subwoofer Out
Freq. Response (+/- 1dB)5Hz-30kHz (EL34)

THD (1W/1kHz)0.14% (EL34)
S/N Ratio86 dB (EL34)
Input Sensitivity275mV (EL34)
Input Impedance100k Ohm
Power Consumption280 watts
Standard Tube Compliment 6 - 12AU7
4 - EL34
Dimensions (WxHxD)15.2" x 8" x 15.9"
Weight63.8 lbs

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #11,064 of 22,434
Just joined the club and received my 1266 phi tcs on Friday and am enjoying them... I have a SPL Phonitor E coming on Moday but have a feeling I'll also want to consider a tube amp at some point.

I'm also planning on getting some Maggie LRS speakers soon and have the opportunity for a great deal to acquire a primaluna dialogue premium integrated amp from a local contact:
https://www.primaluna-usa.com/dialogue-premium-integrated

Obviously this is a full range speaker amp but I've heard about posters hooking up their Abyss to full size amps. Is it possible to power to the 1266's using this amp? If so is this a bad idea in terms of damaging the headphones?

Specs:

Price$3,399
Power: Ultra-linear
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
42 watts x 2 (EL34)
Output Power: Triode
(8 Ohms, 1% THD)
25 watts x 2 (EL34)
Inputs5 Pair RCA +
1 Pair HT bypass
Outputs4 & 8 Ohm
RCA Subwoofer Out
Freq. Response (+/- 1dB)5Hz-30kHz (EL34)

THD (1W/1kHz)0.14% (EL34)
S/N Ratio86 dB (EL34)
Input Sensitivity275mV (EL34)
Input Impedance100k Ohm
Power Consumption280 watts
Standard Tube Compliment 6 - 12AU7
4 - EL34
Dimensions (WxHxD)15.2" x 8" x 15.9"
Weight63.8 lbs

For sure. You've come to the right place. :)

You need to get a speaker tap / female XLR adapter cable. As long as you exercise care, you won't damage your headphones. Most importantly, turn the amp on last, and off first.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #11,065 of 22,434
For sure. You've come to the right place. :)

You need to get a speaker tap / female XLR adapter cable. As long as you exercise care, you won't damage your headphones. Most importantly, turn the amp on last, and off first.

Do you have a link to where I might able to buy a cable like that or is that a custom job? Also when you say exercise care is there a series of steps on what you mean by that? Or is it just taking care at listening volumes and if it distorts to lower the volume?

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #11,066 of 22,434
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #11,067 of 22,434
Do you have a link to where I might able to buy a cable like that or is that a custom job? Also when you say exercise care is there a series of steps on what you mean by that? Or is it just taking care at listening volumes and if it distorts to lower the volume?

Have the amp last component turned on, and the first component turned on. That’s basically it. I guess also don’t have it start up with the volume all the way up. I doubt you would do that with a speaker set up, and so I don’t see why you would do that anyway with headphones. There’s no listening level with your headphones, where it would be too loud and would damaged headphones, unless your deaf.

Your not putting as many watts into the headphone as you think at 47 ohms. I believe you divide the amount of watts it’s rated at at 8 ohms, by 6.

What tubes are you getting it with. My new amp can take KT-150 tubes and they are amazing. Killer dynamics and bass.

As far as cable adapters, check with your favorite headphone cable company and ask if they do it for you. Anyone can do it.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #11,068 of 22,434
@teds headfood will make you a custom female XLR to speaker tap adapter...

He can be reached at... https://headphonelounge.com/ and tedallen0220@gmail.com

Just as an aside, Ted made me an adapter and one side didn’t work. I emailed and told him that, and he’s trying to tell me that he doesn’t understand how that could happen, and are you sure that you hooked it up correctly. Pissed me off. Not pissed that it didn’t work, just pissed that a moron could hook it up and he’s questioning if I hooked it up correctly

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #11,069 of 22,434

He can be reached at... https://headphonelounge.com/ and
Just as an aside, Ted made me an adapter and one side didn’t work. I emailed and told him that, and he’s trying to tell me that he doesn’t understand how that could happen, and are you sure that you hooked it up correctly. Pissed me off. Not pissed that it didn’t work, just pissed that a moron could hook it up and he’s questioning if I hooked it up correctly
Sorry to hear that Ken... Did he end up fixing it for you? I've had nothing but positive results from Ted... I've referred many people. You're the first that I've heard that had a problem.

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #11,070 of 22,434

He can be reached at... https://headphonelounge.com/ and
Sorry to hear that Ken... Did he end up fixing it for you? I've had nothing but positive results from Ted... I've referred many people. You're the first that I've heard that had a problem.

Actually no. I got so pissed off I threw it in the garbage. I wasn’t pissed that it didn’t work. I was pissed at his attitude. I bought a superconductor adapter to match my headphone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back