The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Feb 22, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #10,306 of 22,406
i ended up just ordering a new headband from JPS.
also, not really sure what i was thinking... but i ended up ordering an SC cable too.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #10,307 of 22,406
LOL! I'd like a ham sandwich and I'll take one of those cans of Iranian Seruga Caviar.

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #10,308 of 22,406
I would think Abyss would be happy to warranty this, and I would certainly expect them to. I’m not in love with the rubber band design built into my Phis. At the very least, they should make them replaceable without needing to replace the entire leather strap.

Why would they? That rubber band seems virtually indestructible if you don’t screw around with it. I think you’d have to have a lot of wear and tear on it for to become weak and break. It was made to work in conjunction with the head strap. If you start doing mods and using zip ties etc., then you’re changing the tension and torque on it and then I would say all bets are off in terms of its longevity..

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #10,309 of 22,406
Ah, okay.
Let me know what you think about the 596 after sufficient burn in.
Still waiting for the adapter.

But I like this metal base rectifier. You should give it a try.

IMG_20200222_104002.jpg
IMG_20200222_104002.jpg

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #10,311 of 22,406
So, I just got my Raal/Requisite SR1a yesterday, and I've been listening to it all morning. I read some review somewhere that said the SR1a and the TCs have more in common than they do different. That is very true from my first few hours of listening. The SR1a has better imaging, wider sound stage, and speed etc. The TCs have better bass, musicality, they are still very fast. But, they both play music outside your head

One of these days I'm going to have to stop being lazy and write a comparison between the TCs, Susvaras, and SR1aS

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #10,313 of 22,406
So, I just got my Raal/Requisite SR1a yesterday, and I've been listening to it all morning. I read some review somewhere that said the SR1a and the TCs have more in common than they do different. That is very true from my first few hours of listening. The SR1a has better imaging, wider sound stage, and speed etc. The TCs have better bass, musicality, they are still very fast.

One of these days I'm going to have to stop being lazy and write a comparison between the TCs, Susvaras, and SR1aS
I am very surprised to hear this from you... I was really hoping to love them... They were on my must listen list at CanJam. I did enjoy the transparency and detail of the Raals... But everything else was a negative for me... Especially the bass... They are just not a full range headphone. The fit and feel was also quite awkward for me as well...

I'm sorry to be raining on your parade... I'm just surprised considering your bassheadedness.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #10,314 of 22,406
I am very surprised to hear this from you... I was really hoping to love them... They were on my must listen list at CanJam. I did enjoy the transparency and detail of the Raals... But everything else was a negative for me... Especially the bass... They are just not a full range headphone. The fit and feel was also quite awkward for me as well...

I'm sorry to be raining on your parade... I'm just surprised considering your bassheadedness.
Yeah, I think I'm fine with the bass because I expected it to be non-existent, so anything above that was a bonus. I also think using the WA33 for a pre-amp and the JotR for an hp amp could be why it sounds better than I had initially expected.
Don't get me wrong, the bass is nowhere near TC levels. I'm definitely not going to listen to hip-hop with the SR1as. But, very fast music sounds extremely good. Like grindcore (e.g.,Agoraphobic Nosebleed) and technical death metal (Origin, for example) sound so, so good.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #10,315 of 22,406
20200223_001657.jpg

This is how I put my TC on headphone stand since I got them about a month ago, adding sponge cushion between the frame and the headband.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #10,316 of 22,406
But, very fast music sounds extremely good. Like grindcore (e.g.,Agoraphobic Nosebleed) and technical death metal (Origin, for example) sound so, so good.
The fact that this is actually a real genre... makes me chuckle. :)

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #10,318 of 22,406
Why would they? That rubber band seems virtually indestructible if you don’t screw around with it. I think you’d have to have a lot of wear and tear on it for to become weak and break. It was made to work in conjunction with the head strap. If you start doing mods and using zip ties etc., then you’re changing the tension and torque on it and then I would say all bets are off in terms of its longevity..

It seems like the fellow above only got 6-7 months out of his. It’s not clear, but I don’t think he did any mods.

All rubber of this kind deteriorates over time. I just don’t think it’s a great design to have the rubber sewn into the headband.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #10,319 of 22,406
It seems like the fellow above only got 6-7 months out of his. It’s not clear, but I don’t think he did any mods.

All rubber of this kind deteriorates over time. I just don’t think it’s a great design to have the rubber sewn into the headband.

I didn't do any additional mods to the headband. I did, however, do a half turn of the headband before seating it on my head, to increase the tension and allow the headphones to sit higher rather than have the inside of the ear cups rest on the top of my ears. I suppose that contributed to the rubber snapping, plus the fact the headphones are in an air-conditioned room all the time which may have caused it to harden and crack (?). The band on the other side does look ok though. Anyhow, I didn't bring it up to JPS; just ordered a new one and will not be twisting the headband from now on. I have a pilot pad from ZMF which I will stuff in between the headband and metal frame when using the headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #10,320 of 22,406
I didn't do any additional mods to the headband. I did, however, do a half turn of the headband before seating it on my head, to increase the tension and allow the headphones to sit higher rather than have the inside of the ear cups rest on the top of my ears. I suppose that contributed to the rubber snapping, plus the fact the headphones are in an air-conditioned room all the time which may have caused it to harden and crack (?). The band on the other side does look ok though. Anyhow, I didn't bring it up to JPS; just ordered a new one and will not be twisting the headband from now on. I have a pilot pad from ZMF which I will stuff in between the headband and metal frame when using the headphones.

Not a big deal, but I think the rubber should be able to handle a lot of distorting. I would honestly ask JPS about it. I bet anything they’d refund your order and replace it for free. Anyway, not the end of the world. I’d pay for one after maybe 4-5 years of heavy use, but I’d expect warranty in less than one year on something like this.

Actually, a split rubber band design with a couple of knots on the end to prevent slipping past the metal clasp would work just fine as a fix without replacing the whole headband. Seems like an idea to consider for JPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back