The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #9,601 of 22,406
Dec 19, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #9,603 of 22,406
I'm blown away by the instrument spacing. Everything is so clear and defined with the Superconductor. The soundstage is great too. Jay over at audiobacon said the Superconductor was too warm. I don't hear that at all. I know some other posters on here said the same thing about the cables not being too warm either. I dunno why that reviewer on audiobacon found the cables to be too warm. I guess everybody hears things differently

Congracts! You basically just set a new target for us new joiners just when we thought having the Abyss was already good enough...

Is the Superconductor as stiff as the stock cable? I've. had a hard time dealing with stock one:jecklinsmile:

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #9,604 of 22,406
Is the Superconductor as stiff as the stock cable? I've. had a hard time dealing with stock one:jecklinsmile:

The Superconductor is very flexible, smooth to the touch and light. Actually, I began looking for alternatives to the stock cable mainly for ergonomics / aesthetics. I ended up with the Superconductor as well, my journey is here.

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #9,605 of 22,406
The Superconductor is very flexible, smooth to the touch and light. Actually, I began looking for alternatives to the stock cable mainly for ergonomics / aesthetics. I ended up with the Superconductor as well, my journey is here.

It was an enjoyable read. Thanks! There must be something special about the SC that you chose to keep in the end, especially you held the DHC in very high regard from your review.
May I ask what was the critical point you chose SC over DHC?

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #9,606 of 22,406
Congracts! You basically just set a new target for us new joiners just when we thought having the Abyss was already good enough...

Yeah, agreed. The stock are very stiff. On the SC, the cables are flexible on not stiff at all. Ergonomically, they are substantially better. They do still have the two cords all the way through that are not connected, like the original. I used some Velcro ties on the stock and I probably will on the SC too. But, yeah, the cables are much better in like every regard, including ergonomics

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #9,607 of 22,406
It was an enjoyable read. Thanks! There must be something special about the SC that you chose to keep in the end, especially you held the DHC in very high regard from your review.
May I ask what was the critical point you chose SC over DHC?

It was not an easy decision as I liked both ...

I chose to keep the SC for three reasons:

1. Better balance between transparency and body (esp. Vocals and mid-bass) for my tastes,
2. More discrete looks (my Prion4 was white with golden finishes),
3. I got the Prion4 used and the SC new, so the resale loss was much less.

Anyway, the Prion4 is an outstanding piece of audio gear as well, and I can easily see how some users could prefer it over the Superconductor.

With warmer / thicker cans like Audeze or ZMF I guess it is an heavenly match!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #9,608 of 22,406
Yeah, agreed. The stock are very stiff. On the SC, the cables are flexible on not stiff at all. Ergonomically, they are substantially better. They do still have the two cords all the way through that are not connected, like the original. I used some Velcro ties on the stock and I probably will on the SC too. But, yeah, the cables are much better in like every regard, including ergonomics

Without the Y-splitter, it kind of has this weird feeling that you are like carrying an amplifier on your head with 2 RCA cables wrapping around you. Not so sure if they do it on purpose without the Y-splitter, but I guess it's to reduce distortion bewteen the two?

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #9,610 of 22,406
It was not an easy decision as I liked both ...

I chose to keep the SC for three reasons:

1. Better balance between transparency and body (esp. Vocals and mid-bass) for my tastes,
2. More discrete looks (my Prion4 was white with golden finishes),
3. I got the Prion4 used and the SC new, so the resale loss was much less.

Anyway, the Prion4 is an outstanding piece of audio gear as well, and I can easily see how some users could prefer it over the Superconductor.

With warmer / thicker cans like Audeze or ZMF I guess it is an heavenly match!

This is quite a RARE thing that the headphone company actually produces better/the same quality headphone cables than the others out there. But came to think of it, it's JPS after all :)

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #9,611 of 22,406
I'm blown away by the instrument spacing. Everything is so clear and defined with the Superconductor. The soundstage is great too. Jay over at audiobacon said the Superconductor was too warm. I don't hear that at all. I know some other posters on here said the same thing about the cables not being too warm either. I dunno why that reviewer on audiobacon found the cables to be too warm. I guess everybody hears things differently
I agree, not sure why Jay had that perception? My expereince is the same as yours...

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #9,613 of 22,406
This might be a silly question. But, does the TC have that cool soundstage like the Susvara where the music floats on the sides of you?
The soundstage produced by Abyss headphones is quite spectacular... I think it depends mostly on the recording... But when it's available, the soundstage is reproduced in a very real 3D image. I love when I hear a new song, and I hear sounds that seem to come from many feet away from me... It sometimes can be very magical... As well as startling.

I listen to quite a bit of electronic ambient music. Because the 1266s are an open back design... you can be sometimes fooled into thinking that sounds and noises in the recording are coming from the outside world and not the music. I love it when that happens!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back