The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #8,671 of 22,406
@simorag just curious, what didn't you like about the XI Audio Formula S? I assume you sold it because something wasn't working for you. I'm considering it as my potential next amp. I would need to start with just the Formula S alone, and then work up to adding the Powerman if I liked the Formula S enough. Thanks

I sold the XI Audio combo just because I wanted to move to an amp capable to drive both hp and loudspeakers.

I was very happy with it in fact.

My recommendation would be to save a bit longer (or look into the 2nd hand market, or do a hardcore bargaining negotiation with your dealer :)) and get the Poweman as well since the beginning, as it really brings the Formula S to a significantly higher level in terms of resolution, transparency and smoothness.

I realize that means getting to a total price where you have plenty of other options ...

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #8,673 of 22,406
Yes, this is true. Without the Powerman, do you still recommend the Formula S?

I would try to compare it to speaker amps in the same price range (new or, better, used as there are a lot more options for great deals with speaker amps in the 2nd hand market) before making a decision.

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #8,674 of 22,406
Aug 12, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #8,675 of 22,406
As a follow up to my previous post, hereafter is a report of another full day of listening of the AIC-10 in my set-up. Hope it can provide some useful information to others in similar conditions of mine.

This time the listening session has been extended to loudspeakers, and the ones I have at hand right now - the venerable Spendor LS3/5A - are not exactly an easy load with their 82dB sensitivity on 10 ohm impedance.

Mr Luca Chiomenti, the designer of the AIC-10, has been kind enough to visit me and assist throughout the home audition, and I must admit it has been one of the most enjoyable and informative learning experiences of my audiophile life.

First lesson learned: 10W per channel delivered through a well designed amplifier are more than enough to drive my LS3/5A, in my 30sqm living room, to subjectively satisfactory levels. We actually measured the power requested by the loudspeakers while playing quite demanding tracks, and we hitted 6-7W instantaneous peaks at loudness levels well above what I can normally afford in my condominium apartment before my neighbors call the police or my wife asks divorce.
For me, this was the proof that the AIC-10 can indeed be the HP + loudspeakers amp I am looking for.

Second lesson learned: the AB-1266 Phi TC are not as intrinsically bright-ish as I thought. With the right pairing, and the AIC-10 seems to provide just that, they produce a level of upper midrange / lower treble energy which is extremely refined and smooth, and totally consistent with that of the LS3/5A - which are known for a most neutral tuning in the vocals frequency range.

Third lesson learned: apart from obvious imaging advantages (musicians location in front of you instead of around your head) and physical experience (sound impacting your whole body and not just the eardrums), it will take me a significant investment in a loudspeaker upgrade - possibly including a subwoofer - to match the AB-1266 resolution, detail retrieval and bass extension / articulation, thus providing a truly overall better listening experience. As a long standing loudspeaker guy, I still believe headphones are a trade-off driven by practicality considerations, but with gear as the Phi TC the bar is very high.

Last lesson learned (old news, I know): always try to listen / compare in person instead of making assumptions based on reviews / reports (of course including this one :)) - I am a lazy guy and suffered in the past from this in first person, making fairly bad choices for my audio purchases.

I agree on the phones versus speakers comparisons. They are as different from each other as they are from the live experience. With regards to phones (and I'm referencing primarily classical music recordings and the live concert hall experience) they can be like magnifying glass on the recording and for listening into the score to discover a lot of the finer details that speakers mostly can't resolve for a number of reasons, and that even in a live experience can get lost as the conductor balances the different forces under his command to get the sound he wants. Speakers (versus phones) are a move towards the live experience with regards to imaging, sound staging, (both of which are often more pinpoint than I experience in the concert hall) and the visceral impact and true dynamic range of the music but with crossovers, different speaker responses / coloration's / speeds, cabinet resonances, and maybe the biggest factor, room acoustics, they do give up some aspects to phones.

I enjoy all 3 methods of listening to music; hearing it from inside, hearing from outside, and hearing it from the absolute reference.

Your right on the last lesson as well. In the 70's and 80's and into the 90's the number of (real) high-end audio stores (even in less than major metropolitan areas) was at least 10 times more than today which makes in person evaluations very difficult or at best a day trip, maybe even an over night-er today. Such are the trials and tribulations of being an audiophile in the here and now.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #8,676 of 22,406
@simorag just curious, what didn't you like about the XI Audio Formula S? I assume you sold it because something wasn't working for you. I'm considering it as my potential next amp. I would need to start with just the Formula S alone, and then work up to adding the Powerman if I liked the Formula S enough. Thanks
Dont buy the Formula S for the full retail price , its not worth that much , AudioGD Master9 is way way better in every aspect.

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #8,678 of 22,406
I remember a post or article about an insert that someone developed for the 1266 that created a gap between the drivers and the earpads. It allowed the 1266 to fit securely and snugly on your head but still provided the sq benefit of the loose fit in order to create a bit of bass and soundstage expansion. Does anyone else remember that (and the link)?
If you're talking about the one I think you are, that was one user who had his own custom headband built with screw adjustments etc? Maybe 100 pages back? :p

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #8,680 of 22,406
Aug 14, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #8,683 of 22,406
Wow. That seems pretty complex and time consuming. For the uber diehards I guess
i guess its not that complex if you want to save 400$ , funny thing i never seen any discount on the pads, i really wish abyss do some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back