1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by scolaiw, Jun 5, 2013.
First

Back
569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578
580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589
Next

Last
  1. simorag
    I sold the XI Audio combo just because I wanted to move to an amp capable to drive both hp and loudspeakers.

I was very happy with it in fact.

My recommendation would be to save a bit longer (or look into the 2nd hand market, or do a hardcore bargaining negotiation with your dealer :)) and get the Poweman as well since the beginning, as it really brings the Formula S to a significantly higher level in terms of resolution, transparency and smoothness.

I realize that means getting to a total price where you have plenty of other options ...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. tholt
    Yes, this is true. Without the Powerman, do you still recommend the Formula S?

3. simorag
    I would try to compare it to speaker amps in the same price range (new or, better, used as there are a lot more options for great deals with speaker amps in the 2nd hand market) before making a decision.

4. Hoegaardener70
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/totl-headphones-comparison.856079/#post-13616612

5. FLTWS
    I agree on the phones versus speakers comparisons. They are as different from each other as they are from the live experience. With regards to phones (and I'm referencing primarily classical music recordings and the live concert hall experience) they can be like magnifying glass on the recording and for listening into the score to discover a lot of the finer details that speakers mostly can't resolve for a number of reasons, and that even in a live experience can get lost as the conductor balances the different forces under his command to get the sound he wants. Speakers (versus phones) are a move towards the live experience with regards to imaging, sound staging, (both of which are often more pinpoint than I experience in the concert hall) and the visceral impact and true dynamic range of the music but with crossovers, different speaker responses / coloration's / speeds, cabinet resonances, and maybe the biggest factor, room acoustics, they do give up some aspects to phones.

I enjoy all 3 methods of listening to music; hearing it from inside, hearing from outside, and hearing it from the absolute reference.

Your right on the last lesson as well. In the 70's and 80's and into the 90's the number of (real) high-end audio stores (even in less than major metropolitan areas) was at least 10 times more than today which makes in person evaluations very difficult or at best a day trip, maybe even an over night-er today. Such are the trials and tribulations of being an audiophile in the here and now.

Hoegaardener70 and simorag like this.
  6. GU1DO
    Dont buy the Formula S for the full retail price , its not worth that much , AudioGD Master9 is way way better in every aspect.

7. Olumm
    can anyone tell me if there is an significant difference in the newer pads from the original 1266 pads?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  8. mulder01
    If you're talking about the one I think you are, that was one user who had his own custom headband built with screw adjustments etc? Maybe 100 pages back? :p

9. mt-hifidelity
  10. GU1DO
  11. Olumm
    GU1DO likes this.
  12. tholt
    Wow. That seems pretty complex and time consuming. For the uber diehards I guess

13. GU1DO
    i guess its not that complex if you want to save 400$ , funny thing i never seen any discount on the pads, i really wish abyss do some day.

14. mulder01
    ahh that's a different mod to the one I was thinking of again... :p
    They did discount the earpads when they were first launched

15. Olumm
    it's pretty easy if you either have a 3D printer, or know someone that does. At that point it's just a little hot glue for the magnets and double sided tape for the pads.

First

Back
569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578
580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589
Next

Last