The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #8,341 of 22,458
I am curious why we are all only having this issue with the left driver.
And everybody switched the cables and it was still on the left side? Just curious.

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #8,342 of 22,458
I switched the cables on the diana phi and the tc. It was still the left side. With the tc adjusting the gap between the pad and my head decreased the vibration but it is still there.

I will say these are still the best that I have heard. I just wish I hadn't heard them out of the auris nirvana and head trip reference. I still love them out of the liquid platinum. They are much clearer and faster than my LCD 4z was and that was amazing.

They are close to my two channel but the two channel still beats them. Then again it is $15k USD in just the speakers and amp then the onyx on top of that. With that said the abyss is a bargain when compared against top level speaker setups. I just wish I could afford a highend speaker setup. Magico m6 is my dream setup with dagostino electronics. They are a pipe dream though maybe some a3 or s3 one day.:)

The only bad thing about high end audio is that I think we become jaded. I jumped into headfi head first with the LCD X 2 years ago. With two channel I started with the ls50 and arcam. I remember being 21 and thinking that my Harmon kardon and mirage surround setup was totl. In some ways I wish that I had taken more time to explore from entry level to where I am now. The problem is to go higher up the chain from this point is a lot of money:triportsad:. I will stop my rant now Does anyone else have similar feelings about their hifi journey??

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #8,343 of 22,458
Really weird it is only happening on one side even with driver mismatch you would think it would be a 50/50 shot as one side or the other.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #8,344 of 22,458
Wow... I've got a big head... LOL! My headband is extended fully and I still need to go out some more.

Thanks for the music suggestions... I can't find Beethoven 9th, 2nd movement on Tidal... might you be able to help? But London Grammar's Hey Now is absolutely fantastic... Soundstage... Soundstage... Soundstage! Not to mention the absolute clarity.

I may have to learn what "reference" music is supposed to "sound" like.

Thanks for your help.

You might want to try bending the arms out a bit. I did and I made a huge difference in fit. It leaves a small gap under the ear and the bass improved alot. I have a really big head too I guess i wear them totally open and with them slightly bent. It is scary to bend them that first time. Do it bit by bit the elastic does seem to pull the arm back together a bit too.

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #8,345 of 22,458
I switched the cables on the diana phi and the tc. It was still the left side. With the tc adjusting the gap between the pad and my head decreased the vibration but it is still there.

I will say these are still the best that I have heard. I just wish I hadn't heard them out of the auris nirvana and head trip reference. I still love them out of the liquid platinum. They are much clearer and faster than my LCD 4z was and that was amazing.

They are close to my two channel but the two channel still beats them. Then again it is $15k USD in just the speakers and amp then the onyx on top of that. With that said the abyss is a bargain when compared against top level speaker setups. I just wish I could afford a highend speaker setup. Magico m6 is my dream setup with dagostino electronics. They are a pipe dream though maybe some a3 or s3 one day.:)

The only bad thing about high end audio is that I think we become jaded. I jumped into headfi head first with the LCD X 2 years ago. With two channel I started with the ls50 and arcam. I remember being 21 and thinking that my Harmon kardon and mirage surround setup was totl. In some ways I wish that I had taken more time to explore from entry level to where I am now. The problem is to go higher up the chain from this point is a lot of money:triportsad:. I will stop my rant now Does anyone else have similar feelings about their hifi journey??

Some good points here. My own journey has been a bit of a roller coaster up until the last 2 years. IMO you need to find the right gear, then end game is possible and halt the outflow of cash. I am now fully end game.

Jun 4, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #8,346 of 22,458
The problem is to go higher up the chain from this point is a lot of money:triportsad:. I will stop my rant now Does anyone else have similar feelings about their hifi journey??

I think everyone does to a certain extent. There is a point of diminishing returns.

For 2 channel systems, room treatment is oft overlooked and not only a huge elephant in the room, one of the more cost-effective issues to fix. For headphones, I've found its synergy, particularly with Abyss. They're so clean, resolute and neutral that the upstream gear needs to play well with that.

Jun 6, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #8,347 of 22,458
You might want to try bending the arms out a bit. I did and I made a huge difference in fit. It leaves a small gap under the ear and the bass improved alot. I have a really big head too I guess i wear them totally open and with them slightly bent. It is scary to bend them that first time. Do it bit by bit the elastic does seem to pull the arm back together a bit too.
I did bend the arms just a bit... I found that even if you extend (without bending) the arm to their widest point... The o-rings tend to pull them back in.

I am curious why, if the bass port is so necessary... why Abyss hasn't designed pads with a built in port of their own. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #8,348 of 22,458
I did bend the arms just a bit... I found that even if you extend (without bending) the arm to their widest point... The o-rings tend to pull them back in.

I am curious why, if the bass port is so necessary... why Abyss hasn't designed pads with a built in port of their own. Just an idea.

Someone has plans for a 3d printed spacer

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #8,350 of 22,458
Jun 7, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #8,351 of 22,458
Long time not seeing you post something, and nice to know your thoughts about Tc! I tried mysphere and finds that the imaging, warmth and texture of mysphere is very good, however other aspects are a bit not up to the standard that I want comparing to abyss. I have the phi with cc pad and I am very satisfied with it other than the little harshness in the mid.

May I know what is the change of the mid comparing to the phi cc? Does it add some thickness in it or it refines more?

The mid range is the largest change between the TC and the Phi CC, power everything else is cleaner and considerably more Transparent. Think LCD-4z level of mid range but sweeter, more emotion and greater transparency. Same as for the Susvara. AS they have more hours on them they are getting sweeter through the mids and the bass is extending further (which I didn't think was possible). The TC is easily the largest change to Abyss Headphones.

However you must listen to a pair preferably with an amp/DAC combination that will allow them to shine. I am planning on trying them through my Mojo this weekend to see how that performs. They seem easier to drive.

Hope this helps, happy to answer any more questions.

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #8,352 of 22,458

Bass is a matter of taste, and this way the response is customizable. No real advantage in making it fixed.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #8,353 of 22,458
Bass is a matter of taste, and this way the response is customizable. No real advantage in making it fixed.

Very true... but I am glad that someone else is thinking about building a spacer. This would be a win-win for me. The bass the way I like it all the time... as well as trading the sloppy "floating" fit for something a little more secure.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #8,355 of 22,458

Users who are viewing this thread

Back