The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 17, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #8,266 of 22,434
since i got the formula s i have been using the amp with the phi tc /dave almost all the time......i simply find myself enjoying it more...that said i can imagine others feeling differently...i listen to a lot of uncompressed jazz and it simply requires the amp and this combo is terrific

May 18, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #8,267 of 22,434
Listening to Beethoven 3rd (Abbado / Wiener) right now with the Abyss TC.

Full blown orchestral passages in the finale - allegro played back at realistic volume level sound beautifully controlled, majestic, clear and undistorted via Formula S / Powerman.

Via the DAVE direct I am hearing some signs of strain, soundstage collapse / congestion. While still an awe-inspiring experience (as the 3rd should be), some of the enjoyment is lost in direct comparison.

May 18, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #8,268 of 22,434
i used to think the dave a lone was the better choice until the got the formula s and powerman and since then i am listening basically only to the combo....the dave drives them well but the overall impact with the amp is more immersive for me....everything is grander...the uncompressed recordings that required really pushing the dave alone are effortless with the amp....others may disagree...expensive hobby aint it lol?

May 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #8,269 of 22,434
I have been reading everyone's post with interest, its good to be back on Head-Fi.

Just received news that a par of TC's is heading my way in a couple of weeks. I have the Susvara, Utopia etc but feel that my current Phi CC is the ultimate Headphone for me. I have been using them out of my WA33 Elite, however a coupe of weeks ago I swapped the WA33 out for the latest edition of the 234's (which are single ended) running Takatsuki 300B's and 274B's and preferred the 234's for their dynamic slam, resolution and ability to use different types of tubes. I am using the DHC Prion4S balanced with the Abyss.

I realised after going through all my Headphones that I have the complete collection of all the editions of the Abyss. Cannot wait for the TC's.
I also own the abyss and the wa33 eite. I am very curious on your opinion over the wa33 elite vs wa234 comparison. Is the wa234 clearly better sounding to you with the abyss than the wa33 elite? Also I saw on your signature that you own the wa234 elite. I am wondering whether that's an upgrade over the stock wa234?
Thank you very much!

May 19, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #8,270 of 22,434
I also own the abyss and the wa33 eite. I am very curious on your opinion over the wa33 elite vs wa234 comparison. Is the wa234 clearly better sounding to you with the abyss than the wa33 elite? Also I saw on your signature that you own the wa234 elite. I am wondering whether that's an upgrade over the stock wa234?
Thank you very much!

The WA234 is a side-grade unless you care about having one amp that will run both 300b and 2a3 tubes and in particular 300b performance. It's a better amp than the WA5 on 300b's, and a great amp on the 2a3's but not definitively better than the WA33 elite. Paired with great 300b tubes it is a powerhouse but IMO you are mostly paying for the versatility and the true dual mono design. Not sure if there a WA234 elite, my understanding is that the 234 has only one model at $16k.

At that price range, though, there are far, far better 300b speaker amps, and you could probably even find a quad 300b design that will happily push to close to 20wpc.

May 19, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #8,271 of 22,434
The WA234 is a side-grade unless you care about having one amp that will run both 300b and 2a3 tubes and in particular 300b performance. It's a better amp than the WA5 on 300b's, and a great amp on the 2a3's but not definitively better than the WA33 elite. Paired with great 300b tubes it is a powerhouse but IMO you are mostly paying for the versatility and the true dual mono design. Not sure if there a WA234 elite, my understanding is that the 234 has only one model at $16k.

At that price range, though, there are far, far better 300b speaker amps, and you could probably even find a quad 300b design that will happily push to close to 20wpc.
Thanks a lot for your reply! I am still curious about the comparison between the wa234 and wa33 elite. It seems that Woo never offered an official explanation on which amp is better suited for the abyss.

May 19, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #8,272 of 22,434
Thanks a lot for your reply! I am still curious about the comparison between the wa234 and wa33 elite. It seems that Woo never offered an official explanation on which amp is better suited for the abyss.

It's a matter of taste. People have a love/hate relationship with 300b's. I'm not generally a tube fan but I really like 300b amps.

If you're looking for a next step upgrade to the WA33 Elite and is interested in 300b's, see if you can set up a demo session for the Airtight ATM-300R off speaker taps. Nothing 2a3 comes to mind that's a clear step up over the WA33E, though.

May 20, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #8,273 of 22,434
It's a matter of taste. People have a love/hate relationship with 300b's. I'm not generally a tube fan but I really like 300b amps.

If you're looking for a next step upgrade to the WA33 Elite and is interested in 300b's, see if you can set up a demo session for the Airtight ATM-300R off speaker taps. Nothing 2a3 comes to mind that's a clear step up over the WA33E, though.
Thanks a ton! I am a newbie here. I will do some research on speaker amps.

May 20, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #8,274 of 22,434
Anyone have experience using ampsandsound amps with the Abyss Phi? Looking at the Mogwai SE. Purportedly 5w output with stock rectifier and KT88 tubes. Wondering about sonic characteristics. Might be a pipe dream, but I'd love to get the warmth, mids and 3D presence of tubes with the bass and speed of SS.

May 21, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #8,275 of 22,434
Thank you very much!

Both are great sounding amps. Personally I have quite a large NOS tube collection so the 234 allows me to roll a greater selection of tubes and hence change the sound according to my tastes on any particular day. My 234's are the 3rd pair I have owned and I wanted some custom work done on them hence the Elite badge on the rear. Woo have recently produced a MKII 234 which uses a different driver tube which was a 6SN7 and now is a 13EM7 which drives 300B's better apparently. My 234's run 15EM7 RCA driver tubes. I have a soft spot for 45's and use the EML 45 Globe tubes, they did a limited production run and I managed to snag a pair.

I generally gravitate towards Plannars and so my Abyss are usually my go to HP's. I prefer the 234's driving the Abyss. A new SS amp is arriving soon for audtion however I have a soft spot for Valves so it will have to sound pretty special.

I read Zhanming057's excellent review of the Raal SR1's and would love to hear a pair however I am in Australia so that's not going to happen any time soon. He seems to have a preference for using speaker amps with HP's which is something I have not tried but will try to do so.

May 21, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #8,276 of 22,434
Both are great sounding amps. Personally I have quite a large NOS tube collection so the 234 allows me to roll a greater selection of tubes and hence change the sound according to my tastes on any particular day. My 234's are the 3rd pair I have owned and I wanted some custom work done on them hence the Elite badge on the rear. Woo have recently produced a MKII 234 which uses a different driver tube which was a 6SN7 and now is a 13EM7 which drives 300B's better apparently. My 234's run 15EM7 RCA driver tubes. I have a soft spot for 45's and use the EML 45 Globe tubes, they did a limited production run and I managed to snag a pair.

I generally gravitate towards Plannars and so my Abyss are usually my go to HP's. I prefer the 234's driving the Abyss. A new SS amp is arriving soon for audtion however I have a soft spot for Valves so it will have to sound pretty special.

I read Zhanming057's excellent review of the Raal SR1's and would love to hear a pair however I am in Australia so that's not going to happen any time soon. He seems to have a preference for using speaker amps with HP's which is something I have not tried but will try to do so.
Thank you very much for your comment! Please continue to share your thoughts on this forum and I am sure a lot of people will appreciate your sharing!

May 27, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #8,277 of 22,434
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
May 30, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #8,278 of 22,434
I just picked up the 1266 tc yesterday. I am amazed by how good they are. They rival my two channel setup for sure. They also send significantly better than the diana phi to me as well. They are not portable.but my IEMS will do for portable needs.

May 30, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #8,279 of 22,434
Does anyone have any feedback on 'transportable' amp options to drive the Abyss Phi or TC?
I just got a Rupert Neve RNHP from B&H, which beats the Hugo 2 on its own but doesn't match the Formula S (of course). Curious if anyone has experience with other smaller-size amps, battery-powered or not. I've read mixed things about the Broadway amp from XI Audio which is battery-powered.

May 30, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #8,280 of 22,434
Does anyone have any feedback on 'transportable' amp options to drive the Abyss Phi or TC?
I just got a Rupert Neve RNHP from B&H, which beats the Hugo 2 on its own but doesn't match the Formula S (of course). Curious if anyone has experience with other smaller-size amps, battery-powered or not. I've read mixed things about the Broadway amp from XI Audio which is battery-powered.
I have an original Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it does quite well with my OG’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back