The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #61 of 22,438
Quote:
Stop talking crazy guys! Do you how much R&D went into the cables alone? Jesus Christ, the gorgeous state-of-the-art cables by themselves are easily worth $5000~$6000. They're practically giving the headphone away as an accessory to the awesome cable. The fact that the headphones look just as gorgeous as the cable is a HUGE PLUS and probably one of the first reasons to buy this. Out of the many many reasons.

Now don't let me get started on the patent-pending awesome leather satchel and headphone stand. JPS is no doubt taking a huge loss selling these for such a low price. The Abyss is the bargain of the decade. It'll easily be product of 2013, or better yet the best value/performance of the decade. Buy these quickly before JPS raises the price to what these should be.  

Good point, would be interesting to know how much the cables and headphones cost individually. My assumption is judging from the attitude and position Joe said in my other thread about how they invested $50k on tools and machinery to make these, it comes off to me that they are actually doing the right thing selling these at $5k, so it is justifiable for them to keep making them because they invested $50k on machinery sort of leveraging the cost of tools acquired alone.

Oh and for that matter I wouldn't be surprised if there $250-1000 are worth no more than $50 for parts and all. I suggest those interested in why I said this to google Virtual Dynamics - $15 cable.

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #67 of 22,438
I've mentioned in the original post already, but both Rendra and George were telling me that "the cables themselves are worth about a fifth to a quarter of the asking price ($1000-$1250)".

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #70 of 22,438
I think they should've done something like this:

http://www.crystalrocked.com/store/index.php/shop/gold-dr-dre.html

To the Abyss so it would be more worthy of the 5k.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #74 of 22,438
Quote:
Yup, and charge $10000 for the privilege of selling an electrostat.

$15000, because Joe from JPS will make up an excuse "oh but we invested $xxxxxxxx amount of dollars in machinery so we are charging $10000 for the headphones + $5000 for the cables because it uses 5 specially made unicorn hair wire strands able to withstand 580v of smack". 
size]

It pisses me off just thinking about it and his response in my thread.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #75 of 22,438
Seriously though stats are much harder to engineer and manufacture. They need some really good infrastructure to get going. As much as I like Hifiman for their value and sound, the Jade proved to be their Waterloo. JPS will need someone of Fang,s calibre if they want to make a proper stat.
Kingsound has been in the business for a decade and even they screw up sometimes with their speakers. I ended up getting a Nakamichi clone stat speaker set instead of Kingsound due to reliability reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back